News media gripe by Psychosis39
Started on: 12-14-2006 02:13 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: sostock on 12-15-2006 03:40 PM
Psychosis39

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Psychosis39Send a Private Message to Psychosis39Direct Link to This Post
I don't understand why they have to try to scare us all the time. We have a new terrorist every couple months to a week!
Fear is a tool that hitler used to keep germany under then thumb during world war 2.

Just something to think about

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

I don't understand why they have to try to scare us all the time.

'Cuz good news don't sell papers, beee-yatch! (Or 'ups' the hitcount, yo)

Here's the local news on a typical day:

A local couple murdered on the street by some random guy. here's his pic.
*shows a pic of a guy in a hood, could be anyone*

Some Celebrity did somethin' GOOOFY! Details to come!

Another 5 soldiers die in Iraq due to a car bomb, and a suicide bomber kills 17, wounds 22.

Scients now say that bacon is GOOD for you? Hear about the new diet that guarantees you'll be wrapped in weight loss!

Sports and Weather after the break....

------------------
I am trying to significantly reduce the amount of news I view.

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2006 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Bacon is good for you? Sweet!! ....Wait I don't eat pork.

Media sells you what you want to buy. If you don't want to consume it don't. Ratings and viewer/subscription rates will fall. The buisness modle will change or die out.
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
While we're ranting on the media, I just hate how they spend more time selling/promoting upcoming stories than they actually spend on the stories, and facts............. where the heck did they go!
My favorite is the teaser, "something that could effect you and your loved ones!, coming up on (insert name here)", you stay awake or stay tuned in to hear this important news and it takes less time to tell you what they were going to tell you than the dang promo they ran to keep you tuned in! If it's that darn important why don't they just tell me the news to start with.
There seems to be more hype and promotion than actual content, and it seems to be true for every news outlet.

Alright, I have to rest for a while now and take my blood pressure.............................

and oh yeah, whats up with the interviewers talking and giving their opinion more than the people they are interviewing, I'm sorry we are out of time because I have to be the center of attention and get my opinion across!

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

[This message has been edited by DRA (edited 12-14-2006).]

Psychosis39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Psychosis39Send a Private Message to Psychosis39Direct Link to This Post
"and oh yeah, whats up with the interviewers talking and giving their opinion more than the people they are interviewing, I'm sorry we are out of time because I have to be the center of attention and get my opinion across!"

To me that screams Fox News

What started this rant is during one of the mornings for PT I was lifting at the gym and all I here is Iraq this and different terrorists that. There is always some random name and 10 second loop they show over and over again. I feel like we are starting to live in an orwellian fantasy world. Bush doesn't hear the words coming out of his mouth, there is always a new terrorist, something else is going to kill you, remember be vigilant and blah blah blah.

These last few years I feel like I have actually gotten dumber by watching the news.....

DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Psychosis39:

"and oh yeah, whats up with the interviewers talking and giving their opinion more than the people they are interviewing, I'm sorry we are out of time because I have to be the center of attention and get my opinion across!"

To me that screams Fox News

What started this rant is during one of the mornings for PT I was lifting at the gym and all I here is Iraq this and different terrorists that. There is always some random name and 10 second loop they show over and over again. I feel like we are starting to live in an orwellian fantasy world. Bush doesn't hear the words coming out of his mouth, there is always a new terrorist, something else is going to kill you, remember be vigilant and blah blah blah.

These last few years I feel like I have actually gotten dumber by watching the news.....

I used to think Fox was the worst about this but the more I watch, even the local news, it seems they all are trying to be entertainment outlets rather than news outlets. I guess it all boils down to ratings and in the end MONEY!

[This message has been edited by DRA (edited 12-14-2006).]

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
just so you are careful and aware of your suroundings

I don't understand why they have to try to scare us all the time. We have a new terrorist every couple months to a week!
Fear is a tool that hitler used to keep germany under then thumb during world war 2.

[This message has been edited by proff (edited 12-14-2006).]

Psychosis39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Psychosis39Send a Private Message to Psychosis39Direct Link to This Post
I understand being aware of our surroundings but a line needs to be drawn.
To me the War on Terror is a soap opera and George Bush is a teenage heart throb.
The war on terror brought about so many changes to the media its insane. I don't remember news casters
putting their own spin on things all the time like they do now. Like I said before as every year goes by
I think we move closer and closer to the george orwell book of 1984. They bring about wars, tighten the grasp on society, and bring about total control. I don't think it will be to that same extent but we are moving toward that direction.

I am rambling I am sorry but I had to get it out because I see it on the news everyday when I do PT at the gym and when I go on the internet.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post

I understand being aware of our surroundings but a line needs to be drawn.
To me the War on Terror is a soap opera and George Bush is a teenage heart throb.
The war on terror brought about so many changes to the media its insane. I don't remember news casters
putting their own spin on things all the time like they do now. Like I said before as every year goes by
I think we move closer and closer to the george orwell book of 1984. They bring about wars, tighten the grasp on society, and bring about total control. I don't think it will be to that same extent but we are moving toward that direction.

I am rambling I am sorry but I had to get it out because I see it on the news everyday when I do PT at the gym and when I go on the internet.

I agree
what what I see in the US news
everything is about the war
too much is bad
we don't hear alot about it but just enough to know that whats going on

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Also convince you to be suspicious around muslims and think other muslims condone violence.. Also sound familiar?
Psychosis39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Psychosis39Send a Private Message to Psychosis39Direct Link to This Post
Thats what I see alot of too is the media creating an anti muslim settiment. To me its sickining because I've gone to school with some muslims and one of my good friends is one. Its almost like our media makes us dumbed down and close minded to just everyone is out to get you and mohammed is waiting around the corner. I have met many muslims in the Army and most of us are open minded enough to not give him any flack for it. But, you throw in the general public and they are ignorant as all hell.

I think this freedom we fight for is a bit 2 faced.....

We now spell freedom as PATRIOT ACT
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Almost all "news" in the US comes from large "news" companies. They are owned by profit-loving corporations who get their money from political bigwigs, companies that will pay a fortune to sell their product no matter what, and other big companies that like to influence things in their favor. (BTW, pharmeceutical companies paying to advertise brand name drugs? that's just wrong...)

The result is that the "news" we all see in the US is only what these companies decide they want to tell us. Some of it is true, much is omitted, almost all of it is some form of liberal/conservative propaganda or bias, often even outright lies. So far that's all facts. Now my opinion, or as much as I can write before I get disgusted and have to distract myself... The content is like.... it's nothing! If it's not scare tactics and the "fear and virtue" plots orchestrated by politicians, it's complete mindless garbage.

It's so bad that I don't even watch the news most of the time. Once in a while I'll catch something on the Daily Show, or more often on public radio. I get so depressed, exasperated and enraged all at the same time because of this and because of so many Americans' willingness to eat it up, and to remain ignorant and politically shallow by their own choice. Yes, I'm an American too... it's just that sometimes I'm not quite so proud of it... It's a great country in some ways, but politically (and I include media in politics now) so many sheeple have let themselves be taken for a ride by the wackos.

Ugh... I have to get my mind off of this before I go insane. Just my 2 cents: The problem with corporations is that we let CEOs run them, and the politicians run the CEOs. The problem with the government and politics is that we let politicians run it!
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

FieroGT42

2992 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Thats what I see alot of too is the media creating an anti muslim settiment. To me its sickining because I've gone to school with some muslims and one of my good friends is one. Its almost like our media makes us dumbed down and close minded to just everyone is out to get you and mohammed is waiting around the corner. I have met many muslims in the Army and most of us are open minded enough to not give him any flack for it. But, you throw in the general public and they are ignorant as all hell.

I think this freedom we fight for is a bit 2 faced.....

We now spell freedom as PATRIOT ACT

Yeah, watch the show 30 Days (or something like that), the episode where a Christian spends a month in a Muslim community. In the end he's back home (America, I think) still dressed as a Muslim with a beard and everything, and he's given a clipboard and asked to go around and get signatures for a petition to end profiling. People treat him like he had a vest of explosives or something because I assume one of the rules was not telling them that he was Christian...
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
I just got done meeting an Iraqi. First time I met him. Born in Baghdad. Out in 1991 and to the U.S.

He is 31. He flies pretty frequently. He isn't muslim, but definitely looks arab. He told me that he gets screened at the airport, and that he gets randomly picked by computer to be searched again. EVERY time.

His attitude? "I'm being profiled. Duh. I am an arab-looking 31 year old male. Of COURSE I am being profiled. Annoying? Of course. Personally insulting? Not in the least. Thanks for trying to assure my safety and the safety of those traveling on the same plane as me."

After 9-11, he got a visit at his home by the FBI. We want access to all your financial records. His response. "Sure. Here you go. Anything else you need, you let me know." After totally cleared, they said, "Thanks for being so cooperative. Here is our card. Anything you need, call us."

News coverage? Never. Will never happen. Because that is the over-whelming norm.

So my question is--why are people even WATCHING the news? I don't. If there is anything I need to know, I figure I will hear it in O/T of Pennock's.
Second question--why do they still get to CALL it news? They should have to call it Fox Editorials. Or CNN Headline Editorials. Or the CBS Evening Editorials with who is it now, Couric?
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i used to watch several hrs of fox and cnn a day. now i just flip it on to make sure the world isn't ending or the sky is falling. after a while it made me depressed and have high anxiety.

the local news is just as bad. i just hit their websites to check on the weather and everyday its the same bad crap happening to the same good people.

It wears a person down after a while.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock