Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  HD-DVD Or BluRay Drives Available For Computers? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
HD-DVD Or BluRay Drives Available For Computers? by Boondawg
Started on: 12-06-2006 03:57 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Fieros_Forever on 12-11-2006 02:58 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 337
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Will they make and sell them for computers?
Or do they already?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
So it would be best to just buy a gaming console with a BluRay player built in?
Which one has that?
Or do they have a console with a HD-DVD player built in?
Is the media for both players interchangable? (HD-DVD & BluRay)

I see alot of HD-DVD's for sale at the store.
They want $500 bucks for the player, though.

Sure would like to be getting me into some of those HD-DVD's!
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
Sony PS3 is the only Blu-Ray console. But good luck getting one. Don't buy a PC Blu-Ray burner at inflated early release prices, wait, they'll go down. From the reviews, it looks like they don't have all the kinks worked out. Plus Blu-Ray disks are $16 a piece.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2006 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancClick Here to Email PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Blue Ray is SONY only for now. For the price of a player you can get a PS3. However no new PS3s will be avalible for several months. (March-ish)
debug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for debugClick Here to visit debug's HomePageSend a Private Message to debugDirect Link to This Post
Boondawg, the $200 HD-DVD player that is meant for the Xbox 360 is just a USB drive. It can be hooked up to a computer and does work. You have to get a driver for it to work, but nothing special otherwise. The last time I checked they didn't have working software that would play the HD-DVD movies correctly yet, but it shouldn't be too long before something is available.

-Randy
Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2006 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Don't bother with HD-DVD... it's going the way of the Beta, I can tell you now. Sony, putting the Blu-Ray into a hot gaming console and coming up with a NEW and UNIQUE logo (unlike that HD-DVD crap), is bound to take off like a rocket. I'm not even considering HD-DVD if I'm to get in on this new-format race...

HD-DVD is destined for the junkyard. Paired up with the wrong team (Microsoft and their band of DRM cronies) and totally bland and non-unique with name and design... nah. I'll take Blu-Ray, thx!

Oh, and I remember early on, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were said to have burners and readers available at the same time... and there they are - available, but not cheap. I still don't understand how Sony is getting away with selling a Blu-Ray player inside the PS3 at such a "low" price... considering the price of standalone players...

------------------

'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153k miles, stock everything, just trying to make it all work again.
Shameless self promotion: PIP giving you problems? Check out
http://hostfile.org!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon4:

I still don't understand how Sony is getting away with selling a Blu-Ray player inside the PS3 at such a "low" price... considering the price of standalone players...

Which is exactly what I was wondering!
Buy the player, get a FREE gaming system!
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:
Which is exactly what I was wondering!
Buy the player, get a FREE gaming system!

They're selling PS3's at a loss, hoping to get 10 fold back in game sales.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2006 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancClick Here to Email PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

They're selling PS3's at a loss, hoping to get 10 fold back in game sales.

Exactly SONY loses about $250 - $300 per unit. But as soon as GT5 and the next grand theft comes out and sell a million copies It'll be ok.
buger_57

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buger_57Click Here to Email buger_57Send a Private Message to buger_57Direct Link to This Post
If Sony keeps up its precedence on choosing a popular information platform say goodbye to blu-ray...look at their past record...they were beat out by SD instead of Stick, CD instead of Minidisk im not pulling for sony in anyway on this Next Gen Entertainment. They are more expensive to produce and are more expensive in the long run. I'll stick with HD-DVD.

oh by the way...if you plan on using a PS3 as a Bluray Player...dont be surprised if it craps out within 2 years...and you have to buy a new one...the internal DVD drive on the PS2's had that problem...but thats just my 2 cents...
PFF
System Bot
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

Blue Ray is SONY only for now. For the price of a player you can get a PS3. However no new PS3s will be avalible for several months. (March-ish)

REALLY?, cause we got a shipment at work yesterday lmao
took FOREVER to sell em too lol like 1-2 an hour ppl dont want crappy $600 systems
didnt help our display unit locks up every 2-3 min of playing motor storm lol
hey for the list of sony failed formats lets add betamax and mabey umd? not shure no one seems to use umd

[This message has been edited by antinull.com (edited 12-07-2006).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Don't bother with HD-DVD... it's going the way of the Beta, I can tell you now. Sony, putting the Blu-Ray into a hot gaming console and coming up with a NEW and UNIQUE logo (unlike that HD-DVD crap), is bound to take off like a rocket. I'm not even considering HD-DVD if I'm to get in on this new-format race...

HD-DVD is destined for the junkyard. Paired up with the wrong team (Microsoft and their band of DRM cronies) and totally bland and non-unique with name and design... nah. I'll take Blu-Ray, thx!

I've heard opposite... HD-DVD has been doing better sale wise compared to Blu-Ray, I tend to believe more company's will resort to the HD-DVD, Blu-Ray is a Sony exclusive.. time will tell.

article stating some nice info http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback158.html

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 12-07-2006).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately the p0rn industry is taking the side of Blu-ray. If this turns out to be 100% true, it will be a struggle for HD-DVD in the long run. Pr0n brings in more money than Hollywood believe it or not.

Companies currently supporting Blu-ray:
Dell
Hewlett-Packard
Sony
Panasonic
Philips
Samsung
Sharp
Pioneer
LG Electronics.

Companies currently supporting HD-DVD:
Microsoft
Intel
Toshiba
Sanyo
NEC

Sony being the major Blu-Ray supporter, and Toshiba being the major HD-DVD supporter.

One big lead for Blu-ray is it's media outlet associations.. With companies like Electronic Arts and entertainment companies, Twentieth Century Fox, Vivendi Universal and Walt Disney strongly supporting the Blu-Ray format. Disney is supporting both sides in 07' supposedly, which is very huge for both formats because Disney generates literally billions of dollars in childrens titles for movies, tv shows/series, games and learning discs.

Another key point is interactive capabilities. The difference between the two? Blu-ray uses Sun Microsystems' Java software for built-in interactive features, whereas HD-DVD uses a technology called iHD that Microsoft and Toshiba have worked on. 3rd party developers will feel much much more comfortable with Sun Microsystems, since they've used them many times in the past, where-as with iHD it is new territory and really throws a learning curve into the development process for a such a fast moving industry like video disc sales/production.

So Blu-Ray, right now, is more interactive. I'd go Blu-Ray if I were buying this year. Both formats are and will be supported by the major rental stores. So in my mind, I don't see either format going obsolete anytime soon. HD-DVD has a long way to go to get out of the "beta" product description, Blu-Ray has taken one step out just from it's supporters. Both have major bugs still.

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 12-07-2006).]

Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Anything Microsoft has stuck their dicks in can go to hell...

"Blu-Ray is Sony exclusive"? Since when? I saw no less than two Plextor BD-writers in the links posted earlier... and only one Sony branded one. I don't think there's going to be a lot of problems with other companies eating this **** up.

MiniDisc didn't take off because it wasn't a prewritten format. You couldn't buy MiniDiscs albums off the shelves - that is, at ALL. Far as I know, MiniDisc was just a recording format, like Flash is for MP3 players. As far as UMDs go... well, the term "UMD" is a joke in and of itself, it's anything but "universal" - it only plays on the screen of a PSP! The only discs were pre-recorded so there's another issue.

Now with Blu-Ray, being both recordable, mass produced, content-provider friendly, AND available in one of the hotter next-gen game consoles... I think we're headed for a winner. I see "HD-DVD" and I think "big fat joke extension of DVD". I see Blu-Ray and I see "shiny new technology".

Seriously, which one would you buy if you saw the two logos next to each other?

Chop the "HD" off "DVD" and you have a bona fide DVD logo. "HD" is just a cheap tack-on extension.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They still havent even gotten DVDs right yet and their inventing 'better' already.........I dont think so. Dont get me started on DVD recording equipment.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
well what I meant by sony exclusive didn't they bring it out? haven't heard to much other then sony when I hear talks about blu-ray
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Blu-ray is Sony, just like Betamax was. Sony does license the tech for other vendors, though.

I think it's too early to tell which (if either) will become the new standard. I don't see both surviving. Given Sony's love of proprietary formats and how they market them until they fail, I wouldn't be surprised if Blu-Ray fails, too. (remember Betamax and Mini-Discs?) The tech is good, but how Sony markets them dooms them to failure.

Now they're selling them in the PS3 at a loss. And it's not even for game sales, either. By flooding the market with Blu-Ray consoles, they're hoping to get enough out there to win people over. The PS3 will sell regardless, and once people have a Blu-Ray device, why spend money on an HD-DVD? That strategy may work. Only time will tell.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Seriously, which one would you buy if you saw the two logos next to each other?

Chop the "HD" off "DVD" and you have a bona fide DVD logo. "HD" is just a cheap tack-on extension.

So, you make your technology buying decisions based on who has the prettiest logo?
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

So, you make your technology buying decisions based on who has the prettiest logo?

now that makes me laugh

they both have their advantages and disadvantages... Blu-Ray will be strictly Blu-Ray, it'll hold 50-60 GB.. HD-DVD will have normal viewing and high def viewing on there but won't hold nearly as much 30-45 GB. Being how HD-DVD has both that kind of wins me over right there.

one thing I never understood if HD-DVD is doing that with one single disc, how come they never did a wide screen/full screen on EVERY dvd.. I for awhile I liked full screen, but hate it with a passion now

all and all people are going to have to upgrade like crazy if they want to experience the hi-def phenomenon. I just picked up my HDTV last month wasn't 1080p, but to go that route it would've cost me $800 more. Am I happy with what I got oh heck yes, even with that movies/games look soooo much better I'm sure sooner or later I'll end up picking up the HD-DVD player for the 360 being how I own one already.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 12-07-2006).]

Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Whoever knows enough to make a decent logo is generally the one to get the most marketing. And god knows, whoever gets the most marketing and kisses the most corporate ass, gets the deal. As is the deal with 100% of HP's consumer line of products, if you advertise well, you can sell a box of frog **** and make it look like gold.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Whoever knows enough to make a decent logo is generally the one to get the most marketing. And god knows, whoever gets the most marketing and kisses the most corporate ass, gets the deal. As is the deal with 100% of HP's consumer line of products, if you advertise well, you can sell a box of frog **** and make it look like gold.

So you buy frog **** rather than gold, as long as you get the pretty box and a nice logo. Just checking.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Neither of them impress me, nor would I expect them to, its a logo. Anyone who bases a $1000 purchase on a logo is insane.

As for the format war, hell if I know. Im not buying anything thats going to be selling for 1/2 or less of its price in 6 months, so Ill wait and see.
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

I sincerely hope that by that statement you're not implying that Sony wears a halo when it comes to DRM. ...or have you forgotten their rootkit already?
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2006 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
No, but at least Sony can be sued. Microsoft owns the ****ing operating system.
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassClick Here to Email intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Whats funny about this whole argument, is that with Hollywood running empty on film ideas, what are you going to watch on "Blue Ray" or "HD DVD".... All the greats have been done already...

So your left with the crap they have been putting out, but in high def?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some movies that I wouldn't mind owning. I know for FACT there are a couple TV shows I would like to watch in hi-def (but thats more for the TV itself)....

I gues what I'm sayn is "are you going to stand in line to buy a blue ray of "ROCKY BALLBOA"?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by intlcutlass:

I gues what I'm sayn is "are you going to stand in line to buy a blue ray of "ROCKY BALLBOA"?

Apocalypse Now
The Fifth Eliment
Starship Troopers

I'll take those, for now.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

No, but at least Sony can be sued. Microsoft owns the ****ing operating system.

problems with other companies eating this **** up.

a box of frog **** and make it look like gold.

Why are you so pasionate about this subject, every post you've made is **** this or **** that. Im mean Jeeze, its a media format.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Apocalypse Now
The Fifth Eliment
Starship Troopers

I'll take those, for now.

Unfortunately The Fifth Element will look better on regular DVD than either HiDef format. The Fifth Element has long been hailed as a fantastic DVD to test and demonstrate your home theatre because of how well it was mastered. It's perfect. However, in the rush to the market, they didn't master the HiDef version with the same care, so it actually looks worse than the regular DVD.

Hopefully that will be fixed in a future release.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:
Why are you so pasionate about this subject, every post you've made is **** this or **** that. Im mean Jeeze, its a media format.

I wondered that too and his arguements are McAwful. Blu-ray will win because they have a betterr logo. Are you kidding me? Blu-ray has a higher maximum data yeild per disc, but cost more to produce. Also the tooling for Blu-ray is completely different, whereas it is an easy transition between DVD and HD-DVD. Blu-ray players and disc are more expensive currently rewritable and readable. I like the idea of Blu-ray just fine and with Sony backing it, especially with their movie labels, it will be quite a difficult battle for HD-DVD. However Sony is TERRIBLE in making a usable format. As previously mentioned you have MD, Betamax, Memory Stick (all variants of this), I dont think atrac was mentioned. Sony's formats all flop it seems, quite a bad rap to overcome...
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Not my fault the forum filters out a four-letter word meaning "really bad crap" and another four-letter word meaning "really, really, in a bad way" (or "to screw" or various other meanings). They're legitimate words...
PFF
System Bot
aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerClick Here to Email aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerDirect Link to This Post
Personally i think HD will win out mainly because people are familiar with the HD name.

One other good point several others have made is that Sony has a reputation for backing failed formats another one i can add is the SACD (Super Audio CD) which got beat out by the DVD Music.

I have had issues with microsoft products but the 360 doesnt lock up on 3 times a day like the ps3 does that I have at work. I work in the electronics dept at target and i have to reboot the ps3 a few times a day the 360 has been fine since the day we put the console in.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2006 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageClick Here to Email Falcon4Send a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aerosmithr0cker:

another one i can add is the SACD (Super Audio CD) which got beat out by the DVD Music.

Considering as though I've never seen either one (srsly, WTF is a "dvd audio" disc?), I don't think you can call either a "winner" just yet. XD
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Considering as though I've never seen either one (srsly, WTF is a "dvd audio" disc?), I don't think you can call either a "winner" just yet. XD

Just because you haven't heard of something doesnt make it not very nice or not the winner. I have heard of both. Neither are a match for Ipod and flash media, but both served their purpose. I bet I can come up with a list of VERY expensive name brand products that you aren't familiar with, not really the point of this thread however. Sony has backed/made many losing formats in the past. Even with the PS3 having a Blu-ray drive, it will be a tough competition. I personally think they will win this time. Especially with all the power they have in the movie industry. Gett some biig tittles that they release only on Blu-ray and Microsoft will be in for some trouble. Of course combo players are probably going to be somewhat common in my opinion.

Lonzo
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Don't bother with HD-DVD... it's going the way of the Beta, I can tell you now.

And as it turns out, it's the other way around (link to PDF file).
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniClick Here to Email DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Myself, I don't plan to purchase an actual player until I see what the movie industry (as a whole) decides is the format of choice. So far, I've seen a few commercials showing that Disney is using the Blu-ray DVD format; so now it's just a matter of time to see what some of the other companies decide to go with.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

So far, I've seen a few commercials showing that Disney is using the Blu-ray DVD format;

How come I'm not surprised Disney is choosing the format that is least resistant to scratches? I mean, a Blu-Ray disk in the hands of a 2-3 year old for just two seconds means another trip to Best Buy.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

How come I'm not surprised Disney is choosing the format that is least resistant to scratches? I mean, a Blu-Ray disk in the hands of a 2-3 year old for just two seconds means another trip to Best Buy.

Heeehe.
That right there is Good Big Buisness!
You just know they want media (songs, movies) "good for only 5 viewings"!

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniClick Here to Email DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

...Which is why we make back-up copies of our Disney movies. If our daughter scratches one of the backups, then we're only out the cost of the blank DVD (about 33 cents).
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerClick Here to Email jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Interesting point, but one I can answer.

How about "The sound of music" or "Gone with the wind" in 35mm film quality?

There is a terrific amount of high quality films out there to be converted to hi def quality, and it doesn't have to be new.

What's REALLY interesting to me is that my old Pioneer Laser Discs STILL look better than standard def DVD by a LONG way.

John Stricker

Originally posted by intlcutlass:

Whats funny about this whole argument, is that with Hollywood running empty on film ideas, what are you going to watch on "Blue Ray" or "HD DVD".... All the greats have been done already...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some movies that I wouldn't mind owning. I know for FACT there are a couple TV shows I would like to watch in hi-def (but thats more for the TV itself)....

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock