Started on: 12-05-2006 05:39 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: DRA on 12-08-2006 02:05 AM
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
A friend of my gal wants to know what I want for a Doctor Zhivago hardback I have.
Being unemployed since June, not my choice but Doctors orders, I am getting pretty desperate for cash.

The book appears to me to be an American first edition, I've looked on the net (am still looking) and find prices from .01 to 175.00. I don't want to take advantage of her and at the same time I don't want to just giveaway something that was left by my grandfather.

Publisher is Pantheon, the info from the book,

top of the page says "FIRST PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 1958"

at the bottom, (going to use @ symbol to denote the copyright symbol)

@1957 Giangiacomo Feltrinelli Editore, Milano, Italy
@1958 in the English translation, Wm. Collins Sons & Co., Ltd., London
@1958 in authorized revisions to the English translation
by Pantheon Books Inc., New York, N.Y.
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 58-8005
Manufactured in the United States of America
by H. Wolff Book Mfg. Co., New York, N.Y.

Any idea of the actual value of this book, opinions or experience with selling old books?

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
It's not a first edition, so not much. Condition would matter in this case more than anything else. I think being a long way away from a first printing, the value becomes completely subjective. I suspect it's probably not worth $20.

Check this out to see what locators are asking for used versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Zhivago-Boris-Leonidovich-Pasternak/dp/0394607864

Try this link and look down for the editions from Pantheon in similar condition to yours

In 1957 publisher Giangiacomo Feltrinelli smuggled the manuscript out of the Soviet Union and published the book in Russian in Milan by Feltrinelli edition. The following year, it appeared in Italian and English translations, and these publications were partly responsible for the fact that the author was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1958.

So the first edition would not be in English...

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 12-05-2006).]

88 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
First Editions are worth more for collectors. Check eBay history to see if you can come up up with market prices. Condition also has a lot to do with value. A fairly popular book like Dr. Zhivago would have more people looking for a copy, but probably more were printed too.
eBay seems to have at least three or four first editions on there now.
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

It's not a first edition, so not much. Condition would matter in this case more than anything else. I think being a long way away from a first printing, the value becomes completely subjective. I suspect it's probably not worth $20.

Check this out to see what locators are asking for used versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Zhivago-Boris-Leonidovich-Pasternak/dp/0394607864

Try this link and look down for the editions from Pantheon in similar condition to yours

I can't find any useful info from the link you posted, it just lists current reprints (1991).
The book I have appears to be a first edition for America according to all the info I can find but what I don't understand is the big diferences in pricing on sites. It does appear that sites with rediculously low pricing do not have the book available where the sites that do have the book range from $30 (fair condition) to $175 (fine condition including dust jacket).

One I found on e-bay appears to be in comparable condition but is listed as signed by the Author.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DOCTOR-ZHIVAGO-SIGNED-BY-AUTHOR-B-PASTERNAK-1958_W0QQitemZ220055830384QQihZ012QQcategoryZ29223QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess this is a commercial site.
http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.com/html/doctor_zhivago_by_boris_paster.html

Amazon lists the 1958 issue with a list price of $19.95 but the book is not available, only more recent reprints from the 90's at $14.98.

I was considering $20 as a fair price.
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

DRA

4543 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by 88 Formula:

First Editions are worth more for collectors. Check eBay history to see if you can come up up with market prices. Condition also has a lot to do with value. A fairly popular book like Dr. Zhivago would have more people looking for a copy, but probably more were printed too.
eBay seems to have at least three or four first editions on there now.

I tried doing a search of completed listings on e-bay but I'm not signed up so it would not allow the search. I saw the current ones but really didn't want to have to watch them to see where they go as far as pricing.

BTW appreciate the input from you guys so far, the help is appreciated.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
look here: http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=pasternak&title=Doctor+Zhivago&lang=en&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*&first_ed=on&destination=us¤cy=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

Or try:

www.powells.com

It's really hard to say, probably none of us are collectors, it depends on the book's condition, and probably other stuff (is the book jacket present and in good shape?) Finally tho, it's like lots of stuff it's worth whatever someone will give you for it.
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Okay, I have determined that this is a first edition, published by Pantheon. New to the way these things are determined but from what research I have done so far the fact that there are no other publishing dates listed under "first published September 1958" this is the first printing for this book in the United States.

It appears Granpa had a thing fo first editions, another one I glanced at has only one date in it, 1928.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
http://tinyurl.com/yz37sv

Guess hyperlinking it made it to confusing.

Check the above link, shows copies from various publishers in various conditions from a few bucks to a few hundred. The higher asking prices seem a bit nuts... A service that Border's Books refers people to for used books is selling a good paperback copy for over $30, yet $11 will get you a good condition version of the first english translation hardcover like you have.
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

http://tinyurl.com/yz37sv

Guess hyperlinking it made it to confusing.

Check the above link, shows copies from various publishers in various conditions from a few bucks to a few hundred. The higher asking prices seem a bit nuts... A service that Border's Books refers people to for used books is selling a good paperback copy for over $30, yet $11 will get you a good condition version of the first english translation hardcover like you have.

The ones I see for around $11 are not from the same publisher or say they are a first edition 13th or 8th printing, or 131st - 150th thousand November 1958, ex-library book with markings, etc, etc, etc,.
Looking at a couple of sources for identifying actual "First Editions" the consensus seems to be that if there is nothing after the "First Published XXXX" or "First Printed XXXX" or whatever they use to identify the actual first run of the book by the particular printer then it is indeed a "First Edition". There is no info on whether this is the 1st printing or 30th printing on the book I have, simply "First Published September 1958".

I do tend to agree with Brian though, like everything else it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I appreciate the help so far guys, at this point I'm thinking about telling her I will take 20 bucks just so I don't have to research this any further! LOL It's been a while since I sold any of my books, last ones were a set by Winston Churchill, I think it was called a History of Western Civilization, I got $150 from a local buyer for the set. I had taken them to a local dealer who offered me about $30 for the set, he had a set on display with a $300 price tag on it (talk about markup!). At the time I didn't even think to look at whether they were first edition or not, I just knew they were old, very old.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Value is what someone is willing to pay for it. I put stuff on ebay with an outrageous reserve and just see what it gets. Ive had diecast old Nascars I paid $5-10 for , bring $300-400.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
The First Englsih Edition is the most common and the highest value amongst collectors in general. A fine copy can fetch around $300 these days if it is in original dustjacket in fine condition. The first American edition would fetch around $35.

Now if you have any Dashiell Hammett first editions...let's talk!
PFF
System Bot
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

The First Englsih Edition is the most common and the highest value amongst collectors in general. A fine copy can fetch around $300 these days if it is in original dustjacket in fine condition. The first American edition would fetch around $35.

Now if you have any Dashiell Hammett first editions...let's talk!

After researching this more than I ever wanted to and listening to the input from everyone here I'm going to offer her the book for $20. I do think $35 would be fair market value and am amazed at the ones I have seen listed for well over $100.
The friend wants it for her mother who is a big fan of the author, if I was not in the financial situation I am right now I would just give her the book but things are tight right now.

Thanks guys for taking the time to give me your opinions and sources, I do appreciate it.

Toddster, I do have a few other books that appear to be first editions, I can take some pics of the copyright page and such if your interested. Some of them appear to be in decent condition considering how old they are, others not so much so.
Maybe I'll start a seperate thread as I have a few grand in prints and art I need to help my gal get rid of, might have a "save Dave" from financial ruin sale!
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRA:

Toddster, I do have a few other books that appear to be first editions, I can take some pics of the copyright page and such if your interested. Some of them appear to be in decent condition considering how old they are, others not so much so.
Maybe I'll start a seperate thread as I have a few grand in prints and art I need to help my gal get rid of, might have a "save Dave" from financial ruin sale!

I've been dealing in rare books on the side for 24 years. I am also part of a new start-up lending money on valuebale art work called ARTLoan.

I'd be happy to look at what you have but don't be too hopeful. They call them rare books for a reason.
DRA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I've been dealing in rare books on the side for 24 years. I am also part of a new start-up lending money on valuebale art work called ARTLoan.

I'd be happy to look at what you have but don't be too hopeful. They call them rare books for a reason.

Most of the books I have are definately not main stream stuff so I'm sure there aren't a lot of folks looking for them. I sold a bunch as a lot a few years ago and got about $400 for maybe 50 books and the case they were in. Probably could have done better selling them individually but the time involved in finding a buyer who is looking for one particular title would have taken a very large commitment time wise, and we all know time is money!

I'll start a new thread when I get a chance to take some pics of the stuff.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock