BCS by The ROK
Started on: 12-03-2006 10:50 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Formula88 on 12-07-2006 04:05 PM
The ROK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The ROKSend a Private Message to The ROKDirect Link to This Post
What are yalls takes on the BCS bowls?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I think that, most likely, Michigan is probably the 2nd best team in the country. That said, they had their shot at Ohio State, let someone else have theirs. Florida is as good a try as any of them. I look at it this way, if it were a playoff system, Michigan would be out anyway.

John Stricker
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
playoffs NOW
just like the smaller schools do it
4-5 week break is nuts
let the bowls keep the sponcors [stupid name bowl ect]
but lets make then count for something in a playoff format

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
It's time for a playoff. It's going to happen. I think enough people are on board to make it happen. It adds another round during what has been a month break. No money is being made during that break. It's one of those rare circumstances where increased fairness will be more profitable.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a fan of any team. I just find it stupid that people are saying michigan is the 2nd best team but florida deserves it's shot. No it doesn't. It doesn't matter if michigan already played Ohio. If there the 2nd best team then they should be in the bcs. The one comment that I find really dumb is the guys that are saying It's not fair for Ohio to play them again What does that have to do with anything or better yet "People don't want to see them play again". Well no one wanted to see that crappy world Series we had this year as evidenced by the Tv rateings but I didn't see MLB changeing the match up. If there the 2 best teams then that's who plays. I have nothing against Florida..If someone voted for them because they think they are the better team then that's fine but they shouldn't have voted for them if it was because they didn't want to see that matchup again.

[This message has been edited by firstfiero (edited 12-04-2006).]

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
That is why the current system sucks. The whole rating thing is unfair to everybody. Why should the rankings be determined by a vote. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Every other sport on the planet has some sort of playoffs to determine who the champion is except NCAA football.

I think at the very least Florida should have to play Michigan to see who plays Ohio State.

[This message has been edited by fieroluv (edited 12-04-2006).]

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I don't disagree there should be playoffs. If I were king of the world, the Saturday before Christmas would be a 4 team playoff that still uses the same BCS rankings and take the top 4. #4 vs #1 and #3 vs #2, then the two victors play Jan 1 for the national championship. I don't think anyone could argue that ONE of the top 4 teams in the BCS are not the best team in the country. Could either make two NEW bowl games (more money) or use two existing ones.

That said, that's not the system we have. Michigan had their shot and got beat. They don't deserve a "do over". Nobody else does either. You can make the same argument about USC. They got beat Saturday and MY feeling is they are a better team than Michigan. Are they? Who knows, but they couldn't prove it so they're out. In fact, they didn't even look good Saturday.

Playoffs aren't perfect either. KC played Cleveland yesterday. KC's a better team on both sides of the ball. Cleveland has sucked all year but YESTERDAY KC sucked a lot worse and got beat. That doesn't make Cleveland the better team, they just played a better game yesterday. Hat's off to Cleveland, they came with their game faces on and KC left theirs at home, they deserved to win, but that doesn't mean they're the better of the two teams.

I'm going to be curious about the comments if Florida should beat Ohio State in the National Championship game. Wouldn't that be a fine kettle of fish?? (and yes, it can happen. Stranger things than that HAVE happened)

John Stricker
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

I don't disagree there should be playoffs. If I were king of the world, the Saturday before Christmas would be a 4 team playoff that still uses the same BCS rankings and take the top 4. #4 vs #1 and #3 vs #2, then the two victors play Jan 1 for the national championship. I don't think anyone could argue that ONE of the top 4 teams in the BCS are not the best team in the country. Could either make two NEW bowl games (more money) or use two existing ones.

That said, that's not the system we have. Michigan had their shot and got beat. They don't deserve a "do over". Nobody else does either. You can make the same argument about USC. They got beat Saturday and MY feeling is they are a better team than Michigan. Are they? Who knows, but they couldn't prove it so they're out. In fact, they didn't even look good Saturday.

Playoffs aren't perfect either. KC played Cleveland yesterday. KC's a better team on both sides of the ball. Cleveland has sucked all year but YESTERDAY KC sucked a lot worse and got beat. That doesn't make Cleveland the better team, they just played a better game yesterday. Hat's off to Cleveland, they came with their game faces on and KC left theirs at home, they deserved to win, but that doesn't mean they're the better of the two teams.

I'm going to be curious about the comments if Florida should beat Ohio State in the National Championship game. Wouldn't that be a fine kettle of fish?? (and yes, it can happen. Stranger things than that HAVE happened)

John Stricker

I'm predicting Florida by a field goal. No, I'm not a Florida fan but what the heck.
------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 12-04-2006).]

gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
Go Broncos to beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl!
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post

John Stricker

They don't deserve a do over? Thats your reasoning..I'll mark that with the rest of the dumb comments. Dallas beat the colts two weeks ago. So if ..and thats a big if..they both make it to the super bowl do we say they don't deserve a do over and have another team play Dallas. Of course not. They'll do it again and Dallas will have to figure out a way to beat them again. Michigan the number 2 team lost to the ohio the number one team by 3 pts in ohio. Thats pretty much a draw. Even if it was a blow out it doesn't matter if Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country then thats who should play! It has nothing to do with do overs. At the end of the season you decide who's number one and who's number 2 ...whether they played each other doesn't matter.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
If you're arguing for a playoff in the NCAA you came to the wrong place, I'm all for it. I even laid out a playoff system I'd like to see. But we don't have a playoff in the NCAA, we have the BCS ranking system.

No, your example with Dallas and Indy is not even remotely related. The NFL has a playoff system, the NCAA does not. If you're going to say Michigan should get another shot at it, then why not include Louisville? They only lost one game, to a tough, ranked opponent. Or how about Boise State, who went undefeated? Right now, the decision is based ALOT on WINNING. You lose, you're out. Sounds like a playoff to me. Michigan had a chance to beat OSU and they couldn't do it, so they're out. Time for someone else to take a crack at them.

As long as there is NO PLAYOFF SYSTEM, they don't deserve a second shot. Period. Get the playoffs in effect and then you have your second shot, just like the NFL.

John Stricker

PS: Losing by 3 points is not a draw, it's a loss. KC lost to Cleveland by three in Cleveland and guess what, it was a LOSS. 2 weeks from now nobody except KC fans will remember that they only lost by 3 but everyone will know they LOST. Michigan is NOT the #2 team in the nation, regardless of what your or my opinion on the subject might be. Florida is. They have a better winning percentage and their schedule was nearly as tough as Michigan's according to most analysts. For someone who is "not a fan of any team" you should know that already.

Originally posted by firstfiero:

They don't deserve a do over? Thats your reasoning..I'll mark that with the rest of the dumb comments. Dallas beat the colts two weeks ago. So if ..and thats a big if..they both make it to the super bowl do we say they don't deserve a do over and have another team play Dallas. Of course not. They'll do it again and Dallas will have to figure out a way to beat them again. Michigan the number 2 team lost to the ohio the number one team by 3 pts in ohio. Thats pretty much a draw. Even if it was a blow out it doesn't matter if Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country then thats who should play! It has nothing to do with do overs. At the end of the season you decide who's number one and who's number 2 ...whether they played each other doesn't matter.

PFF
System Bot
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post

If you're arguing for a playoff in the NCAA you came to the wrong place, I'm all for it. I even laid out a playoff system I'd like to see. But we don't have a playoff in the NCAA, we have the BCS ranking system.

No, your example with Dallas and Indy is not even remotely related. The NFL has a playoff system, the NCAA does not. If you're going to say Michigan should get another shot at it, then why not include Louisville? They only lost one game, to a tough, ranked opponent. Or how about Boise State, who went undefeated? Right now, the decision is based ALOT on WINNING. You lose, you're out. Sounds like a playoff to me. Michigan had a chance to beat OSU and they couldn't do it, so they're out. Time for someone else to take a crack at them.

As long as there is NO PLAYOFF SYSTEM, they don't deserve a second shot. Period. Get the playoffs in effect and then you have your second shot, just like the NFL.

John Stricker

PS: Losing by 3 points is not a draw, it's a loss. KC lost to Cleveland by three in Cleveland and guess what, it was a LOSS. 2 weeks from now nobody except KC fans will remember that they only lost by 3 but everyone will know they LOST. Michigan is NOT the #2 team in the nation, regardless of what your or my opinion on the subject might be. Florida is. They have a better winning percentage and their schedule was nearly as tough as Michigan's according to most analysts. For someone who is "not a fan of any team" you should know that already.

None of the teams you mentioned deserve a shot because they were never ranked number 2. All the bcs says is that number 2 plays number 1. There's nothing in there that says unless they already played then you can pick someone else and they don't deserve another shot. As I said in an earlier post I have no problem with florida playing if the voters honestly felt florida was the better team..I only have a problem with it if the people voteing felt Michigan was the 2nd best team in the country but voted against them because they didn't want to see them play again. That shouldn't have anything to do it with it. I don't see why they can't have at the very least the top 4 play in a playoff..hell they take off 6 weeks between the end of the season and the bowls anyway. It cracks me up that every year the bcs is a sloppy game and none of these great football minds on Tv can figure out why...Gee you don't think it might be because they haven't played a game in a month in a half do ya?
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
Which is exactly why the BCS is flawed.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Well, Michigan hasn't been #2 since they lost to Ohio State, USC has. How long or when you were #2 means nothing, it's where you finish. Your complaints about the Bowl games being sloppy while accurate, are pretty hollow. More Superbowls than not have been sloppy, bad games and they only have 2 weeks off.

Michigan lost to Ohio State.
Michigan didn't win their conference.

No matter HOW you slice it, if you can't win your conference, you shouldn't be in a national championship game. (unless there is a playoff where you can play your way back in)

John Stricker

Originally posted by firstfiero:

None of the teams you mentioned deserve a shot because they were never ranked number 2. All the bcs says is that number 2 plays number 1. There's nothing in there that says unless they already played then you can pick someone else and they don't deserve another shot. As I said in an earlier post I have no problem with florida playing if the voters honestly felt florida was the better team..I only have a problem with it if the people voteing felt Michigan was the 2nd best team in the country but voted against them because they didn't want to see them play again. That shouldn't have anything to do it with it. I don't see why they can't have at the very least the top 4 play in a playoff..hell they take off 6 weeks between the end of the season and the bowls anyway. It cracks me up that every year the bcs is a sloppy game and none of these great football minds on Tv can figure out why...Gee you don't think it might be because they haven't played a game in a month in a half do ya?

paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post

Well, Michigan hasn't been #2 since they lost to Ohio State, USC has. How long or when you were #2 means nothing, it's where you finish. Your complaints about the Bowl games being sloppy while accurate, are pretty hollow. More Superbowls than not have been sloppy, bad games and they only have 2 weeks off.

Michigan lost to Ohio State.
Michigan didn't win their conference.

No matter HOW you slice it, if you can't win your conference, you shouldn't be in a national championship game. (unless there is a playoff where you can play your way back in)

John Stricker

Then add you must win your conference to the rules of who can make the bcs...until then it doesn't matter. As far as the Super bowl..when they have had one week instead of two it has been a better game. For that I've heard the argument that when a team has two weeks to prepare the better team is almost always going to win.
BamaFieroMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BamaFieroManSend a Private Message to BamaFieroManDirect Link to This Post
I keep hearing a lot of people saying that the BCS got it right. I think that they did, but, not because the system works. The detractors are saying that the whole idea behind the BCS is to "match up the two best teams in the country", which is not the idea behind this whole BCS debacle. The idea behind the BCS is to match up the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country, not necessarily the two best teams.

Michigan may indeed beat Florida on a neutral field, or, even in Gainesville, but, I just don't see how you can play for the mythical college football national championship if you didn't win your own conference.

Just my opinion.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BamaFieroMan:

Michigan may indeed beat Florida on a neutral field, or, even in Gainesville, but, I just don't see how you can play for the mythical college football national championship if you didn't win your own conference.

Just my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

John Stricker
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BamaFieroMan:

I keep hearing a lot of people saying that the BCS got it right. I think that they did, but, not because the system works. The detractors are saying that the whole idea behind the BCS is to "match up the two best teams in the country", which is not the idea behind this whole BCS debacle. The idea behind the BCS is to match up the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country, not necessarily the two best teams

I'm from Michigan.

The BCS is to match up the #1 and #2 "ranked" teams according to their rating system. They effectively did just that. There will be plenty of argument of who the two "best" teams are.
Most conferences have a "championship game" but the big ten does not, however the OH MI game usually serves that purpose. If Ohio and Michigan were rated #1 & #2 according to the BCS with a wide margin between the rest of the teams, then I would say fine, go at it.

Yes, I would like to see Michigan play in the big game but I accept the decision of the BCS.

Oh the other hand, what if,,,,, Michigan beats USC handily and the OH FL game is a real stinker, what then?
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
I grew up in Michigan, been to UM games (loooong ago). I think probably Michigan was robbed--tho I think they would have probably ended up #2 after the national championship game.

I hate the BCS, btw. It has ruined all the other bowl games. It used to be that Rose, Orange, Sugar, etc. bowls were a big deal. A USC vs U of M Rose Bowl would have been a big deal in the past. Now they're all just consolation bowls, kinda sucks, I think.

And, imho, based on what's happened this year, BCS isn't anymore valid than the old system.
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

Oh the other hand, what if,,,,, Michigan beats USC handily and the OH FL game is a real stinker, what then?

yup that the way I see it. We need playoffs.

OSU 45 FLA 7
MI 27 USC 17

Cory

GO BUCKS!

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
BCS Determines No Team Worthy Of Facing Ohio State In Championship Game
"COLUMBUS, OH—In what many BCS officials are citing as "proof that their flawless system indeed works," no Division 1-A college football team was found to possess the sheer excellence required to face Ohio State, the No. 1 ranked team since the season began, in this year's BCS Championship game."

Behold. They have spoken.
So let it be written. So let it be done.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock