Looking for computer cables by silversurfer
Started on: 11-28-2006 12:46 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Pyrthian on 11-29-2006 10:54 AM
silversurfer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silversurferClick Here to Email silversurferSend a Private Message to silversurferDirect Link to This Post
I Just recently was given a bunch of computer equipment.A few tape drives and some zip drives and two external hard-drives.The problem is that they didn't come with any cables.They all use a external SCSI cable that looks like a old style printer cable.I have looked around on ebay and cannot seem to locate the one I am looking for.I have found the other cable but that one.I found them on the belkin website but cannot aford $39 each.I just need one or more used ones.Does any of you have one or so I can get at a reasonable price?I apreciate your help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by silversurfer:

They all use a external SCSI cable that looks like a old style printer cable.

Do they look like this?

If so, what you're looking for is a cable with 50-pin Centronics (a.k.a. CN50) connectors. A quick 'n dirty search on eBay shows about 50 cables & gender benders there with a CN50 at at least one end, most for much less than $39.

I might have one or two male-to-male CN50 cables lying around which you can have for the cost of shipping. It all depends upon whether or not I can find them (we're in the middle of moving to a new home).
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 341
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianClick Here to Email PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I have quite a few old SCSI cables laying about in the cable pile.
if ya send me a pic of the the two ends ya need, I can porbably dig one out.
silversurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silversurferClick Here to Email silversurferSend a Private Message to silversurferDirect Link to This Post
Yes they are the 50 pin cables.The devices copnnect together using two of the style ends shown in the first photo.I have never dealt with these devices before so I am kind of excited to try out some of them.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 341
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianClick Here to Email PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well, by the sounds of the cables, these are pretty old devices.
SCSI is somewhat fussy.
to start with, you need a SCSI card added to your PC.
you can normally connect up to 7 devices, in a chain
both ends of the chain need a "terminator".
normally, the SCSI adapter is the first item on the chain, and has an interal terminator
next, most devices have a switch to "terminate" or not.
there is also a physical terminator you can get, if the device does not have the switch.

and yes, $39 is actually cheap for a SCSI cable
current high speed SCSI adapters go for $300 +
but, from what you have described - I think you have SCSI-2 devices, and you may want to check them "computer shows" for cables & such.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock