Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Think this computer will play Flight Sim X?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Think this computer will play Flight Sim X? by loafer87gt
Started on: 11-23-2006 07:59 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: loafer87gt on 11-23-2006 08:31 PM
loafer87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

Just ordered my new system through Ncix. I was putting together a new build this summer, but ended up cancelling my order after it was announced that the DX10 cards and the Quad core chips would be coming out in Q4 / 2006 instead of Q2 / 2007. I am really looking forward to running the Quadcore chip through the paces with 3DSMax and some of my other rendering programs. Who knows, it might even able to run Flight Sim X at low to medium detail levels. All the bits should be here early next week save for the Tuniq Tower heatsink. This beast of a heatsink made by Sunbeam is very hard to come by, and they say it will be around December 15th before they get their next shipment in stock. For a board I went with the new Intel Bad Axe 2 / Intel 975 board. Even though these don't seem to be able to reach the high FSB speeds reached by some of the Intel 965 or Nvidia 680 boards, it stability is rock solid, and this is the first board to have some beefed up power circuitry to handle the extra load of the Quad core chips. The average overclock for the Q6700 with this particular board seems to be around the 3.6 - 3.7 Ghz on aircooling - a full 1Ghz over stock speeds. Other than that, I opted for the 4 gigs of the Corsair Dominator modules with optional cooling fan that attaches to the chips. For video, I went with a single EVGA 8800GTX which should be more than enough to drive my Dell 2405 at its native res.

I can't wait for everything to get here... Will post some benchies when I get everything setup.

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 11-23-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Look's damn sweet to me!
Can't wait!
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Here's hoping everything gets here before December 15th in time for my holidays. Speedwise, for rendering most benchmarks indicate it should be about 4.5 - 5 times as fast as my old 3.2 Dual Xeon workstation. At the end of the day, it should save me a lot of time at work. If I ever get some free time to play some games, it should also play a decent game of Doom too.

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 11-23-2006).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
I'd do 3 things differently:

1) I'd get two video cards (if the M/B supports it) for SLi

2) the second Hard Drive I'd make a 750 gig or larger. (I have too much junk on my comp)

and finally:
3) Ditch the floppy (a drive. Use a thumb (USB) instead.

Other than that it seems to be an awsome system.

S. Williams
Heck who am I to tell someone else how to fix up a computer when I still have a P133 mhz running w95 set up nearby LOL

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 11-23-2006).]

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
As far as the video cards go - the single 8800GTX should be more than enough to handle most programs in the near future. If it is does start to get long in the tooth, then I'll wait for the product refreshes to come out and then buy a second when the prices drop. Also, even through the 975 series of chipset unofficially support SLI through modded drivers, there are currently no hacked driver sets available that have support for two of the 8800 series of cards. For the hard drive, I am going to relegate my old dually Xeon to file server duty, and it has an extra 500GB of RAID 1 storage ready to use. In regards to the floppy, you would think that in 2006 that you wouldn't need one of these archaic devices, but you wouldn't believe how many motherboard and other device manufactuers insist on using floppies for BIOS updates. For 8 bucks, I figured its better to be safe than sorry and include one.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock