Started on: 11-21-2006 01:32 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: lurker on 11-21-2006 08:17 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 337
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Nov. 20, 2006 - For more than a decade, numerous human-rights organizations have forcefully made the case that Saddam Hussein is guilty of crimes against humanity. So when his case was the first to be brought before the Iraqi High Tribunal, the court set up to try those considered responsible for decades of rights violations, it was no surprise the trial itself was considered a victory for rights advocates. So why then, when the former dictator was found guilty Nov. 5, would any of these same groups object?

Because Hussein’s trial, which resulted in a sentence of death by hanging for his complicity in the 1982 murders of 148 people in the Shiite town of Dujail, was "fundamentally flawed," says Human Rights Watch, a leading advocacy group. In a new 97-page report, "Judging Dujail," the New York-based organization says the trial's verdict is unsound and should be thrown out—marred by a torrent of procedural and substantive flaws. "The tribunal squandered an important opportunity to deliver credible justice,” said Nehal Bhuta, an international justice fellow at Human Rights Watch and author of the report, which was released Sunday. He spoke with NEWSWEEK’s Jessica Bennett.

Excerpts:
NEWSWEEK: So Saddam Hussein didn’t get a fair trial. How do you respond to people who say, “He’s a murderer; so what?”

Nehal Bhuta: If you really want to make a break from the old regime then you need to start making a point of applying human rights for all, whether you like them or not. And indeed the idea that some people, because they’re enemies, or because we think they’re morally reprehensible, aren’t entitled to basic human rights is in fact exactly the kind of logic of the previous government. So really, if the point is to create an Iraq that doesn’t repeat these kinds of mistakes, then you need to ensure that the rules are applied consistently.

More:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15804400/site/newsweek/

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-21-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
maybe they should just take him up to Dujail and drop him off?
DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCClick Here to Email DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
I don't think Bennito Mousellini, got a fair trial, now that you mention it.
Maybe if Jesus Christ had a fair trial things would be very diferent today.
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageClick Here to Email edheringSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I'm not surprised that Human Rights Watch found his trial to be "fundamentally flawed". Not even remotely.

I'm also not even remotely surprised that their web site doesn't seem to directly condemn any of China's or North Korea's current horrors....

Ed
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Human rights mean nothing over there, just the rights of those in power.

I have said it before and I am going to say it just once more.

We should have turned the whole country into a glass parking lot.

It would have saved lives in the end because these people will never quit killing each other and our service men and women.

Rant over.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Those bleeding hearts would see that there was no death penalty and every prison had a tournament level golf course.

I say get on with it and hang him.

Arn
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 320
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaClick Here to Email WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
It's the same thing when they say that when ever a Republican wins any political office it's voter fraud and irregularities. When it's Democrats (like this election), clean as a whistle with no problems whatsoever.

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2006 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancClick Here to Email PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Does this "rights group" talk about what Saddam did to the Marsh Arabs? The Kurds? The hundreds of thousands of shia in mass graves? The systamatic rape of little girls by his sons? The exacuted political prisoners? The childen prisons? The tourture chambers?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 337
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgClick Here to Email BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

Does this "rights group" talk about what Saddam did to the Marsh Arabs? The Kurds? The hundreds of thousands of shia in mass graves? The systamatic rape of little girls by his sons? The exacuted political prisoners? The childen prisons? The tourture chambers?

Originally posted by Nehal Bhuta:
If you really want to make a break from the old regime then you need to start making a point of applying human rights for all, whether you like them or not. And indeed the idea that some people, because they’re enemies, or because we think they’re morally reprehensible, aren’t entitled to basic human rights is in fact exactly the kind of logic of the previous government. So really, if the point is to create an Iraq that doesn’t repeat these kinds of mistakes, then you need to ensure that the rules are applied consistently.

From all reports, he was indeed a very bad man.
But Human Rights Laws must be applied to ALL, regardless of the person, or crime.
Otherwise, they are meaningless.

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2006 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancClick Here to Email PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

From all reports, he was indeed a very bad man.
But Human Rights Laws must be applied to ALL, regardless of the person, or crime.
Otherwise, they are meaningless.

Saddam got better treatment then his victoms. He got a trial wich is more then his victoms got. He got rights. He was guilty he was convicted and now he will be taken out of this life. Not every one deserves to live. He should have been shot in his hole and then backfilled with concrete.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Because Hussein’s trial, which resulted in a sentence of death by hanging for his complicity in the 1982 murders of 148 people in the Shiite town of Dujail, was "fundamentally flawed," says Human Rights Watch, a leading advocacy group. In a new 97-page report, "Judging Dujail," the New York-based organization says the trial's verdict is unsound and should be thrown out—marred by a torrent of procedural and substantive flaws. "The tribunal squandered an important opportunity to deliver credible justice,” said Nehal Bhuta, an international justice fellow at Human Rights Watch and author of the report, which was released Sunday. He spoke with NEWSWEEK’s Jessica Bennett.

Haha, what a joke! They want to have the case thrown out, and have Hussein tried again? So the supposed "human rights" advocates want to deny Hussein the right to a speedy trial, and subject him to double-jeopardy.

How much more two-faced can you get? I think the real reason they called the trial "fundamentally flawed" was because their "pet dictator" was actually found guilty.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-21-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:
Saddam got better treatment then his victoms. He got a trial wich is more then his victoms got. He got rights. He was guilty he was convicted and now he will be taken out of this life. Not every one deserves to live. He should have been shot in his hole and then backfilled with concrete.

Exactly what I was going to say.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerClick Here to Email lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IEatRice:
Exactly what I was going to say.

i agree, the trial was flawed. not that i disagree with the verdict or sentence, just that there were serious procedural errors.

these proceedings were not about his numerous other abuses, only about the slaughter of kurds. my guess is they were holding other charges in reserve, just in case he somehow survived this trial.

boondawg's point about equal application of human rights is valid. if any humans have certain rights, all humans have them. it's called equal justice under the law, a concept which tyrants routinely ignore.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 11-21-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock