Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  The Draft - Well, that didn't take long (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Draft - Well, that didn't take long by Formula88
Started on: 11-19-2006 05:53 PM
Replies: 82
Last post by: Toddster on 11-24-2006 10:58 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
http://www.wral.com/news/10356847/detail.html
WASHINGTON -- Congressman Charles Rangel says he'll introduce a bill to reinstate the military draft.

In a Sunday morning TV interview, the New York Democrat said the current all-voluntary military is strained. He said the nation can't send more troops to Iraq and challenge Iran or North Korea without a draft.

Rangel said he'll propose the measure early next year. The Korean War veteran has unsuccessfully sponsored similar legislation before.

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham also appeared on the show. He said he thinks the military is doing fine with an all-voluntary service. And if it's not doing the job, Graham said the government will "look for some other option."

Polls have repeatedly shown that about seven out of ten Americans oppose a draft. And officials don't think it will ever return.

----

Didn't we keep hearing it was Bush and the Republicans who wanted the draft? Guess not.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sostock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
what will the draft age be?
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

what will the draft age be?

I'd be curious to know as well. I think I'm at the max age where I can voluntarily go into the service (35).

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
At 20, I think I may be first up, but I'm not sure.

------------------
www.fierodomain.com
Your guide to the Online Fiero Community, always under construction

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

I'd be curious to know as well. I think I'm at the max age where I can voluntarily go into the service (35).

I'm 40. I'd serve again if I thought the cause was just, but I don't think they'd take me now anyway (foot and ankle problems, weight and back problems Getting old bites - I wear glasses now, me glasses!!!). I heard the max age for enlistment now is 38. Anyone know for sure?

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 11-19-2006).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I think the draft is and always was a joke.

We should do something like, when you reach 18 you serve 2 years, mandatory for everyone. Regardless of sex, like Israel I believe.

That way unless you are fiscally not fit you serve.

No daddy getting you out, no reserves. That way everyone gets an even chance.

No deferments for school ether.

If you are a consciences objector you still serve but not in combat.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Remember that smoke on the horizon? Well.. now I can smell it.
trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post
in south korea, every man must serve 5 years before a certain age, i think 30?

well that sucks for you guys, you could always run to canada...

[This message has been edited by trots (edited 11-19-2006).]

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i've been looking at this.
http://www.sss.gov/Default.htm

from what i can tell its 18-26. the new draft will pull everyone registered between 18-26. all males, reguardless of college, marital, fatherhood status. congressmen, elected officials are exempt, imagine that...

with my feet i'm not worried.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
IIRC, you can join up until you're 40. It was extended to get more recruits.

A draft, if passed, will start pulling from the 18-26 year old group first.
First you get classified:

1-A - available immediately for military service.
    1-O Conscientious Objector- conscientiously opposed to both types (combatant and non-combatant) of military training and service - fulfills his service obligation as a civilian alternative service worker.
    1-A-O Conscientious Objector - conscientiously opposed to training and military service requiring the use of arms - fulfills his service obligation in a noncombatant position within the military.
    2-D Ministerial Students - deferred from military service.
    3-A Hardship Deferment - deferred from military service because service would cause hardship upon his family.
    4-C Alien or Dual National - sometimes exempt from military service.
    4-D Ministers of Religion - exempted from military service.

Then, you're activated based on age by lottery:

A lottery based on birthdays determines the order in which registered men are called up by Selective Service. The first to be called, in a sequence determined by the lottery, will be men whose 20th birthday falls during that year, followed, if needed, by those aged 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25. 18-year-olds and those turning 19 would probably not be drafted.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

No deferments for school ether.

I think if you're in school you should be allowed to not serve..
PFF
System Bot
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
no mike dont post random stuff.....

[This message has been edited by antinull.com (edited 11-19-2006).]

never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post
If you are mentally able to drive, you are able to serve your country.
Come off the chicken S--- excuses.
Psychosis39

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Psychosis39Send a Private Message to Psychosis39Direct Link to This Post
Coming from someone in the service still

I think we learned our lesson with the draft from ww2 and vietnam.....

I think only EXTREME circumstances would bring the draft

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by never2old:

If you are mentally able to drive, you are able to serve your country.
Come off the chicken S--- excuses.

i think that's a rather unfair statement. if he really has brain damage/and/or was on psychotropics he's probably schizophrenic. not making excuses but that's not the kind of person i'd like to have next to me in the middle of a gun fight.

lets not get too excited, nothing has happened yet.
never2old

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post
I guess my point is:
Why is it not an honor to serve?
I went in after I got out of high school, was "lucky" enough to have entered and exited between Korea and Viet Nam.
But we had several close calls with Russia at that time.
You meet great people in the service, some friends for life.
I'm not in favor with what is happening now, but I guess someone has to volunteer or where would this country be?
Meant no ill will to the gentleman, just it seems that everyone who doesn't want to serve seems to come up with an excuse.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

WASHINGTON -- Congressman Charles Rangel says he'll introduce a bill to reinstate the military draft.
[/COLOR]

Ole Nacey Sheehan will have more ammo if the draft passes. I don't think the draft go over well with 1/2 Americans.....remember Vietnam protests?

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
The ages proposed is 18-42! the same ages currently eligible to join the Army now....

SSGT S. Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Ole Nacey Sheehan will have more ammo if the draft passes. I don't think the draft go over well with 1/2 Americans.....remember Vietnam protests?

Yes, but ammo against who? She's been protesting Bush, and the draft initiative is being sponsored by Democrats.

I read in another article about the draft that 7 out of 10 people oppose it.
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
::cough cough:: guess i should refrain from posting at will.....
paragraph im not actually going to post here
soooooo im gonna just try not posting freely anymore so i dont look more of a fool?
never2old

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldSend a Private Message to never2oldDirect Link to This Post
me too.
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by antinull.com:

::cough cough:: guess i should refrain from posting at will.....
paragraph im not actually going to post here
soooooo im gonna just try not posting freely anymore so i dont look more of a fool?

lol its all part of the forum, post your thoughts/opinions there will always be people who think differently than you.

------------------
www.fierodomain.com

aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
The country has spoken! They want the Democrats in charge of things. This is what the majority wanted. Democrats have shown they're outstanding in war management (JFK/FDR) Throw more troops that the cause! Yes, yes, that was effective in Vietnam. Careful what you ask for people, you might just get everything you wanted and then some.

<----------Thankfully can retire from the Army in less than 3 years!!!!!
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
yes everybody is entitled to their opinion. that's the great thing about PFF. if everybody thought the same way there wouldn't be much to talk about?

mental illness is just as serious as cancer, MS, or a physical handicap.i just don't like people making light of a mental disease.

on the other hand, if my country was attacked by a legitimate country (not osama been hidding) i would have no problem joining the armed svcs. i almost joined the army in the late 90's because i had no money and was trying to get through college. they wanted two yrs active then i could come back and finish my schooling. i only had 2 yrs left so the trade off wasn't worth it to me. so i get to pay the us dept of ed a nice chunk of money every month.

i shoud add, i have a real "authority" problem. i don't like anyone telling what to do. well unless you are handing me some money.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
I though the Dems were going to bring an end to the Iraq quagmyer... Isn't that what their campain ajenda is / was?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

I though the Dems were going to bring an end to the Iraq quagmyer... Isn't that what their campain ajenda is / was?

Yes, but then they were "campaigning." Now they're in office.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
In my case if the draft were reinstated I would go willingly, albeit nervously, and be proud to be part of America's Armed forces. I regret that I have not joined already, but I lack the determination/motivation or whatever it is to actually go sign up. The way I've chosen after high school resulted in having a girlfriend living with me and relying on both my financial and emotional support. I'm not sure I could go and deliberately leave that, but if I was asked I would do so, and would gladly go into active duty.

I know I would have second thoughts in the field with regard to our government and people who placed me there, but at that point they would no longer be my concern. I imagine it would be a great thing to serve with fellow Americans and know we are all watching out for each other.

The question now is if its really necessary, is the war going worse than we are being told? Or is this some exercise of power for the Democrats?

------------------
www.fierodomain.com

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 11-19-2006).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
I just read more about this guy's idea on AOL, its actually pretty interesting:

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

Proposing to reinstate the Draft as a deterrent to starting wars seems like a unique idea. I would in fact suggest that the current opposition to the idea backs up his claim that it would work.

------------------
www.fierodomain.com

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 11-19-2006).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Now they're in office.

Oh yes, thats right. The lesser evil.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Yes, but ammo against who? She's been protesting Bush, and the draft initiative is being sponsored by Democrats.

I read in another article about the draft that 7 out of 10 people oppose it.

Just making a note... not Democrats... A single Democrat.

I do like the way Israel does it to a point. They have to have a standing military and everyone serves. Every Israeli citizen knows how to pick up a weapon and use it. Only issue I've heard is complaints that due to the continuous turnover, not as many decide to stay in the military and the elite aren't really that elite when it comes to infantry.

I oppose a draft, I did my bit against registration when I was young. Not against the military, I volunteered... against registration and the draft. One thing that some might argue... if you have a tool your going to use it. We sure use the hell out of ours, abuse might be a better word.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

True, but I doubt the distinction would be made with Republicans either, point being without the support of their own party the bill is doomed to fail. But yes, 1 person is introducing the bill, and he's a Democrat.

PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
It will be interesting to see if he gets co sponsors. I have a feeling that's going to be almost as tough as getting it any further than he did under the republican congress.
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
Ok, serious question. I am working on getting into the marines. I have a recruiter I talk with. when I was young I didn't get my highschool diploma, I am working on getting it now. If they reinstate the draft, will I be drafted into the military branch I don't want to be in? I want to join the marines, and have 031100 infintary as my mos. if the draft happends. and I havn't already made it into the marines bye then. where are they gonna stick me? just where they want me in whatever branch they need me in? how long of a timeline do I have with this draft thing? I need to speed **** up get my **** together and get in before its to late!
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
So Bush and Howard have been talking, as Australia is considering something similar. Is there something these guys aren't telling us?
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:

Ok, serious question. I am working on getting into the marines. I have a recruiter I talk with. when I was young I didn't get my highschool diploma, I am working on getting it now. If they reinstate the draft, will I be drafted into the military branch I don't want to be in? I want to join the marines, and have 031100 infintary as my mos. if the draft happends. and I havn't already made it into the marines bye then. where are they gonna stick me? just where they want me in whatever branch they need me in? how long of a timeline do I have with this draft thing? I need to speed **** up get my **** together and get in before its to late!

I have a feeling if you were drafted and you requested the Marines you would get it. Normally they just stick people in the Army, but the Marines are "first responders" of the military and few people drafted actually WANT to go to the Marines. They would be happy to have you volunteer I think. It's not that the Marines are a "lesser" organization that people don't want in, they are tougher (my opinion) than the Army and take more risks being the "first on the beach." Not to offend any Army folks, the Army is tough too but the Marines have traditionally been looked upon as the "elite" in many Military circles.

When I was a young Airman we had a lot of fights at our Airmen's Club. The Marines were the toughest SOBs in the bar!

All our military branches are tops.

George Adams
former SSgt USAF, 1st Gulf War veteran 1991

BTW: There is no such thing as a "former" Marine. Even retired or out of service they still call themselves Marines! Semper Fi!

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 11-20-2006).]

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
If you were drafted in the 60,s you were offered the opportunity to enlist at induction. Choice was limited to the Army and Marines. You were told that if you enlisted there was less chance that you would be infantry.

That wasn't true but many grabbed at the straw. In Vietnam they were some of the maddest troops there.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tutnkmn:
BTW: There is no such thing as a "former" Marine. Even retired or out of service they still call themselves Marines! Semper Fi!

Yeah. I heard a Marine explain that once you're a Marine, it's forever. You're a Marine until the day you die. After that, you're a dead Marine.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post11-20-2006 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
What i find funny is that the dems spent all this time decrying the war and the military, but the moment they get in power they start talking about the draft.

Geesh, damned hyprocrits. ( i think both parties are nuts before you label me )
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

A single Democrat, who happens to be the incoming Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Here's another article I found this morning: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/19/rangel.draft.ap/index.html
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

So Bush and Howard have been talking, as Australia is considering something similar. Is there something these guys aren't telling us?

If US pull out of Iraq now we WILL need massive troops later to fight terrorist on our own soil!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock