Started on: 11-16-2006 04:10 PM
Replies: 30
Last post by: 5.0Vert on 11-17-2006 09:54 AM
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
About 20 minutes ago, we had a 2005 Jaguar XJ8 (about $70,000) fall off a lift. Tech (not ME, btw) was lowering the car after finishing a service and the lift leg slipped out from underneath. I was standing in front of the car, I never ran so fast in my life!

I'll get the other pics off my phone when I get home, dead battey. Had to use my phone as I left my camera at home

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 11-16-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
That'll buff....

Daaaamn, that kinda sucks.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Batchya someone's gonna have some dry cleaning bills.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Butter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

About 20 minutes ago, we had a 2005 Jaguar XJ8 (about $70,000)

Key word "HAD"

Now what you got?

A Big Ole' Mess

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
How does something like that happen. One side of the lift come down faster than the other or what? And how asleep do you haev to be to not notice something is about to happen? Holy crap that's ugly.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
I'd hate to be the one who has to call the owner (of both the business and car) and try to explain what happened.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

One side of the lift come down faster than the other or what?

That's exactly what happened. These lifts are older than I am, when he started to lower the lift, the right side dropped a few inches before the left side moved and the pad popped out from under the car. I watched the car teater for about a second before it came down. The owner of the dealership has already called the customer, kinda laughed about it, actually. Wouldn't you if you were getting a new car, free?
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Soooo, anything interesting happen at work today?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Awww crap!
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
SO WHO IS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB
IT HAD TO HAPPEN TO A JAG
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
So far, it's being blamed on equipment malfunction, whatever. Here are a few more pics after we got it upright, I post the rest after I get my battery recharged.

The Rover with multiple winches.

Down the right side.

Some of the damage, wasn't as bad as we were expecting.
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
The owner will start getting pissed really soon when he finds ot it will be repaired, not replaced.
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
It has already been replaced, we'll have it fixed and resell it, assuming the car isn't twisted.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
You mean to tell me your shop dropped a guys Jag at 3:50 P.M. today had the car replaced by 6 P.M.?
It takes most places longer than that to put on a set of tires. How'd your shop manage to buy and deliver a $70,000 automobile in 2 hours, 10 minutes? That's impressive.

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

That's exactly what happened. These lifts are older than I am, when he started to lower the lift, the right side dropped a few inches before the left side moved and the pad popped out from under the car. I watched the car teater for about a second before it came down. The owner of the dealership has already called the customer, kinda laughed about it, actually. Wouldn't you if you were getting a new car, free?

look at the lift
the arms are in [never set?]
how does a single post lower one side faster?

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

You mean to tell me your shop dropped a guys Jag at 3:50 P.M. today had the car replaced by 6 P.M.?
It takes most places longer than that to put on a set of tires. How'd your shop manage to buy and deliver a $70,000 automobile in 2 hours, 10 minutes? That's impressive.

I work at a Jaguar dealership, we've got 10 or so XJ8's sitting on the lot. The pictures are from inside the service shop (built in the early 80's) The owner came down, laughed at the error, and the general manager handed him the keys to a new 06 XJ and said "we'll call you when the paper work is ready to be signed."

look at the lift
the arms are in [never set?]
how does a single post lower one side faster?

Twin post in ground lift, they are OLD.

And the car sitting against it.

edited to answer Ray B's question.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
That's what insurance is for... but I'd be getting that lift repaired/replaced before someone gets killed. That's a much bigger concern.

OSHA and dead mechanics is a lot bigger concern than a dented car.

No arm locks on those lifts are there? I've did the annual safety inspection for the local college I serve on the advisory board and that was one of the things I noted about their twin post in ground lifts. The arms don't have any locks to keep them from swinging out if the load shifts in the air. The school is working on updating the lift arms to ones that lock like any modern twin post.

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 11-16-2006).]

topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

No arm locks on those lifts are there?

Not at the moment, but they are CONSIDERING it. Apparently this has happened a couple times before on these lifts, before I started working here.
They are building a new dealership, so I do not know if it will ever be fixed.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I believe in ground lifts are now illegal to put in, you can use the ones that are in now but new have to be above ground.

Brings new meaning to the word OOPS.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Geezs, I'm surprised that the windows didn't pop out and burst? I'm glad it's a Jaguar shop and not a lub shop or something 9although they might have better equipment but bad workers). If I was the guy, I'd be getting a red two seater Jag and call it a day, hehe.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
$70,000 car - 0
$3000 lift - 1
Look on topher_time's face? Priceless
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

I'm surprised that the windows didn't pop out and burst

Your not the only one. Only the windshield cracked.

Don't know how this happend, it's on the driver's side which was in the air?
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

topher_time

3231 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Look on topher_time's face? Priceless

I was laughing about the whole thing. My eyes got REAL big when it fell, but I was laughing by the time it hit the ground.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

I work at a Jaguar dealership, we've got 10 or so XJ8's sitting on the lot. The pictures are from inside the service shop (built in the early 80's) The owner came down, laughed at the error, and the general manager handed him the keys to a new 06 XJ and said "we'll call you when the paper work is ready to be signed."

Going straight to the source, huh? That's reason enough to have your car worked on at a dealership - well, at least if they still make them.
I was thinking something like a Tire Kingdom, etc.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I believe in ground lifts are now illegal to put in, you can use the ones that are in now but new have to be above ground.

Brings new meaning to the word OOPS.

I don't know where you got that idea. They do have to be sealed, and the newer style in grounds only have about a gallon or less of fluid vs some of those old ones that held ridiculously large amounts.

These are the cassette style in ground lifts Rotary sells... they are very nice because they leave an open floor when they are down, they are completely sealed... but they aren't cheap.

http://tinyurl.com/y4om9c
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I was just recently installing storage systems at a new Mercedes dealership and I believe they had the in-ground lifts. When the lifts where down, you could drive right across the bay. Pretty fancy place.

------------------
www.fierodomain.com
Your guide to the Online Fiero Community, always under construction

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Do you think you could get them to drop one of my cars? With a policy like that, I would have all of my work done there. Good company! Kudos to your G.M.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2006 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what would a Pontiac dealership/shop would do if they'd dropped your LS1 Fiero/choptop/3800SC? Would they call the police and kick you out or would they hand you the keys to a GTO...not!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2006 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
the dealership would say it came in like that

J.
topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
The only reason it was handled this way is becasue he is a good customer. Bought several cars from us, keeps up the maintenance, a lawyer, friends with the owners, and a respected member of the city.

So I was talking with the tech who dropped it this morning and had I asked to see the security video of the whole thing, normally they shows us these things, training purposes. Apparently nothing was being recorded at that time due to a power outage (3 months ago) and someone had not rebooted the computers. Right. We are in a very unfriendly area of the city with declining property values, those cameras are ALWAYS on.
5.0Vert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2006 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5.0VertSend a Private Message to 5.0VertDirect Link to This Post

The only reason it was handled this way is becasue he is a good customer. Bought several cars from us, keeps up the maintenance, a lawyer, friends with the owners, and a respected member of the city.

So I was talking with the tech who dropped it this morning and had I asked to see the security video of the whole thing, normally they shows us these things, training purposes. Apparently nothing was being recorded at that time due to a power outage (3 months ago) and someone had not rebooted the computers. Right. We are in a very unfriendly area of the city with declining property values, those cameras are ALWAYS on.

Probably don't want it getting out? Hmmm....

An interesting day at work for sure!
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock