Started on: 11-11-2006 02:43 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Toddster on 11-12-2006 10:37 AM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
The eleventh hour just came and went 'lest we forget.

To all who served on the front lines of the wars for freedom, Thank you with all my heart.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2006 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
I still feel left out in this holiday.

There's a holiday for the guys that served, fought, and died. God bless them.

There's a holiday for the guys that served, fought, and now live normal lives. God bless them too.

But where's the holiday for the guys that are serving, and are fighting right now? I guess that's left for us to do the blessing in our daily lives? I guess I don't technically qualify as "are fighting" at the moment, but those that are in our armed forces now deserve peoples' respect as well as those in the past... where's their - or our - holiday?

People tend to combine them - the past and present members - into one holiday, giving (deserved) respect to the veterans but a "side note" to the current members. It leaves me hanging in the middle. Am I supposed to feel honored? Proud? Or did I miss that memo?

I wonder how many others missed that memo as well, or are also feeling the same way... or maybe I just missed the boat completely. What's that detail I missed here?

------------------

'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153k miles, stock everything, just trying to make it all work again. :D
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
There's another "tag-along" holiday that you are honored on - July 4th. Three holidays where you are being thanked and you are right up there with those from the past, not an afterthought.

Pick any day and put on your dress uniform (blues, class A's, etc) and go to the mall and other areas you don't normally wear them. Watch the response.

There will probably never be an active duty holiday but remember that you all still in are in the hearts and minds of everyone, everyday.
Falcon4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2006 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
In the back of everyone's minds as an afterthought to a more dominant holiday...

July 4th: Fireworks, yay! Hey, look, a guy in uniform! Wave!
Veterans' Day: Thanks to all the guys from 'Nam! Thanks, dad! Hey, you over there, what're you doing? Oh, you're still in. Cool for you. Call me when you get back from Iraq.
Memorial Day: A moment of silence for everyone who died in WWI and WWII. Hey, you over there, you're not dead yet, get out of the way!

True, I think the joy in the 4th of July is a little misplaced... it's more like a Christmas with fireworks now. In all the shows I've seen for the 4th of July, I don't remember seeing/hearing a mention of current military members... either it was way too short or it wasn't even there. Wait, wait, a show on TV I watched last 4th, there was a mention of veterans and current members... but I had to think about it... Should I be trying to "absorb" more of the limelight or is it really just not there...?
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
I never thought you had to be out of the active military to be a veteran. For instance a Vietnam, Gulf War, Etc., Vet could be active. War or not you are a veteran of your previous service even if it's just yesterday.

There is a holiday for active military and actually a week. Armed Forces Day.

Armed Forces Day is celebrated annually on the third Saturday of May. Armed Forces Week begins on the second Saturday of May and ends on the third Sunday of May, the day after Armed Forces Day. Because of their unique training schedules, National Guard and Reserve units may celebrate Armed Forces Day.

Happy Veterans Day Falcon4.

[This message has been edited by Wolfhound (edited 11-12-2006).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2006 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Im a military veteran but I am not a war veteran..

and this isnt War Veterans Day.
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely Bill, soldiers don't choose to go to war or not.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2006 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Check out this very nifty quote with one slight alteration.

Originally posted by Wolfhound:
Absolutely Bill, soldiers don't choose to go to war or not.

"For those of us who have been to iraq war, politics and foreign policy becomes blood and your buddies to the left and to the right of you." - Psychosis39

If that doesn't say it all I don't know what does.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon4:

But where's the holiday for the guys that are serving, and are fighting right now?

As far as I am concerned, it's one in the same. That is why the thread is titled "serve(d)" Wether you serve now or in the past, I'm indebted.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock