Started on: 10-27-2006 03:53 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: wikid_one on 10-29-2006 05:59 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I'm down to these two!
Which should I get?!!!!!

Viewsonic VX2235WM 22"....................................................Dell E207WFP 20''

$350.00 Local.......................................................$350.00 Shipped

Screen Size: 22" WSXGA+ TFT LCD................................Screen Size: 20.1"
Resolution: 1680 x 1050..............................................Resolution: 1680x1050 Pixels
Response time: 5ms...................................................Response time: 5 ms (typical)
Brightness: 280nit cd/m².............................................Brightness: 300 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio: 700:1.................................................Contrast Ratio: 800:1 (typical)
Viewing Angle: 170° H/170° V......................................Viewing Angle: 160°H (typical)160°V (typical)
Pixel Pitch: 0.282mm...................................................Pixel Pitch: 0.258 mm Pixel Pitch

Additional Features:
Additional Features:

HD 720p Compatible
The DVI connector supports HDCP (High-
Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) that enables viewing of protected
high-definition content such as HD-format video.

Viewsonic: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11163877&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Dell: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Dell
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Now Now Boony

This is something your gonna have to do on your own

Can't nobody
here see for you. Ohh wait a minute in your case

[This message has been edited by Butter (edited 10-27-2006).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Butter:

Now Now Boony

Can't nobody here see for you.

much truth to this. monitor choice is by eye, once you get past all the specs & price variables.
both the Dell & Viewsonic make great products, so, you wont miss either way.
I've seen both, and both look great.
I myself would get the Viewsonic - slightly larger screen area
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Viewsonic.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Now Now Boony

Can't nobody here see for you.

I love the looks of the Dell, but I can get the Viewsonic right down the street, without having it shipped!

Decisions, Decisions...................................

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Ohh wait a minute in your case

SMILE when you say that!
(or at least twist one up!)

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
My choice would have to be the Viewsonic simply because, if for whatever reason you have to carry it back, you don't have to ship it back. Convenience because they both appear to be pretty close to the same thing.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I love the looks of the Dell, but I can get the Viewsonic right down the street, without having it shipped!

Decisions, Decisions...................................

I'd get the Viewsonic, especially since it's local. if it breaks, you can deal with it easier...

But both Dell and Viewsonic make nice monitors...

Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

My choice would have to be the Viewsonic simply because, if for whatever reason you have to carry it back, you don't have to ship it back. Convenience because they both appear to be pretty close to the same thing.

ditto
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Here, here. Quite right!

Plus there's always instant gratification. Bring it home, plug it in. No waiting

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 10-27-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:
I'd get the Viewsonic, especially since it's local. if it breaks, you can deal with it easier...
But both Dell and Viewsonic make nice monitors...

Originally posted by tutnkmn:
Here, here. Quite right!
Plus there's always instant gratification. Bring it home, plug it in. No waiting

That's what I'm thinking.
And the Viewsonic is at Costco.
They take anything back, for any reason, no questions asked!
Then, I could just get the Dell, anyway!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
P.S. Just what the hell does this mean?:

Dell:
"The DVI connector supports HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) that enables viewing of protected high-definition content such as HD-format video."

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
My brother has had his E207FPW for a couple of days now and he says its an alright display for the price, but not great. He says the display has quite a bit of light leakage from the bottom of the display, and the color banding is quite obvious when watching movies and playing games. This is probably due to the 6 bit panel the display uses. On the plus side, he says there is no ghosting on the display, and that the resolution is perfect for the size of the display. Like others have suggested, choosing an LCD choice is really a subjective thing, if you can, go to a shop and see which one looks best to you. Sometimes specs can be misleading.

BTW, if you are looking for a graphics card to pair it up with, you'll be happy to know Powercolor has just announced an AGP version of the X1950 Pro card. Whats even better is that it is rumored to be priced around and the $200 dollar mark.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

loafer87gt

5480 posts
Member since Aug 99

P.S. Just what the hell does this mean?:

"The DVI connector supports HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) that enables viewing of protected high-definition content such as HD-format video."

HDCP is a new digital protection that is required to view new high resolution DVD's. If you don't have an HDCP compliant display and video card, the movie will be scaled back to run at a lower resolution.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

HDCP is a new digital protection that is required to view new high resolution DVD's. If you don't have an HDCP compliant display and video card, the movie will be scaled back to run at a lower resolution.

So would I rather have that, or the Viewsonic's "HD 720p Compatible"?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

I smoked that one, back in ‘75.

Big Bambu wasn’t it?

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Flying Pony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying PonySend a Private Message to Flying PonyDirect Link to This Post
Go for the Viewsonic. It's larger for the money, and I use Viewsonics at work...very good picture quality. I have a Dell just like the one you posted and it's really good too, but for the same price, plus being local, I'd go with the 22" screen.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

That's what I'm thinking.
And the Viewsonic is at Costco.
They take anything back, for any reason, no questions asked!
Then, I could just get the Dell, anyway!

That's the biggest reason that I bought our LCD at our local Best Buy. Sure, I could have saved about $30 had I ordered it online; but if it arrived with any dead pixels, we'd be stuck with it unless there were 8 or more dead pixels. By getting our LCD at Best Buy, we had a 30 day "no questions asked" return policy. If we got it home and noticed even one dead or stuck pixel, we'd have been able to exchange or return the monitor.

If your local Costco offers a return for as little as one dead pixel, I'd be buying the Viewsonic.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Comparable specs
Same price
Viewsonic's bigger.

Size matter > Viewsonic wins.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one, really. I have a Dell and it's a good monitor, but Viewsonic is also a good brand. Between those two, I'd go with the larger screen.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
I have the dell one.. Not bad. I am happy with it.

PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I don't have time to read the whole thread, sorry, but all LCDs are made by only 3-5 companies and are rebranded. I don't know the exact count right now. It would be wise to research exactly who made those, if you have the time. And FYI, the backlighting is usually what fails on LCDs. If you plan on keeping it past the warranty period, you might get the one with the more easily replacable backlight.

But considering that one is a Dell... get the other Dell's quality has been going the direction that Gatway's had gone after they were the most popular... same direction Compaq went after the same circumstances. That would be in the downhill direction. Working with computers and doing many repair calls, I've seen too many Dell monitors failing lately
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I would go the Viewsonic.
Supporting a local business.
Any issues you are close.
Better price for the size.
Dell has bad parts availability. Not persona experience, but friends.

Which has the better warranty?
Will the local guys sell you an extended warranty as well?
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
I always prefer to go local with buying LCDs. The dead pixel thing always worries me, and I like being able to return it locally, rather than shipping it back and being without it for a week.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock