Started on: 10-27-2006 02:40 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Taijiguy on 10-28-2006 12:28 PM
IEatRice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
This may seem dumb, but I'm about to spent a lot of a clients money for a PC system, and you just have to be sure, ya know?

Will a Micro ATX motherboard bolt into an ATX case without any problems?

[This message has been edited by IEatRice (edited 10-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
It depends, man, It really depends... It SHOULD... Most cases come with either a few rear plates that you can swap out to fit the ports/adapters/whathaveyous in the back of the MoBo, others have cut-outs that you can bend/snap out depending on whether or not the MoBo has that thingie on it (like firewire, usbs, optical audio out, etc..

Any reason why you wanna use miniATX form factor?

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-27-2006).]

IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:
It depends, man, It really depends... It SHOULD... Most cases come with either a few rear plates that you can swap out to fit the ports/adapters/whathaveyous in the back of the MoBo, others have cut-outs that you can bend/snap out depending on whether or not the MoBo has that thingie on it (like firewire, usbs, optical audio out, etc..
Any reason why you wanna use miniATX form factor?

Part of it is I want to see what this NVIDIA business platform certified business is all about. Part of it is I can't seem to find a motherboard that is 939 platform that I like for this particular build. Part of it is I am using a small case anyway and I just want to ensure fit.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
mostly - yes, it will. but, much depends on the who made the case. most full size cases have mounting points for several boards, including mini boards.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
If ya look at those boards, (if those are pics of the actual boards)they are all either THIS:

or this:

(note the subtle swap in audio and nic/usb ports.)

All the mini's I have built have been either of these two, and they all fit in the cases.

Just remember ---> with smaller cases, route the wires and cables so you have good airflow. They tend to run hotter due to small space + hot components...

Have fun and eat bacon.

IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the Lian Li PC-V600 case and the GIGABYTE GA-K8N51PVM9-RH motherboard. I know it doesn't look like a small case, but it is, here's a size comparison next to a full ATX Lian Li.

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
mobo makers usually ship a filler plug that is stamped for that particular board and the plug fits into a standard cut out on the case backplane. If the case is an atx form, either tower or minitower the cutout should be the same size.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't mess with 939 processors anyway. They're on the way out- AM2 is the latest. socket 939/940 processors are fading fast. You'll basically you're going to have socket 754 which is 64bit, single core, and AM2 wich is AMD's dual core.

This is a nice little board : http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9MM-V&class=mb takes the AM2 processor, DDR2 memory and will fit in an ATX case just fine.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 10-27-2006).]

aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I wouldn't mess with 939 processors anyway. They're on the way out- AM2 is the latest. socket 939/940 processors are fading fast. You'll basically you're going to have socket 754 which is 64bit, single core, and AM2 wich is AMD's dual core.

This is a nice little board : http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9MM-V&class=mb takes the AM2 processor, DDR2 memory and will fit in an ATX case just fine.

Huh? Taji, they phased out the socket 754. Try to find a 754 processor at Newegg or other places. They're gone.
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

If you look at the specs (CPU charts) between 939 and AM2 processors, there's not much difference for the price. There wont be until the new X2's (around Xmas) and Quad Cores (late spring) are released. Right now its just not worth it. Plus a 939 X2 4800+ will handle what my client needs from a computer without a problem.

[This message has been edited by IEatRice (edited 10-28-2006).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have to 2nd the AM2 choice. It is not much if any more than a S939 and you get to run DDR2 as a bonus.

However back to your original post.

99% of cases and board vender's will work together. If you are using a small case, they must be aware that some people will choose to use a mATX board so I will bet money you won't have any problems.

Personally I prefer to use Full Tower ATX cases My current case is a 19" tall all aluminum case with a full size ATX board. There is nothing like having room to work inside the case and stuff it full of as many drives and gear as you need.

Just make sure you have adequate cooling and try to use SATA drives for reduced cable clutter.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Huh? Taji, they phased out the socket 754. Try to find a 754 processor at Newegg or other places. They're gone.

Really? Hmm...maybe you better inform Newegg, they don't seem to know that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Brand=1028&N=50001028&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1028&Description=socket+754&Ntk=all
Maybe you're thinking of socket 462's. Those are history, the Athlons and Seprons were the same socket format under 462.

The Socket 754's are the 64 bit Seprons (single core). Athlons are the socket socket 939's. Although, things are changing VERY FAST right now, and they introduce new architectures and change the names around so fast recently I have a hard time keeping up.
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Taijiguy

12198 posts
Member since Jul 99

Originally posted by IEatRice:

If you look at the specs (CPU charts) between 939 and AM2 processors, there's not much difference for the price. There wont be until the new X2's (around Xmas) and Quad Cores (late spring) are released. Right now its just not worth it. Plus a 939 X2 4800+ will handle what my client needs from a computer without a problem.

I look at it from a warranty standpoint. I just sold my last "940" because in a year, much less three, it'll be a warranty nightmare. I'd rather pay a little extra to get something that I might actually still be able to get replaced in a warranty return in three years, rather than have to deal with something that was only a temporary run if it should fail a ways down the road.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
900 pins?
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
940 to be exact. Hard to believe ain't it? Man, you don't want to get them bent either, holy crap is THAT a pain!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock