Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Bah, weird PC Video issue... any suggestions?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Bah, weird PC Video issue... any suggestions? by FieroRumor
Started on: 10-24-2006 09:23 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: FieroRumor on 10-31-2006 09:31 PM
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I am seeing this issue using two different MoBos, two different monitors and two different AGP Cards.

Same CPU and RAM.

If I use the AGP, the graphics do not look right. If I move a white area around, it basically turns blue. greys have dots in them, and when I take screencaps, the stuff is there in the screencap (so it's not just the monitor). If I use the onboard video, all is well.

I'll switch it back to the AGP, and take some screencaps...

Any ideas?

VERY frustrating...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I won't even pretend I know, instead, a checklist:

Video Driver (newest first, then go to an older driver)
Microsoft .NET Framework
DirectX
Motherboard Drivers

Hell, you know the stuff.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Try to narrow it down to either software/drivers or hardware: download a linux livecd like knoppix and see if you get the same issues running that. if so, it's almost definitely hardware related. if not, then it's a buggy driver in whatever os you are using.

How different is different? Same make/model of card/mobo? Different altogether?
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

The one in the back SHOULD be one color. the one in the front was the same panel, after I moved it.

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-24-2006).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Different alltogether.

Bios spashscreens look fine. (whites, colors are right.)

Windows "loading" spashscreen does not look right with the agp cards (using either MoBo...)

If I go into safe mode, same deal.

Different hard drives,

I guess it's the CPU, but it just seems so damn odd.

Originally, I thought it was the AGP area on the MoBo. But the same thing happened with this other one...

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Look at the poor Fiero Spashscreen.....

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

See how strange it is? The Red and white look bad, but the other colors are ok in that image...

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
BAH!

If anyone has software that can test the CPU, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
You sure its not the monitor cable

http://www.sisoftware.net/

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 10-24-2006).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I guess it's the CPU, but it just seems so damn odd.

Kinda seems to be the connecting factor, don't it?!

I had a simular problem once, but it was in the video card adjustments.
I turned off some stuff, and it went away.
I forget, something like one of these settings:

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-24-2006).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I have two different monitors, two different cables...

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
The problem started a few days ago.

Basically, all of a sudden, POOMF.

grrrrrr....

edit: Thanks JD! I have used that one in the past, and it worked well for me... I'll give it a shot

PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
I guess it's the CPU, Never had one "go" like this before...(Actually, never had one "go" ever...Always makes sure to cool the crap out of 'em...)

Sandra hasn't found anything wrong so far...
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
That looks soooo much like heat issues......Damn....
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Hey, my computer is doing that "picture" thing again!
I can change everyones pictures!

EDIT: There, fixed.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-24-2006).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
The strange thing is, you would thnk that if it IS the CPU, you'd see the video weirdness whether you used the onboard video or AGP...

Oh well, I'll see in a day or two...

86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
are you using the same hard drive/software? same chipset of graphics card? I would definately try to boot off of something other than the hard drive. I know my driver disk for my mobo was bootable with graphics. I believe that the makers of cpuz has a program out called pcwizard. it had a ton of test in it. Might be able to help you track it down.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
It's doing it even woth NO hard drive in there. 3 different video cards, and 2 very different MoBos. Ram seems ok, no errors, and same graphics issue seen no matter which stick I put in there (or both)

Only other variable is the CPU.

I ordered a new CPU, that's probably the issue.

I used to have all the plug-in diagnostic boards, (MOBo and RAM testers) software utilites, and spare parts, lost all that in 2001...VERY frustrating....

Never had a "Thermal event" ---> the CPU temp never went much above 40 C. Internal temp never above 82. I am a bit neurotic when it comes to heat.

The Falcon is only a tad above room temperature, and she's flyin' 24/7...

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Probably the CPU....

It thinks 1+1 = 3 and then you get blue colors where red should be, and multicolored text.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
ok, my brain is REALLY REALLY fried...
I am getting the same video thing from:
2 different CPUS
2 Different MOBOS
2 different MONITORS
2 Different Video Cards...
2 different sticks of RAM...

FRUSTRATING is an understatement...!

At this point, I am hoping it's the RAM, but I just can't believe that
1. BOTH RAM chips would do this same thing
2. That the RAM would test out ok (even with the rolling "1"'s test...Wish I still had my tester)

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-26-2006).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

I am getting the same video thing from:
2 different CPUS
2 Different MOBOS
2 different MONITORS
2 Different Video Cards...
2 different sticks of RAM...

So actually what you are saying is that you have two computers that do the same thing, right? Since you have two of everything, try to make two systems and see if they do the same thing.

Other than that, the only cause of the problem can be whatever is the common denominator in all situations. So what is that? The RAM sticks? The power supply? A (monitor-, power-, IDE-) cable?
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Ok,
Sorry...let me clarify:

I am currently experiencing a video issue. I have two different MoBos, Two different video cards. Two different power supplies, two different CPUS, Two different monitors, Two sticks of Ram, and various hard drives.

I have pretty much put every item in each of the two mobos...( put theCpus, Ram, Video cards in each of the two mobos.)

lets remove one variable - the Hard drive. it doesn't matter what OS I am using. I tried several different hard drives, and did a "fresh Install" of Win xp as well. all have the same nastiness.

The Cpus are both Intel Prescot Socket 478's/. One is 3.0 Ghz, the other is 3.2.

Ram are two sticks of DDR (I forget which) for a whopping total of 512 Mb (Don't need too much on this box) . I have tried both sticks, one stick and then the other stick. same result on both MoBo with eah CPU, Vido card, etc...

Here's the thing:

The onboard Video is fine. The AGP Video shows the strangeness, even in safe mode...

It started a few days ago. Out of the blue. "Boink", the video went to hell. I hadn't installed anything, I was just in the middle of programming...

I need to get some ram and try that out...

anything else you can think of?

I REALLY don't think it's a driver.

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Does changing the refresh rate do anything? Has the kid upstairs started peeing in your window again? Do you have new speakers? Have you opened any email from Boondawg on the computer?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Ok, but what stays the same every time besides the two RAM sticks? Any cables?

When the problem started, were both sticks in the computer?
Do you have any other RAM laying around you could test?
Are you selling the Prescotts?

It could very well be you fried the RAM. And fried RAM could still test OK. To be absolutely sure you need to run something like memtest86 overnight since that willl test all kinds of data patterns.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Try your PSU...
I have seen that fix SO MANY things.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Originally,
the pc had both sticks in there.

I have tried all different cables (about 5 different sata ones)
Two different PSUs.
and each stick by itself. Just seems weird that BOTH sticks would be fried in the same way (that would create the exact same consistant video glitches)

I HAVE had bad Ram that tested "good" in the past , till I put it in the ram tester machine and did a thorough test...

I will test it with that mem app, and see how it goes...

Thanks...
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Try your PSU...
I have seen that fix SO MANY things.

Yep, especially when the 5 and 12 v are waaaay off.

Had 5 Dell PSU's go bad this month. Bah!

The Ram FAILED. Oh, HOW it failed!

Both sticks in there together, less then two minutes of testing 'em...Fail.

then each stick, separately. Fail Fail.

Well, not "Fail" so much as the computer froze completely.

Strange that the internal VGA doesn't seem to be affected...Must be the way the AGP addresses the memory...

I just wish I had more of this RAM lyin' around here.

I'll pick some up tomorrow, then plop that in.

Thanks for the advice/software.

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
UGH!

Ok, Now, I tried Different RAM, same weird video issue.

The PCs will boot up ok, and the White text on black background is ok during POST... then, it looks weird. the "e", for instance, will have three dost on the left side of the 'e" rather then a little line.

The Windows logo has lines going down it... and once it gets into windows, it looks like crappola.

Any other suggestions?

I have NEVER seen this before... (well, I HAVE, but It was always the video card, or the Ram, or the Mobo... etc...

I ran a video test, and 2d video fails... when i run a monitor test, red and white are the colors affected... all the others are FINE... *sighs*

Hafta bring the video cards into work and test them there...see if the issue follows me...

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-30-2006).]

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
so let me get this strait, you have two of everything which you have swaped out one part at a time and the problem occures every time even to the point where none of the orriginal components are left?
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
I have to ask this:
what version agp slot and what version agp card? there is a voltage change in the versions. I'd have to go look it up again.
If it;s not that, then I would say you might have a bad slot. I've seen cardslots go bad, and agp slots are even worse with the stacked contacts. The fact that the abherations show in a screen shot means it is rendered wrong in the video memory. the onboard vid uses system memory for everything , the agp uses on card and the aperture setting for the frame buffering.
The random dots and shading indicates a video memory issue or the gpu on the vidcard or card datapath issues.
Have you checkd the agp settings?
here's ref for the agp voltage compatibility. http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

one thing is,it isn;t the cpu. that has nothing to do with this video issue. if it were corrupting data that badly, your os wouldn;t boot.
want a good cpu test? hunt down prime95, run the torture test. then get memtestx86 and run that overnight. between the 2 of them you will have pretty well beat up on your memory and fsb system. if they fail, retest with only onboard video on.

One thing is that sure is a wierd one, I can;t recall anyone having symptoms like you posted that were capturable with a screenshot, maybe with a digi-cam, but then the scan lines show.

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

I'll hafta check, I DO know two of the AGP cards were the 1.5v type, the other one I believe was the 3.3 v type.

Yeah, being able to capture it in a screengrab is odd, and it is not random, it displays grids in regular patterns, and allows video through...

Thanks for your suggestions, and that link to the site, I'll check it today when I get a chance...

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Move the PCs away from that big electric motor you've got behind the monitor?
PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Is one of these the one you were going to sell me? You decide what you want to do yet?
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Is one of these the one you were going to sell me? You decide what you want to do yet?

First, I want to test everything.I'm not gonna sell you something If it might possibly be bad...
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Move the PCs away from that big electric motor you've got behind the monitor?

I was headed for this. is the onboard video actually disabling? you maybe picking up noise from it. video output is VERY high frequency, with lotsa lotsa data. maybe try a lower resolution for troubleshooting? winXP has support for dual monitors. use both, mirroring the display. move the video cable from one connector to the other. if onboard is still fine, and the AGP still has problems, everything else in the system is fine - its just noise form the onboard video.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I was headed for this. is the onboard video actually disabling? you maybe picking up noise from it. video output is VERY high frequency, with lotsa lotsa data. maybe try a lower resolution for troubleshooting? winXP has support for dual monitors. use both, mirroring the display. move the video cable from one connector to the other. if onboard is still fine, and the AGP still has problems, everything else in the system is fine - its just noise form the onboard video.

originally, it just suddenly occurred. "plionk!". I need to test the cards out on another system...
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

First, I want to test everything.I'm not gonna sell you something If it might possibly be bad...

Doesn't it work OK with the onboard video? I was OK with that.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You had more than one video card in it???? On top of the MoBo video?

Unless you cleaned out the drivers between cards, you've got a fair mess to clean up. Installing multiple video drivers on a machine is a known way to cause big problems. Sometimes even upgrading drivers for one card can be messy. Even that shouldn't cause this sort of problem.

If you had the wrong voltage AGP cards in the slot, you'd know. They probably would have blown up. Or blown the MoBo. Which is why some MoBo won't even try to start if you've got the wrong volt card in the slot. A few MoBo even have an LED on them that tells you what is going on.

As noted, it's not the CPU. A CPU that hosed wouldn't run the machine. I don't think System RAM would cause this. The only thing most cards use System ram for is overflow of Texture maps and things like that. You won't use this "AGP Aperture" into system RAM unless a specific application calls for it. That is usually only games and maybe some CAD stuff.

The artifacts shown indicate a memory issue. Could be and likely is the video card's RAM. The fact you can grab it is pretty major indicator that there is definitely some kind of RAM or RAM access/control problems. Screen grab pulls from the various screen buffers, most of what are on the video card. If you have problems talking to the vid ram, you'll get crap on the screen and in various grabs. Anything that has access to those buffers is going to eat garbage.

You don't see it in DOS/BIOS screens because those screens use very little Video RAM. The cards probably are not accesing enough to show the dead area.

The repeat pattern is the sort of thing you see when you can't access one memory chip or a part of one chip. If you had this type of failure in system RAM, MEMtest etc would turn it up extremely fast. A problem that bad in system RAM usually is big enough that Windows can't even load. And yes heat can cause such a problem. If they are Nvidea cards, use NVtweak and underclock the GPU and video RAM. The underclock will let things run cooler. If that helps you could have just heat problems but they could also have damaged sections of the Video ram permanently.

You need to find a known good machine or a known good card. Preferably parts that are surplus themselves in case you pop something on them.

It is entirely possible that you've damaged both cards and/or mobos moving everything around. It doesn't take a huge amount of abuse to start breaking traces and/or connections on some circuit boards.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the dreaded "CLick of death" with those Zip Drives. I had a user kill 5 Macs with a bad disk...

I need to test out the two Video cards in a "good" Mobo.

I need to test the ram in a different mobo too...

I know the bios only uses a smiggen of RAM, but I would think that DOS would as well, but I see the issue in DOs as well (not a Dosbox, I mean a Dos Boot disk...

Maybe I'll take a peek in the case again.. I thought I heard something...

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-31-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock