Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Got a new lappy and I'm having some problems..

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Got a new lappy and I'm having some problems.. by firstfiero
Started on: 10-24-2006 07:50 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: firstfiero on 10-26-2006 04:32 PM
firstfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a display model hp pavilion today. It's twice the memory and a huge screen. I love it ..compared to the Averatec I've been useing it's like a bmw compared to a metro. anyhow I can't seem to hook up to the internet on my signal. I'm showing 2 wireless signals. My brother in laws next door which is poor and mine which is showing full power. For some reason it has his set at default and will link right up but mine even when I click it to connect it just won't do it. Anyone know what the heck I have to do to get it to hook up?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any security set up on your wireless router? You may need to put in your WEP key.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
I don't think so...I didn't have any problem with my last laptop hooking up.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Ok, on your available wireless connections screen,
You see 2 wireless networks, yours and your brother in laws.
What does yours say?
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Just to remove a variable, try shuttin' off that other one next door, then focus on gettin' yours workin'.

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Goto: Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click Wireless Network Connection > View Wireless Networks. Click the network you wish to connect to and click "Connect." I know you say its not working when you do this, so you can try below.

Can also go to: Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Wireless Networks. You'll see a box for Preferred networks and any networks the computer has connected to. Remove all networks listed. Then go back to View Wireless Networks and attempt to connect to yours. If that doesn't work, I'd reset the router back to factory. Its possible someone connected and turned encryption on.

I've got a new Pavilion as well with the widescreen. I found Netgear router software to be junk. It f'd with my windows wireless drivers so badly I had to do a system restore to get the wireless working properly again.

On that note, being a display model you may want to do a destructive system restore anyway to remove anything customers may have done.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 10-24-2006).]

firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
I've never set my router up honestly.. i pluged it in and started it up. I've restarted that a couple times. The first thing I did when I got it home was do a complete recovery to get it back to factory settings. My router did come with software...I guess I'll run it when I get home tonight.
SonataInFSharp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SonataInFSharpSend a Private Message to SonataInFSharpDirect Link to This Post
It might be even simpler than that... unplug the router and plug it back in, then try.

We pay my sister in law for half her Internet bill so we have several computers connecting to her router (next door) wirelessly. The router was perfect for a year... all of a sudden, we have to restart the router a few times a week. Unfortunately, this is not unusual for consumer-level routers to poop out suddenly after a year. But I am not going to spend $100's on a "really nice" router.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
when I goto network connections its showing an antenna with the wireless network I can get and for the other it's showing the yellow box with the three grey boxs which I think means the computer thinks I have it hooked up via ethernet. It keeps saying the hardware is disconnected like it's looking for a hard line instead of a wireless signal. How the hell do I change that.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post

firstfiero

4879 posts
Member since Dec 2000
whoops looking at the wrong thing forget the last post lol
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post

firstfiero

4879 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Well now I'm just running an ethernet chord for now...tired of dealing with it.
PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
If you have never even gone into your routers config screen, then your wireless is not actually set up.
On most consumer level wireless routers, you will need to at least do a little configuring of the wireless
portion of your router..

You need to go to either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 and login. The default Unser name is admin and no password.

I think.

Then go thru the setup wizard.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
uuummm niether worked.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock