Started on: 10-21-2006 01:43 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: LoW_KeY on 10-22-2006 03:34 PM
sostock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
wife called last night said one of our two cats Trinity was acting bad and had glazed over eyes. she was home alone with the kids so i told her to wait til this morning and see how she was. well about 700 am wife wakes me up, cats dead.

guess who's the shmuck in my house?

she has been on insulin shots and special food for a couple of years now. not sure if we should have taken her to the ER vet or if it was just her time.

Trinity Crocker
1994-2006
Lover of sunfilled windows and a warm lap.
Survived by her twin brother Tucker bear.

sorry to put a damper on the "lets see some cats" thread.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-21-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

wife called last night said one of our two cats Trinity was acting bad and had glazed over eyes. she was home alone with the kids so i told her to wait til this morning and see how she was. well about 700 am wife wakes me up, cats dead.

she has been on insulin shots and special food for a couple of years now. not sure if we should have taken her to the ER vet or if it was just her time.

Trinity Crocker
1994-2006

I bet it was just her time. Always hard to lose a pet.

ER. The last cat i lost was at the 'hosptital', and i still belive it was due to them only caring about the bill they could run up. The pet was 2dnardy to them. *grr*

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
A "stupid" cat?
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

...not sure if we should have taken her to the ER vet or if it was just her time...

It would have been a great idea if you had an extra $700 laying around that you wanted to blow and have the cat die anyway. It would have also been a great opportunity to build hope and see it crushed.

Been there, got the t-shirt. It went the way that it should have.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 10-21-2006).]

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtowner:

A "stupid" cat?

yeah i think i'm going through my "grieving" process.

denial, anger, depression, etc...more of stupid owner i guess...
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Trinity Crocker
1994-2006
Survived by her twin brother Tucker Bear.

Anyone who'd write a nice obituary like that for a cat can be forgiven for being upset and referring to it as "stupid".

Sorry to hear that Trinity Crocker passed away today...

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry to hear about Trinity. Just thinking about losing our cat makes me wanna swell up with tears. I can only imagine what it would do to my wife!
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
As a fellow diabetic cat owner we have done a bit or research on the subject. The average life span of a cat after being diagnosed with diabetes is about 2 years.
Of course there are exceptions - we have been using insulin and special food on Amos for 6 years now and have been supplying our vet with data- daily water intake, weight and glucose readings . Our vet ( a close personal friend) has been forwarding our information to a colleague of hers who is studying feline diabetes. I fact we are in the midst of doing a glucose curve on Amos today - taking a blood reading every 2 hours ( he get 2 shots a day) This morning he started a 536 to 426 to 208 to 160
now if he holds true to form his numbers will start climbing at the next reading. From this latest data we will most likely have to increase his dosage again. ---- Latest reading 330 and BTW Amos is 16 years old

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 10-21-2006).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Trinity Crocker
1994-2006

sorry man, im about to lose my cat soon too.
banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
just out of curiousity, what type of Insulin would you inject a cat (or dog) with. Is it the very same insulin Humans use? What doses would they get and how often. Fast acting or slow acting insulin?

Inquiring diabetic minds want to know...

------------------
got boost? L67 in progress...

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by banditbalz:

just out of curiousity, what type of Insulin would you inject a cat (or dog) with. Is it the very same insulin Humans use? What doses would they get and how often. Fast acting or slow acting insulin?

Inquiring diabetic minds want to know...

i don't have the name of it here at work. had to have a script for it so i'm sure its human grade stuff. we had to give her a shot, 5 units in a very small needle, twice a day. so i would guess its a slow acting insulin.

sorry i don't know more about it.
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
We use Humulin N 4.5 units twice a day(I think it will be going to 5 units shortly). In RI you don't need a prescription to buy insulin or needles.
sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

We use Humulin N 4.5 units twice a day(I think it will be going to 5 units shortly). In RI you don't need a prescription to buy insulin or needles.

huh must have a bunch of junkies here in MO. wait, maybe it was just behind the counter. i know both the insulin and needles were behind the counter at the drug store.

fyi that sounds like the right name, but we went through a couple of different brands.
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2006 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
I'm so sorry about your cat... chances are taking her to the ER wouldn't have necessarily saved her life... it might have prolonged it for however long she was in there... and is that what you or she would have wanted? No, I think not... so it is best it happened the way it did, she was at home with those she loved... and you didn't have to make the decision to have her put to sleep which is even more difficult to live with.

Second guessing yourself isn't going to change anything, and chances are the outcome would have still been the same...so forgive yourself... and try to help the family deal with her loss.

Again, so sorry about your kitty... I hate losing an animal... it seems like with each one it brings back all the memories of all the others we've lost...

------------------

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
sorry to hear on the cat

I saw mine go in seizures and he was never the same, once that seizure hit it was almost like he died. I started bawling my eyes out, then he came around but couldn't walk I got 2 males cats that was a mistake and left a bad after effect. Maybe someday later I'll try it again with just 1.

sorry for your loss it always sucks. Most people that don't own pets don't realize it's in the same boat as a family member it hurts to lose them.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock