Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Dang. Y'all Canucks been holdin' out on us Yanks.....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Dang. Y'all Canucks been holdin' out on us Yanks..... by Taijiguy
Started on: 10-17-2006 05:29 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: JohnnyK on 10-18-2006 10:35 AM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
..or rather, I just ain't quite as informed as I thought. I heard a song on the radio today during a request hour, that I had heard before, but for some reason today it just blew me away. I had to call the station to find out the name of the song and the artist. Max Webster, collaborrating with Rush and Kim Mitchell. Tune called "Battlescar". I
I've been looking into some of their stuff. Man, this is great. I'd heard the song "Go For A Soda" and had heard the artist's name but today it all clicked in. Some good stuff.
Hear "Battlescar" with the Rush boys here: http://www.emp3world.com/to_download.php?id=33532
Or right click and "save as": http://www.2112.net/sphere/virtualsongs/audio/Max_Webster-Battlescar.mp3

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 10-17-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Ya' know us Canadian rockers kind of take Kim Mitchell and Rush for granted.

I was down to the "grand opening" of Long & McQuade's new store in Markham this past month and Kim Mitchell was there for a live show. Real good rocker. I enjoyed it a whole lot. His bass player is really hot.

Anyway, glad you've stumbled on our little secrets.

Arn
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Interesting....several years ago, a local radio station played this song called "Go For A Soda", and I really liked the song. But, I never heard it played on any other stations, and I never heard the name of the artist. Finally, one day, it was playing on the local station, so I called and asked the DJ about the song. He told me it was by Kim Mitchell, that it was a Canadian recording, and that it was "out of print". I tried several record stores here, to no avail. However, by this time, I had access to the Internet, and it was simple to find a copy of "Kimbo Alogo". Got my copy of the song....and several other good ones on the album, too.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

His bass player is really hot.

And from This thread about Boston:

Originally posted by DesignFlaw06:

Nice looking bass player too.

So what’s the deal on “nice looking”, “really hot” bass players? Is this a recent fad to have babes playing bass in bands? Perhaps a shrewd marketing ploy?

proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
WHAT IS CANUTS?
Is it something to do with canadians.
Only a guess
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Is that second voice I'm hearing Geddy Lee's?
In my opinion, one of the best voices in rock.
He can really hit them highs!

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BAND'S 30 YEAR RECORDING CAREER.

1974 - Rush released their first album entitled "RUSH". It became the biggest selling debut LP that any Canadian band had ever released. The band spent years building their core audience by constant touring in North America doing as many as 200 dates a year.

1975 - Rush win Juno for the "Most Promising Group of the Year".

1976 - Marks their initial breakthrough into the American market with the release of "2112", their first million selling album.

1977 - Rush release "A FAREWELL TO KINGS" which included their first internationally charted single, "CLOSER TO THE HEART".

1980 - April- Rush and each individual member place in the top ten in every applicable category in Sounds and Melody Maker Polls in Britain.

1983 - May- Rush tours the U.K., selling out Wembley Arena four consecutive nights.

1983 - September- RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, New York City vibrates to RUSH for 5 sell out nights. The first Rock Act of its kind to perform a series of shows in the world famous venue.

1989 - April- The concert video A Show Of Hands moves to #3 on Billboard's Top Music Videos' and #10 on Top Videocassette Sales Chart. The video has achieved platinum status in the United States and Canada (the first video by a Canadian band to ever achieve this level of sales).

1990 - October- Chronicles, the video collection, is released. The video is shipped GOLD in the U.S. and is certified GOLD in Canada.

1990 - November- Rush wins Group Of The Decade in Canada. They were voted the group who has made the most significant contributions to the Canadian music industry both domestically and internationally in the period 1980- to 1989.

1990 - December- Rush wins Mayor's Award at the Toronto Music Awards. This award is the most revered of all the Toronto Music Awards.

1991 - March- Rush wins JUNO Award for PRESTO as "Best Hard Rock/Metal Album Of the Year."

1992 - October- Rush was honoured with the "Harold Moon Award" by the Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN). It is the most prestigious songwriter's award in Canada.

1993 - October- Rush are chosen as recipient of the "Toronto Arts Award". The award, presented on behalf of the Arts Foundation of Toronto, recognizes the recipient's entire body of work through artistic excellence and contributions to the arts and culture of Toronto.

1993 - May- Rush is inducted into the Harvard National Lampoon and named "Group of the Millennium".

1994 - March- Rush was inducted into the JUNO "Hall Of Fame". They join fellow alumnus Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Anne Murray and Oscar Peterson.

1996 - September- Rush release their 21st gold album "Test For Echo". According to the Recording Industry Association (RIAA) this places them in a third place tie with Kiss. What makes this feat so remarkable is that it extends their consecutive gold certification streak to 21, their entire catalogue of albums.

1996 - December- Performance magazine, a publication for the touring industry, nominated Rush as "Rock Act of the Year" for their 1996 Performance Readers Poll Awards.

1997 - February- Each of the band's three members are recognized as "Officers of the Order Of Canada". This prestigious honour reflects the unique contribution to Canada, and indeed the world, that Rush have made since their very early origins in Toronto, and throughout their twenty-three year recording career. This is the first time the Order of Canada is given to a group rather than an individual.

1997 - May- The Foundation Forum and F Musicfest have announced Rush this year's recipient of the "Concrete/Foundations Outstanding Contribution to Music Award". Rush joins a distinguished list of receipts including Van Halen, KISS, Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper.

1999 - May- Rush was inducted into Canada's Walk Of Fame in Toronto. The other inductees included that year are David Croneberg, Celine Dion, and Buffy Sainte- Marie.

2000 - January- Rush has topped JAM! Music's online poll, which determines them "Best Canadian Musicians of All Time".

2004 - April - Rush wins JUNO award for Best Music DVD - Rush In Rio.

Rush has received two GRAMMY nominations for their instrumentals, "YYZ" from "MOVING PICTURES" (1982) and "WHERE'S MY THING" from "ROLL THE BONES" (1992).

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-17-2006).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

WHAT IS CANUTS?
Is it something to do with canadians.
Only a guess

Although "CANUTS" may sometimes be appropriate, the proper term is Canucks. Yes, it's a term for Canadians.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So what’s the deal on “nice looking”, “really hot” bass players? Is this a recent fad to have babes playing bass in bands? Perhaps a shrewd marketing ploy?

Patrick, you don't seem to be a musician. "Really hot" in musician parlance is "very, very, good".

Arn
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

It is. That's why I said what I did in my original post about "...the Rush boys.." They all three played on that particualr tune, maybe others as well, I haven't looked that hard yet. But yeah, he has a very distinct voice. I originally thought that it was The Tubes doing that song, with Geddy doing some backgrounds. Webster's vocals sound a lot like Fee Waybill, and the overall tune sounded just like the kind of stuff The Tubes were doing in the late 80's-early 90's.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

O...M....G....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock