Started on: 10-16-2006 07:54 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: ltlfrari on 10-17-2006 05:39 PM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Some spammer is using random email names @ my ltlfrari.com domain name as the return address for spam email. So every time it bounces I get the notification email and every time one gets through and the victim tells the sender to piss off, I get it, not the real spammer.
They also appear to be being sent from multiple ip addresses but since I am only getting either the bounced email, or a reply from some hapless victim I don't really get to see the complete original emails headers.
So, how the hell do I track this bastard down and stop him/her/it using my domain name. I'm assuming legal methods are a waste of time, I just want to be able to track the sod down to start with. I'll worry about what action to take later.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroluv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
In short, you can't... Spammers use innocent peoples email servers as a relay. In a sense they send an email from your email server remotely. There is really no real way to stop it, except to deny relaying on your server. Or you can go after the manufacturer of the product that they are advertizing. The makers of these products don't want you to be spammed. They are paying a lot of money for the spammers to advertize their products. And they pay them per email. So if they are spamming they really want to know about it. Well for the legitimate companies anyway.
AJ7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
if you have any e-mails that they have sent, and were returned... with ads on them, the HTML should be in the e-mail that has their code for the place they are advertising for, then you just e-mail that place tell them they are spamming and give them the code for proof. not sure how to get that code without looking though, been awhile...
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
i had this happen to me and i had any users @antinull.com going to my yahoobox... somone was sendin about 5k peices a day that bumped back to me.... pisses me off cause they spoofed my tiny site and i get hate mail for it
but
what i did was locked all but one e-mail address out from forwarding to my yahoo box.... you might have a function on your redirector to do such im not shure tho....
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm only getting a couple of bounced emails a day and I've only had one "go away" message from a spam victim so it's not so b ad right now. I could turn off the catch all email forwarding on my domain name but I don;t really want to do that, it does not really solve the problem, just hides is from me.
Gotta be a better way to catch these buggers.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock