Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What is your worst **** up working on a car? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What is your worst **** up working on a car? by Tinton
Started on: 10-15-2006 03:18 AM
Replies: 44
Last post by: Indyellowgt on 10-21-2006 10:27 AM
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
I had one of those "look behind you and hope somebody will kick you in your dumb ass" situations.

I put a new pick up coil on the distributor on my 80 Chevy Pickup (350 engine.) Couldn't get the dist to seat back into the engine and cam to save my life! Messed with that SOB for 2 solid weeks without any luck. So I'm sitting at the table outside, looking at the (cleaning my language here) FREAKING thing and I notice that the gear on the bottom of the dist. shaft looks funny. Shouldn't the shiny wear part be facing down? Yeah, I'd installed the little gear on upside down. Flipped it on the shaft and the dist. slid right in.

Then there was the time I rebuilt a Geo Tracker engine (ohc engine) and installed the cam gear but didn't tighten it fully. So the engine sounded like it had the rod knock from hell.

Not many f***ups on Fieros so far. Can't really understand why some shops think they're tough to work on. Been pretty easy to date (and I've done almost every repair there is on a Fiero.) Factory Service Manual & a Haynes help a lot.

IP: Logged
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
I once inspected a friends brakes, I put the wheel back on, went to get the torque wrench, and forgot to torque the lugs, he wasnt happy.

------------------
PROJECT 1986 GT Stormbringer

sostock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i was just out in our shop a few minutes ago. one of the "mechanics"-i use that term very loosly, decided to use scotch tape for some electrical wires. lasted about 10 seconds and went up in a poof of smoke.

those guys are always good for a chuckle.
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Put a 4 cylinder oil filter on a 6 cylinder camry. Started it up, the oil pressure light whent off then immediately came back on so i shut it off quickly. went around the the front and oil poured out everywhere. Thing of it was, a 4-cylinder filter is what i took off of it originally.

Doin the engine swap on the GT. with the motor out of the car you can pick it up with and engine hoist by the trunk latch striker. The engine hoist didnt go far enough to pick the car up and slide the engine under so my dad fabbed up an extension between the hoist arm and the hydraulic piston to give us a few more inches of height. Well when lowering the car down on the cradle i didnt notice that there was a lot of pressure on that extension as the car got lower. The extrension snapped and the back the GT fell down about a foot. Luckily, it fell perfectly in place onto the cradle

------------------

Fiero- mild 2.9 160hp
Caprice- wild 383 500hp
--Adam-- ASE Certified Technician
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

as the car got lower. The extrension snapped and the back the GT fell down about a foot.

Scaaaary..Man,that would have given me a heart attack...Glad nobody lost any fingers..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock