Started on: 10-10-2006 05:36 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: Wht&BluGT on 10-14-2006 12:29 AM
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
UHM... wondering if by chance anyone knows of anywhere to get a baby squirrel. I have tried the "climbing a tree method" didnt work out so great. Also i know they are not "legal" in Iowa but i dont care, i will have one.

Thanks,
Keith
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
evelyn dick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for evelyn dickSend a Private Message to evelyn dickDirect Link to This Post
leave your front door open with a trail of peanuts leading inside, tie a string to the door knob, with you holding the other end. Then, just relax, read the paper and wait.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Talk to your local loggers. Go in the local gas station that the old coots hang out in and just ask if anyone can get ya one.

I called the wife and told her to keep an eye out for one for ya

Course we would probably have to meet you halfway if we do get one.

Brad
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Get a skunk instead. They're lots smarter and make better pets. I had a squirrel that used to hang around my house in VA Beach, he was pretty domesticated. Used to come in the house, eat from our hands, stuff like that, would even let you hold him, but basically, that's about it, not really "trainable" or anything. Skunks are extremely intelligent and actually pretty affectionate when they're tame.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Mmmmm squriels them good eatin' !!!

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

How about a raccoon or two? I'll box 'em up now.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Get a Flying Squirrel, they are small and fun.

http://www.squirrels-r-forever.com/page8.html
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
I'd much rather have an otter.
The laws around here allow for exotic pets, despite the attempts to change them.
Anyone know how I could go about it?
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
You want maybe a bigger animal? An Ohio white tail deer? We have them so tame here they come right up to you!

There are several on my front lawn every night.

And skunks, oh yeah yeah, we have skunks!

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 10-10-2006).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2006 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
84Bill is the expert!! Ask him
Nick
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I want a bunny.

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

I want a bunny.

Now thats goos stuff there

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Get a Flying Squirrel, they are small and fun.

Hi all,

THIS is what I want! Ever since I seen them in a pet store!! Though I don't think the store is still open, this was years ago, I could check for ya though if you wish....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Build you a box with a trapdoor, a stick, and a string, and BINGO!

You will be better off getting a young one, though.
Set up a nest in a tree, wait for breading season, give them some time, then wait till the mother goes to collect food for the young one, and BINGO!

Read up on them, study them, observe thier commings and goings, learn thier habits & needs, so you will be ready to take care of it properly.

Read everything you can.
You'll want to do it right, for the sake of the animal.
And don't forget, they bite hard & fast, with claws that are no joke!
At least around these parts!
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Why make a prisoner of a wild animal? Much more fascinating to watch them in the wild, in their natural habitat.I imagine a squirrel is a pretty fearsome biter...and if you must, then at least give him/her a partner to share the misery.There are thousands of cats and dogs who need a home..why not one of them? Or do you just want an 'unusual' pet'?
I guess this sounds very much like a' flame', but it is only a genuine opinion from an animal lover..now waiting for the 'Peta/ treehugger' comments which MIGHT just be on their way
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 10-10-2006).]

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post
I can pick one up for you.....
off the side of the road.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:
Now thats goos stuff there

Hmmm!! Wouldn't mind 'goos' -ing her myself !! Haha!!
Nick
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
'Peta/ treehugger' comments

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Mmmmm bacon
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
all good ways to get a full grown squirrel, but i want a baby. i have TONS of them near me as live about 50ft form a forest and a park with walnu trees and a ton od acorns (sp?). As far as making a prisoner of a wild animal... every animal WAS wild to start, we domesticated everything we now call "normal pets". Plus you feel bad about keeping one as a pet and spoiling the **** out of it, but not eating them? Not tryin to be a dick or anything like that, but if i get it young, it wont know its "imprisoned".

i guess i have always been into "exotic" pets. My last was a big ass lizard! dont remember the exact type of monitor it was but it would eat 3-4 full size mice a day. It was about 3ft long i had to get rid of it because the cage (nearly half of my living room) was getting too small.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Where did I say I eat them??
And you cannot take the 'wild' out of an animal just by getting it as a baby..it takes generations to really domesticate a wild animal..and even then you can't really do it.And what would you feed this baby on, every half hour for the first 3 months? They don't eat nuts straight away!!
And acorns are oak trees..just a FRIENDLY tip for reference.I already said I didn't want to flame you..just don't agree with it..but on the other hand, it ain't gonna get flattened on the local roads, so maybe you are possibly doing it a favour .Honestly, you will not get the 'wild' out of it by getting it as a baby....instinct is built-in from the second it was conceived,,
Nick

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

all good ways to get a full grown squirrel, but i want a baby. i have TONS of them near me as live about 50ft form a forest and a park with walnu trees and a ton od acorns (sp?). As far as making a prisoner of a wild animal... every animal WAS wild to start, we domesticated everything we now call "normal pets". Plus you feel bad about keeping one as a pet and spoiling the **** out of it, but not eating them? Not tryin to be a dick or anything like that, but if i get it young, it wont know its "imprisoned".

i guess i have always been into "exotic" pets. My last was a big ass lizard! dont remember the exact type of monitor it was but it would eat 3-4 full size mice a day. It was about 3ft long i had to get rid of it because the cage (nearly half of my living room) was getting too small.

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

one question, have you heald a full sized squrril up close before? they are cute when there far away. but when u look at there paws "hands" you will see how they are able to climg tree's so easy. i tried to save a squrril with a broken back about a year ago. those claws up close are huge. and if that squrril decides for some reason it wants to scratch you or attack you. or maybe you spook it or somthing else spooks it. your gonna go to a hospital. sounds dumb from such a tiny animal huh? im serious. same with racoons we had a negbor with a pet racoon. he never attacked anyone from what i know of. but if he ever decided to holyshit it would be bad.
i have been attacked by a rotwiler before. and once chased by a pitbull.
i got outa both situations unharmed. but i would rather face another dog attack then if a squirril went nuts in my house.
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
At one time we had several squirrels that were brought to our house for my wife to rescue. We even considered making an official rescue for tax reasons, but never went through with it.

The males are much harder to deal with than the females, they also start marking territory as they get older. Much like cats.

We bottle fed them them kitten replacement milk using the little kitten bottles, and slowly weaned them onto nuts (no salt, only raw).

Once they got old enough to feed themselves we let them outside to a tree we had a feeder in.

Even after a year outside we would have squirrels that would come up and let you hold them, feed them, and would even try to come in the house. We even had one that jumped on your head as you walked by.

Before all this we had a southern flying squirrel, much smaller, and much cuter.
He was small enough to go to the store in my shirt pocket. I would recommend you getting one of these ( NOT A SUGAR GLIDER ) make sure whatever you get you get them at a young age, prefferably bottle feeding age, if possible. This way they recognise you as their parent, and provider from a young age.

I am against just going out and robbing a nest, but I am all for you getting one that is doomed to dye, either becouse its nest was destroyed, or it fell out.

Brad
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2006 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Great post, Brad!! Kudos to you!
Nick
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Just get a bag of peanuts and be patient. You will have more pet squirrels than you know what to do with and a great emergency source of ... Ummmmm baccon...
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
There's a reason you don't see squirrels in pet stores.
They make LOUSY pets.
Even though a baby can be raised to be nearly tame, they never stop chewing, and can destroy your house.
My company earns a lot of money removing (and relocating) squirrels from attics and repairing the damage.
Skunks make lousy pets, too. But they're better than squirrels.
Talk to somebody here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 10-11-2006).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Ask anyone who's had squirrels living in their attics or walls - squirrels are just rats with bushy tails.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Veruca Salt: Daddy, I want a squirrel. Get me one of those squirrels. I want one.
Mr. Salt: Veruca dear, you have many marvelous pets.
Veruca Salt: All I've got at home is 1 pony and 2 dogs and 4 cats and 6 bunny rabbits and 2 parakeets and 3 canaries and a green parrot and a turtle and a silly old hamster! I want a squirrel!
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2006 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Might also be carriers of Rabies ..they are in some parts of Europe, I believe
Get a dog!! At least they can understand us..when they want!!!
Nick
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01314.htm

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 10-11-2006).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Wow, all those posts and nobody mentioned the best squirrel you can possibly find.

http://www.illwillpress.com/

------------------
------------------

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
rodents do not make good pets.
they are stupid, barely trainable, skittish & filthy.
only thing they got is soft fur & cute.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys: make sure whatever you get you get them at a young age, prefferably bottle feeding age, if possible. This way they recognise you as their parent, and provider from a young age.

Brad

YES! We've adopted 3 cats this way, and they are like your best buddies. They'll bond to you, and be like puppies. I even raised a Starling that way, and oh what a cool bird she is.

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:
Before all this we had a southern flying squirrel, much smaller, and much cuter.
He was small enough to go to the store in my shirt pocket. I would recommend you getting one of these ( NOT A SUGAR GLIDER )

He said he wants a squirrel, not a bat!
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Therein lies the problem. Many people "get rid of" exotic / wild animals when they find out they make less than their vision of ideal pets.

Tim
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

Therein lies the problem. Many people "get rid of" exotic / wild animals when they find out they make less than their vision of ideal pets.

Tim

no, it was a GREAT pet for me, but it reached the point where i felt bad that i couldnt make the cage any bigger, so i found a bigger better home for him. Its not like i just got sick of him or sick of feeding him or anything, just thought it would be nice for someone with more room to have. I am looking into other animals as well, like the sugar glider and my GF thinks we need a chinchilla (sp?). something small that could fit in my shirt pocket would be nice.
TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
i can recommend a chinchilla instead of a squirrel. fluffier, tamer, larger and more satisfying a handful.
you get all the positive attributes of a squirrel, yet none of the drawbacks.

my chinchilla, 'Kazooie'

his tail is very similar to that of a squirrel's, just that the bushyness is confined to the dorsal side.

Totoro here will demonstrate:

-"i'll trade you the Financial section for the Sports"

they're small enough to live in cages, yet large enough to be a satisfying handful to pet or have sit on your shoulder while you stroke them and sing to them.

i've owned skunks before, and would only recommend them if you don't mind them wandering around the house, getting into things, having accidents outside their litterbox, and hearing the "tchk tchk tchk tchk..." sound from their nails on the tile floor at all hours of the night. that, and their incessant plotting towards world domination.

[This message has been edited by TorqueWench (edited 10-11-2006).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TorqueWench:
i've owned skunks before, and would only recommend them if you don't mind them wandering around the house, getting into things, having accidents outside their litterbox, and hearing the "tchk tchk tchk tchk..." sound from their nails on the tile floor at all hours of the night. that, and their incessant plotting towards world domination.

Sounds a little like Miss Stinky... (misty for short) My brother's ferret:

OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
imagine all the stoles that we could make...
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
Why make a prisoner of a wild animal?

I thought a long while about this.
The whole "Is an extended life for the animal or it's benifet to mankind worth the price of it's captivity?"

"Would dogs rather be free?"
"Should horses be/have been left alone?"
"Are zoos humane?"
"Should snakes be captured to make anti-venom?"

And what about a Falconer?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-12-2006).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I wish Ferrets didn't STINK so much. They are fun to play with, though!

When is "Squirrel day", anyway...? Sometime next week, I think...

edit: yep, it's the 18th.

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 10-12-2006).]

mypontiac2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mypontiac2Send a Private Message to mypontiac2Direct Link to This Post
You can have Squirrels as pets in Iowa, They do have to have a usda paper work for them to be legal. I got raccoons as pets. There is a exotic animal auction in kalona,ia this weekend. It's about a hour south from you. You never know what people will bring. Talk to the right people and they can find you a person who breeds squirrels. I used to riase several exotic animals and went there to sell the excess. You probally could pick up a ferret for about $20. Here's a link.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/178070.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock