Started on: 10-09-2006 02:52 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: 84fierotrevor on 10-09-2006 04:11 PM
under8ted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2006 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
Anybody got a link to a semi-durable 2-seater off-road-type go-kart made from PVC tubing?

I'm looking for something the boy and thier friends can build, doing 80% or so of the work themselves......Its not much fun for them if I have to haul out a welder and do it all while they stand around and watch, so SCH 80 PVC (with aluminum tube insterts where needed seems like a pretty good alternative to steel for something they can cut and assemble themselves.

It needs 2 seats for a total load of about 180-200 pounds of kid. Its easy enough for me to come up with a basic chasis design, but some areas like steering linkages and live axle/power couplng (chain/v-belt?), suspention ect that I could use a little study time on. Once its done the idea is they can use it around the fields and trails in this area, so it needs to be more-or-less along the lines of a Honda Odessy.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
PVC?

I dunno man....

even with alluminum inserts there would be little hope of re-enforcing the joints...

1 good whack, and they may end up with a sore bumm....

[This message has been edited by intlcutlass (edited 10-09-2006).]

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
ABS would probably be good... although I think it's not as strong as PVC, but it also doesn't shatter... An important feature when you crash into something.... and you know they'll crash into something.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by under8ted:

Anybody got a link to a semi-durable 2-seater off-road-type go-kart made from PVC tubing?

I'm looking for something the boy and thier friends can build, doing 80% or so of the work themselves......Its not much fun for them if I have to haul out a welder and do it all while they stand around and watch, so SCH 80 PVC (with aluminum tube insterts where needed seems like a pretty good alternative to steel for something they can cut and assemble themselves.

It needs 2 seats for a total load of about 180-200 pounds of kid. Its easy enough for me to come up with a basic chasis design, but some areas like steering linkages and live axle/power couplng (chain/v-belt?), suspention ect that I could use a little study time on. Once its done the idea is they can use it around the fields and trails in this area, so it needs to be more-or-less along the lines of a Honda Odessy.

I dont think id trust pvc, unless you filled it with foam and wrapped it in carbon fiber.

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

I dont think id trust pvc, unless you filled it with foam and wrapped it in carbon fiber.

I still wouldn't trust PVC. When they hit something and the PVC breaks, there's a very good chance of them getting impaled with what's left of the "Go Kart". PVC doesn't break off nice and clean, you know.

It might be boring for them to sit around and watch you weld, but I wouldn't sacrafice my kid's entertainment for safety.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I'd LOVE to have one of THESE!

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2006 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

The kids wouldnt be touching THAT !!

These guys have PVC-framed peddle cars http://www.americanspeedster.com/ , but thier wheel/suspention setup is totally unsuited to the terrain around here (farm fields, ATV trails and gravel roads). It would be easy enough to adapt a 5hp motor to thier car but it still leaves the running gear issue.

When I said PVC with aluminum, I'm thinging more in terms of the tube/gusset method used in ultralight airframes, The main frame would be aluminum tube inside the PVC tube, with the PVC more or less acting as a "coating" and an assembly aide, and a secondary structual tie-in, Once the frame was assembled and glued, gussets of 1/4" aluminum would be bolted to the sides of all joints. very light and VERY strong, for the main part of the chasis anyway. The superstructure would be just plain PVC (or ABS) to save weight and cost......AND, I just happen to have about 20 pieces or so of 7 foot by 2"/.063 wall 6061-T6 tubing laying around as cut-offs from wing spars on my past projects .........All stuff the kids can cut with nothing more than a hacksaw and a cordless drill.

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

How come someone dont make a mold of one of those? I would love to have one of them sitting iin the garage besides my daughters wrangler power wheels

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
is this going to be powerd by that motor you invented??

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock