Started on: 10-08-2006 02:22 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: The ROK on 10-09-2006 02:26 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Ok so I am out in the driveway working on Fire451's engine swap. I am wearing my Dickie's work pants. For those of you that haven't worn Dickie's they have really thick inside pant let seems. So I feel something brush the inside of my leg and think it is just the seam. I reach down to pull my pant leg away as it was a kinda tickle brush feeling. Well thats when it happened. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I realized immediately what was happening. A bee had managed to fly up my pant leg. It was on the inside of my leg about 8 inches from the "family package". I was trying desperately to wod up the pants and stop him, I had on a large heavy leather belt and I was not about to let him have his way any higher while I tried to get the pants off. He managed to get me 3 times before I could stop him.

I managed to ball up the pant leg and then run upstairs to check the damage.

Well 3 large welts were starting to form. I sent Lisa out to the drug store for some bee remedy stuff, she brought back some "After Bite" and other anti itching stuff.

This was on Friday. It is now Sunday and the large red spots where he stung me are still there and they are still sore tender and swollen. I have been stung before but usually the pain goes away in a day.

I don't know what kind of bee it was exactly as we have several types native around here. It was not the kind with the big triangle head (I think those are called wasps) It looked like an overgrown honey bee.

Anyone got any suggestions.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I remember hearing that putting mud over the stings prevents swelling, but it seems that you're past the point where it might help.
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
mix baking soda and water. make a paste out of it and apply to the area.

if it was a bee it would only sting you once. after a bee stings the stinger pulls out their intestines. it must have been a wasp or bumble bee. they can sting you mupltiple times and hurts like the dickens.

edit. over grown honey bee is a bumble bee. yeah they really hurt. lucky he only got you three times. i had one sting me 7 times. they usually live in the ground so while working on the car you may have disturbed a nest. nasty little buggers.

[This message has been edited by sostock (edited 10-08-2006).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Putting moist tobacco in the sting will help A LOT.
I have heard of using meat tenderizer (moisten the area first) or ammonia.
But I have not personally tried either of these.
An antihistamine (cold medicine) will help with the swelling.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
When we do our annual drainage district work we run into plenty of bees with ground nests. I got nailed about 6 times last year, took about a week to heal up and longer than that to get rid of the scabs. Got me all over the head and neck, same as with one of our workers this year. We go through a bunch of bee spray each year, some of them it just doesn't seem to effect. This year I had some close calls

In the words of a politician... "I feel your pain"
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
drink booze pass out...repeat process until swelling is gone or you run out of liquor..lol tim...
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thats what I have done the last 2 nights in a row. Only added some pain killers / anti inflammatorys to the mix before the double vodkas.
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

mix baking soda and water. make a paste out of it and apply to the area.

best thing to do
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
my mom is allergic to bee stings and this is what she always did. she puffed up real bad, eyes almost swelled shut. she was deathly affraid of hospitals (well shots) so she would never go. i know that sounds weird today but she would pass out at the sight of a needle.
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
The herb echinacea pupurea taken internally will clear bee venom in a matter of minutes. I am allergic to venomous critters and if I take it right away there aren't any effects. Sometimes you have to take multiple doses within a few minutes of each other, if there are multiple stings. I do 2 caps wait about 10 mins then take another 2. That can be repeated for an hour as echinacea is hard to overdose on. It's not too late to take it as it neutralises the poison. Basically its taken until the pain and swelling go away. Native Americans used it for venomous snake bite, but I don't have any experience with that usage.YMMV
PFF
System Bot
The ROK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The ROKSend a Private Message to The ROKDirect Link to This Post
Tobacco is what I've been told

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock