Started on: 10-04-2006 10:10 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Butter on 10-05-2006 11:56 AM
Butter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I know--

Its a Compaq Presario laptop computer. It will not power up. Battery is dead. Light is on when plugged into the power adapter. I am now letting the adapter stay plugged up in hopes the battery might take some charge. The man it come from says he had someone put a charged battery in it and it still would not power up. Anyone got some suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
If a battery is not just run down but truely dead, it can often prevent a laptop from turning on. Best to remove it and set it aside for the time.
Do anything change when you wiggle the power plug? Do you have a way to measure the actual voltage output of the power adapter? The adapter could be marginal, or the connector could be partly unsoldered.

Of course all of this has nothing to do with the laptop not turning on with a fully charged battery. At that point you're looking at a more serious problem.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Try unplugging it, pulling the battery, lettting it sit for a while, reinstall the battery, then plug the laptop in. That sequence sometimes does it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
A bad battery can keep many units from turning on. It's intentional.

As noted above, unplug it from the power pack, remove the battery, leave it sit a bit, then plug it but leave the dead battery out.

Don't try to force a dead battery to work/charge. Even dead Li-Ion batteries are still potentially dangerous. If it's not charging then either the battery has failed or the system board has.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Yall,
I was reading in the Compaq book and it relates the same things yall have said but doesn't say anything about a dead battery causing it not to boot up when plugged into the adapter. Still wont boot with just the adapter plugged in and no battery. The power plug lights up which leads me to think the adapter is working. Probally need to find a good battery to try.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock