Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Carnivores, stand up! I LOVE steak. You?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Carnivores, stand up! I LOVE steak. You? by NEPTUNE
Started on: 09-27-2006 10:32 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Arns85GT on 09-29-2006 02:53 PM
NEPTUNE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Fierofetish raised this question in another thread, and it seemed to me that an important subject like this deserved its own thread.
So where do YOU go for steaks, and what does a decent (or exceptional) steak cost where you live?
We have LOTS of chain stores here in tourist world. Outback was born just a few miles away in Tampa. Longhorn is pretty good and reasonably priced (dinner is around $15). Sam Selttzers http://www.orlandoweekly.com/dining/place.asp?id=4063 has volume priced beef, pretty good, and very affordable at $10-15 for a dinner. Then there is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, with a la carte (sides are extra) starting at around $32.

MY personal favorite is a porterhouse with a bit of chopped rosemary and fresh ground pepper cooked medium rare over an oak fire at Casa de NEPTUNE, around $7.00, plus potato, veg, salad and wine.
And what'sYOUR fave place for cowmeat?
(Check this out) http://www.tonidunlap.com/porterhouse.htm

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 09-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Outback and T-Bones are both good for cow. Just don't get to go that often.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Newyork strip from Smokey Bones
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
here in KC a steak or bbq rest is on every corner (lot lot mc donalds). Hereford house and Plaza 3 have great steaks and atmosphere. Jess and Jim's, Lidia's, then all the chain rests. all good eats.

best steak i've had is at hereford house here in kc and delmonico's in las vegas. i used to be big on kc/ny strips but lately a like a fatter cut. like a ribeye or porterhouse.

i have to agree the place i eat the most steak is my back deck and bbq grill.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Outback doesn't do a thing for me. The few times I've eaten there, the food has been tough and the service was kwrappy. Never bothered to go back.
I like Longhorn. There are also the Texas Roadhouse and the Alpine Steakhouse.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The Angus Barn is one of the premiere restaurants on the East Coast, and has probably the single largest wine list between New York City and Tampa FL.
Some of the best Prime Rib I've ever had, and just about any kind of wine you could imagine. The wine list is 82 pages long!

But that's too expensive for regular dining, so my mainstay would be Blinco's Restuarant. On Friday and Saturday, they have a Prime Rib special for about $20 that's about the best bang for your buck you can get. It's like a Flintsones Brontosaurus steak - upwards of 2 pounds, maybe more, and barely fits on a dinner platter, with all the trimmings.

Ok, now I've got a craving for steak. Good job.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-28-2006).]

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i thought it was just me. my mouth is watering. i'm like one of pavlov's dogs!
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Do like a Japanese steak house every once in a while. My favorite is one called Myabi's. Steak, rice and vegetables. Mmmmmmm, Pavlovian dog-kabob. lol

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-28-2006).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Me? I don't like steak all that much. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat it. But I prefer my beef grounded for hamburgers.

sostock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
ya know, interesting topic.

after watching Good Eats one night i decided to make my own ground sirloin. took a steak, cut it into one inch or so cuts, threw it into the food processor and made my own steak burger. it turned out very well. a little too chewy for the wife but i'm sure a few more seconds in the processor would solve that. that flavor is awsome. real steak burger....ummm.
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
I like meat!

We always get our beef from the butcher store down the road. They know us (especially Tom) by heart and they are so happy to see him when he is home. He walks in and gets them to cut him a steak right off the hanging meat. He always gets them to cut him a couple of 1 1/2 - 2 inch chunk of whatever steak he's hungry for. (I usually eat about 1/3 of mine and give him the rest) Yummy! The best and least expensive steak is right from the butcher shop, and cooked on your own grill.

You can't get a good cut of beef in NC. There are no butcher shops and the stores carry crappy beef. (at least around the Fayettenam area) Sometimes when I go to visit Tom, I'll get a few steaks from the butchers and pack them in ice and away I go. Talk about appreciation!

PFF
System Bot
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
I think the best is Morton's of Chicago, in Cleveland. Not unusual to spend $60.00 per person, but worth it!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Beef is not supposed to look like that, That peace of meet is full of dies and carbon dioxide. Sorry folks but you don’t have a clue what a real good steak looks or tastes like.

If you eat out you are buying processed meat, if you buy it at a butcher or raise the beef yourself you will see the difference.

Beef is not red, it’s brown when it’s fresh. The stuff you buy at the grocery store it is not fresh, hell half the time it has been in the store so long that they have to die it to make it look edible.

My favorite cut, Sirloin burnt to a crisp.

Sorry I like my meat well done, if I wanted blood on my plate I’d got out and shoot it myself and eat it raw.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
Dining out, the Black Magic Steak from Bugaboo Creek Steak House.

Dining in, it was the Filet Mignon from Omaha Steaks, on the grill for five minutes each side, then twenty up on the rack for a perfect medium. Now, Hannaford's market (MA, NH, ME) has a meat section with huge cuts like I've never seen from our other locals (Shaws and Stop & Shop). Still exploring(!)
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
The best places around here are the independents.

I havent been impressed with the chains. Especially for steak.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
OK, Listen up.....................

Here in Russell, KS, we have a Restaurant named "Meridy's". A lady that graduated HS with me owns it and has been running it for about 15 years or so. Any time I have someone stop by, I take them there for a steak (or we cook for them here, one or the other). EVERY time, without fail, people have said they served the best steaks they've ever had, anywhere. I've had friends in from North Carolina and South Africa, New York and Florida, all over the midwest, Alaska, California, Nevada, you name it. I have one friend that has called me and said "Hey, John, I'm kind of coming through there tonight, wanna go to Meridy's for a steak?". Sure, Bill, where are you? "I'm in my P210 and on my way to New Orleans, I can be there in about 90 minutes." Uh, Bill, Russell isn't anywhere near your flightpath from Vegas to New Orleans. "Just let me worry about the details".

Seriously, I love steak. I eat it a lot when we go out. I've never, ever had any that can compare to the ones I can get 15 miles away from me. They are, that good.

John Stricker
stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
You savages!

Poor helpless animals...Meat is the devil...poor cow's...poor tasty, meaty cows!

Truth be told, I'm a meat eater. Best steak - Keg (mansion)

T-BONE!
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
P.E.T.A (people eating tasty animals)

When I dont feel good and just need a pick me up I go eat a nice stake. I always feel better after.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

P.E.T.A (people eating tasty animals)

When I dont feel good and just need a pick me up I go eat a nice stake. I always feel better after.

Do you hunt down and kill your cow with your stake?

Besides, if we weren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Bear Steak

Young bear can be cooked like this. Steak from older bears should be made into stew.

Marinate in buttermilk to clean taste. Wash and marinate in red wine, water, 1 tbsp. sugar,salt and meat tenderizer.

Bear steak, 1" thick
Salt and pepper
Garlic
1 cup sliced onions
3 tbsp. bacon fat
salt and pepper

One half package sliced mushrooms

Brown the onions and the mushrooms in the bacon fat. Grill meat or remove the onions and mushrooms from the pan and sauté the meat until tender.

Deglaze pan with red wine or Irish Cream for a sauce.

Surround with boiled (new) potatoes, honey covered carrots and parsley. Serve with sautéed mushrooms.

FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
If we got out for steak we go to Ryans. Its a all yo can eat bufett for $10 you can have as much steak and other foods as you want. They serve ribeyes cooked how you want it. Most of the time we grill steak on the back porch though even in the winter. I make a great marinade out of JD whisky

------------------

PFF
System Bot
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Sorry I like my meat well done, if I wanted blood on my plate I’d got out and shoot it myself and eat it raw.

I agree with ya there!
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Do you hunt down and kill your cow with your stake?

Besides, if we weren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

No I dont hunt at all
5.0Vert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 5.0VertSend a Private Message to 5.0VertDirect Link to This Post
Going out to eat is always nice.....BUT, the steaks are always so much better at home, regardless of what cut of meat it is. Buy it on sale....trim it yourself, marinade and season it. Then throw it on the grill. I like mine pinkish .
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkDirect Link to This Post
The Kensington Club from Steak & Ale is my favorite if I'm going out. I do like grilling my own though. I need to find a good butcher...

------------------

86 Fiero GT
-Stage eleventy billion...(pieces, that is!)

04 Mustang Cobra
-K&N FIPK
-DiabloSport Performance Tune

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boondawg:
3 tbsp. bacon fat

Knew bacon would make an appearance in this thread. Thanks Boonie

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 09-28-2006).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Meat = good.
Tammykos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TammykosClick Here to visit Tammykos's HomePageSend a Private Message to TammykosDirect Link to This Post
I'm usually a baby back ribs person, but the hubby likes the ribeye steaks at Texas Roadhouse.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
The best place I can think of is Harris Ranch, also my favorite fly-in destination.
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Fresh Meat prepared by me off MY grill is the best I have found yet.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
My 2 favorites are Filet Mignon or Prime Rib. Both would be cooked Med. Rare for me. We go to Teas Roadhouse, Lonestar or Logans most times when the whole family goes out for steak. Every once in a blue moon (like never) we get a night out just the 2 of us. If we go for steak there is a local place in our area called Sibley Gardens. They have incredible steaks. We also have enjoyed Carl's Chophouse in Detroit.
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I like steak too, but I have agree that I like Prime Rib better. Just a matter of taste I guess.

Arn

Edit, my favour steak is pepper steak.

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 09-29-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock