Replies: 31
Last post by: Tinton on 09-23-2006 02:30 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
It's driving me nuts. It has come to the point that if I ever get face to face with a spammer, I will probably rip his head off.

I haven't really counted them yet, but I guess I receive between 2,000-2,500 spam emails per day. Mind you, up until about 4 years ago, I received no spam.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Butter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

between 2,000-2,500 spam emails per day.

Your SO Loved!!

Whata ##!!
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
basicly, none.
you obviously need a spam filter.
my previous one, which worked very good, was Norton Internet Security. but, the package overall slowed the computer down WAY to much, escpecially boot-up. I am sure the newer version is much better - this was Norton Internet Security 2003
my current one, is just plain old Outlook 2003. it has a pretty decent spam filter built right in. and then I use Norton Anitvirus.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
probably 50/day
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
At my personal address I receive one or two daily, and they're almost always shuttled in to Thunderbird's "junk" folder. It took a bit to train its junk mail filter, but I can't remember the last time I encountered a false positive.

At work, 50-200 a day. Fortunately most of them are trapped by a filter on the server.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

you obviously need a spam filter.

Problem is that I don't think that's really a solution. It won't stop the ever growing stream of spam mails. A spam filter just prevents them from being seen by me, but they will still arrive at my mailbox and I will still have to download them from the mailserver.
sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
I get about 150 to 200 junk email's a day. My outlook just put them in another folder.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Well, ever since Uranus (or is it Neptune? Well, It's one of those cold distant gas bags) signed me up for every Democratic and liberal web site on the net my spam has doubled.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Problem is that I don't think that's really a solution. It won't stop the ever growing stream of spam mails. A spam filter just prevents them from being seen by me, but they will still arrive at my mailbox and I will still have to download them from the mailserver.

this is true. but I dont think you'd want an outside bot zapping emails before the even reached your server. there is always the "lost" email, which gets found in the spam folder.

for awhile, I would forward all my spam to random ".gov" email addresses. all this did was get my email address on blacklists.....

it seems you are looking for a solution that keeps you from getting spam in the first place. highly unlikely. just get a spam filter.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Our family email address gets about 30 spams a day and 2 pieces of real email, probably because my mother signs up for every mailing list for every site she shops at (and those 30 spams don't count those!). My Hotmail account gets only 1 piece/month though.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2006 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

It's driving me nuts. It has come to the point that if I ever get face to face with a spammer, I will probably rip his head off.

I haven't really counted them yet, but I guess I receive between 2,000-2,500 spam emails per day. Mind you, up until about 4 years ago, I received no spam.

AAAhhh!! That explains why I haven't received a reply from you yet did you chuck mine out too?
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Growing old is harder than growing up.
Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I am wondering if the callenge/ response spam blockers such as spamarrest would be benificial?
http://www.spamarrest.com/

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
I stopped using my isp assigned email account a year or two ago and went gmail full time. Works just as well as an isp account, can be set up with outlook just like any other account.

I get almost no spam in the inbox now. The spam I do get goes to the junk folder that I never look at anyway and is automatically deleted in a few days, Spam doesn't count against the gmail 2766mb free inbox quota and even if it did I would never need that much space for email anyway.

web based email is the way to go. Let them figure out how to eliminate the crap. They're hosting your space so it is in their interest to keep your need for said space to a minimum.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I usually get about a dozen spam mails each day. Many of them are the same thing.
I just click through and delete them.

That's not counting the ones that earthlink catches before they get to me.

Personally, I think spammers ought to be poked through the temple with an ice pick.

As much as I'd like to do that, what I really think would stop all the spam would be a 1.5 cent charge to your account for every address you send an email to.
That would be offset by a 1.25 cent credit to your account for every email you receive. The other 1/4 cent would go to the ISP to cover the cost of administering the whole thing.

If the bastards had to pay you to receive all their garbage, they'd be sending a lot less of it.
Those of us who only send a few emails per day would hardly notice it.
And it would discourage all of those damned chain letter emails that end with, "Send this to everyone in your address list or your d!ck will fall off" letters.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
As much as I'd like to do that, what I really think would stop all the spam would be a 1.5 cent charge to your account for every address you send an email to.
That would be offset by a 1.25 cent credit to your account for every email you receive. The other 1/4 cent would go to the ISP to cover the cost of administering the whole thing.

I'd be making $15 a month for doing nothing

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Exactly. Spam "works" because it costs next to nothing to distribute. For a little bit of time and a lot less money, you can distribute junk to an inconceiveably large audience. All a spammer needs in return, is one or two "hits" and they're in the black.

I don't see spam stopping unless it becomes almost completely unprofitable, whether through distribution costs or (successful) prosecution.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I proably have a similar problem to you Cliff. I own multiple domains so I have a lot of email addresses. I average about 700 a day. Thankfully about 500 of them get spam filtered. But as you say, still have to download them.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
A lot. I have spam software running on the servers, but I have tons of domain catchalls running which always seems to "catch" some..

I find the spammers are starting to get smarter now.. lately there is a neew type out there that loads images from a remote server, which then may haave a script running to mass check to see what emails loaded this image. Then they have a list of valid emails.
SAMPLE:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

5398 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by dguy:

Exactly. Spam "works" because it costs next to nothing to distribute. For a little bit of time and a lot less money, you can distribute junk to an inconceiveably large audience. All a spammer needs in return, is one or two "hits" and they're in the black.

I don't see spam stopping unless it becomes almost completely unprofitable, whether through distribution costs or (successful) prosecution.

Costs about $30 to get 1 million valid email addresses, if you sold a product for $10, only would take 5 people to make it profitable for you.. there are more then 5 suckers in a million...
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
what i find is that almost all the spam i get is not addressed to me, but something similar to my email address. for exampl, if my address is 86fierofun@something.com, I would get spam sent to 86fun@something.com, fierofun@something.com and the like. I don't know what's up with that.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:

what i find is that almost all the spam i get is not addressed to me, but something similar to my email address. for exampl, if my address is 86fierofun@something.com, I would get spam sent to 86fun@something.com, fierofun@something.com and the like. I don't know what's up with that.

That is called a dictionary attack.

The spammers will try everything@domain.com since they know a few will reach some valid emails.

If your host is running linux with exim, they can add a line into their config that helps stop these.

PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
The authorities really need to crack down on the spammers. There are several big time operators running the software, rolex watches, enlargement and pharma sites that could be shut down and publicly prosecuted. That would clear up alot of spam. The adult entertainment industry needs to tighten up their very lax affiliate sign up procedures, spammers currently have no problem spamming for adult sites with the easy referal rules.

Too bad Bluefrog went under in the DOS attack by an upset spammer, I really believe that I have the right to complain to the company that is being spammed for. Too bad that the spammers employ an army of "spam bot computers" the "toll charge" would be a good idea until someone found a work around.

Love to say more but I'm at work, got to go.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Cliff:

I operate my own SMTP mail server, and I use a combination of DNS blacklist (DNSBL) filtering at the server and whitelist filtering at each client to combat spam. I do not employ any more sophisticated anti-spam techniques. Summary data for one month's server blacklist performance is shown below:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mail log Analysis for Aug/Sep 2006

Total DNSBL DNSBL
Date Received Reject Pass

Aug 20 453 389 64 (partial day)
Aug 21 478 416 62
Aug 22 479 403 76
Aug 23 468 389 79
Aug 24 589 515 74
Aug 25 403 347 56
Aug 26 262 218 44
Aug 27 555 496 59
Aug 28 613 541 72
Aug 29 494 419 75
Aug 30 372 298 74
Aug 31 381 333 48
Sep 1 612 545 67
Sep 2 573 525 48
Sep 3 319 288 31
Sep 4 449 395 54
Sep 5 519 460 59
Sep 6 407 337 70
Sep 7 798 742 56
Sep 8 306 218 88
Sep 9 332 292 40
Sep 10 398 349 49
Sep 11 200 140 60
Sep 12 219 166 53
Sep 13 119 72 47
Sep 14 351 293 58
Sep 15 351 262 89
Sep 16 310 269 41
Sep 17 434 390 44
Sep 18 402 294 108
Sep 19 344 276 68
Sep 20 580 508 72
Sep 21 294 242 52
Sep 22 223 204 19 (partial day)
------ ------ ------ -----
Total 14,087 12,031 2,056
(100%) (85%) (15%)
^ ^ ^
Total DNSBL DNSBL
Received Reject Pass

Rejects by blacklist provider (in submission order):

1 - spamhaus.org 8,818 (73%)
2 - sorbs.net 1,187 (10%)
3 - njabl.org 2,026 (17%)
------
12,031 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, 85% of the e-mail received by my server is from known spam sources. You can also see that there is a lot of variability in the amount of spam from day to day. Of the remaining 15% that passes the blacklist filtering, about 2/3 is spam from new sources that are not yet blacklisted, and most of these are caught by the whitelist filtering (qurb) that I use on my M$ Windows clients. Bottom line ... only about 5% of the e-mail arriving at my server is legitimate!

A significant proportion of the spam I receive seems to be due to two causes: 1) policy, leakage, or theft from an old Yahoo discussion list that I haven't visited in years but Yahoo won't let me de-register from, or 2) leakage or theft from a domain registration many years ago at Network Solutions. In your case, I imagine that some of the spam you receive is courtesy of the same sociopaths who have attempted to hack PFF in the past.

As an aside, note the pronounced drop in spam on September 11, 12, and 13. I wonder why. Could it perhaps be related to the anniversary of September 11, 2001? Could it perhaps be tangible evidence of anti-terrorism countermeasures related to that anniversary?

I hope this provides some useful information. YMMV. (You did ask, "How much?" didn't you?)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-23-2006).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I operate my own SMTP mail server, and I use a combination of DNS blacklist (DNSBL) filtering at the server

How does that work (since I run my own mailserver as well)? What do I need to install serverside?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11600 posts
Member since Jan 99

How does that work (since I run my own mailserver as well)? What do I need to install serverside?

Never mind, I think I have it installed now. But where did you get that overview from? Do you have some kind of script that examines the mail.log?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11600 posts
Member since Jan 99
'nother update. I have now been spamless for 15 minutes. I'm impressed.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

... where did you get that overview from? Do you have some kind of script that examines the mail.log?

It's a rather simple Linux bash shell script that I wrote for just this purpose; all of the heavy lifting is done by grep. If you want a copy, just send me the e-mail address you prefer I use. I will also send you a copy of the relevant entries from my sendmail.mc file if you'd like to see them.

Hint: Use the sorbs.net blacklist with caution. They will sometimes blacklist one of a big ISP's many mail servers and then try to extort (my words) a "fine" from the ISP before they will delist it. This can result in rejection of some, but not all, e-mail from an AOL customer (for example) ... depending upon which of AOL's servers happens to handle a particular message. Very frustrating. It is for that reason that I no longer use the sorbs "spam" blacklist, although they have other blacklists that I still do use.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-23-2006).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Thats about what i average too.

However, until the spammers started un-teaching the spam filters this summer 99% of it was caught and i never had to actually SEE it. Now with the un-training they are doing, day by day what ends up in my inbox to see increases.
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Thats about what i average too.

However, until the spammers started un-teaching the spam filters this summer 99% of it was caught and i never had to actually SEE it. Now with the un-training they are doing, day by day what ends up in my inbox to see increases.

My Earthlink address gets spammed, so I turned up the settings as high as they get. I don't get any spam anymore Well, at least I don't see it.

[This message has been edited by moleman_in_a_FieroGT (edited 09-22-2006).]

5.0Vert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 5.0VertSend a Private Message to 5.0VertDirect Link to This Post
I receive about 1-2 a day, I don't have a spam filter or anything...just a unique email address .
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 5.0Vert:

I receive about 1-2 a day ....

We can fix that!

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-22-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2006 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
I have a system. It seems to work. I have several different e-mail addresses, according to function. 1 I've had for about 7 years now, it gets maybe 1-2 spams a day. That's total, including filter. Its never posted on the web, used to sign up for anything, its only an e-mail I give to contacts. I have another that I've signed up for every single thing for for the past 5 years. It gets about 50-75 a day. I don't even check it, except for occassions right after I sign up for something when the password is sent to that e-mail. Another I use for friends and other stuff, more like 10 a day, another is business only, it gets 15 or so a day, I just got a new e-mail address with our local fiero club and so far it gets none. Of course, it's only been around for a few weeks .

[This message has been edited by Tinton (edited 09-23-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock