Started on: 09-12-2006 02:00 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: moleman_in_a_FieroGT on 09-18-2006 05:18 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/11/gupta.genius/index.html

Intelligence research is full of surprises. For example, the brains of smarter people, as measured by IQ, tend to be less active but more efficient, Haier says.

I might have to watch the special on CNN on Sunday... sounds interesting.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
But if the more efficient brain were to think more, wouldn't that yield better results too?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:
But if the more efficient brain were to think more, wouldn't that yield better results too?

You're thinking too much.

I think.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
You're right. Ow, ow, ow. Brain hurt. Sleepy time now.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Why would you want to think more?

That's sooo much work.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I understand that, given the same situation for two people of different IQ's, the higher IQ would require less function to solve the same problem because it operates more efficiently. But couldn't that same brain, given more stimulous, function with the same efficiency and yield more productivity? In other words, can't we expect more work from the more efficient brain instead of letting it sit around relaxing? I feel I give some of my best reults when someone presents me with a challenge. Something that gets me thinking. It's Ok, I know what I'm trying to say anyway. May not be presenting the question too well.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Iw ould have to disagree with that comment. While yes smarter people can solve a problem faster, it certainly does not mean they think less. Maybe less on the task at hand. But not less in general. As a matter of fact, as the IQ goes up, so does the probablility for depression and other mental illness. I know my mind races 24/7 with various thoughts. Just never very long on a single one. And I am one of those with the really high IQs, although I don't feel so smart most days.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I know how that is. Thoughts bouncing back and forth all of the time. Clear thoughts are a rarity because true focus is almost nonexistant. Don't know where my IQ is. Hadn't had it tested since I was six or so. But I feel like a complete freakin' idiot some of the time. Other times, the people surrounding me make it easy to get a superiority complex. lol I try not to let it get to my enormously overinflated head to much though. On the up side, I've read reports where they say that an underactive brain is more likely to develop Alzhiemers and other demintias. So, if it's true, that's a plus for my "scatterbrained" existence.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-12-2006).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I think I have a headache....but it's an efficient one!
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

In other words, can't we expect more work from the more efficient brain instead of letting it sit around relaxing?

Sure. I think that was part of the point of the article.

For instance, high IQ person sees this:
http://hem.passagen.se/dpref/iq/fig2.gif
a couple neurons flash, and says, oh that's easy. The bars are at the middle and far left. Then he/she can go on to do other problems.

Meanwhile, low IQ person sees that, and sits there, neurons flashing, for an hour. Finally gives up and punches the dog

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 09-12-2006).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I think I have a headache....but it's an efficient one!

Well as long as you're puting that headache to good use, you're forgiven.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

whadeduck

8907 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Sure. I think that was part of the point of the article.

For instance, high IQ person sees this:

a couple neurons flash, and says, oh that's easy. The bars are at the middle and far left. Then he/she can go on to do other problems.

Meanwhile, low IQ person sees that, and sits there, neurons flashing, for an hour. Finally gives up and punches the dog

Could you try the picture again? I see a red "x" in a white box.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I get a page not found in Swedish.
Must be because I r so smart. Too smart to see the picture, but rather the 404 behind it.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Then find your own damn brain teaser.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I must be a genius.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 09-12-2006).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
\begin{array}{*{20}c} {x = \frac{{ - b \pm \sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} }}{{2a}}} & {{\rm{when}}} & {ax^2 + bx + c = 0} \\ \end{array}

There! I said everything.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
But if a chicken and a half laid an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick all of the seeds out of a dill pickle?

There, now I believe everything has been said. lol

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Well the chicken lays 1 egg per day, as the half lays a half per day, so there for it would take 42 days for the monkey to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Well the chicken lays 1 egg per day, as the half lays a half per day, so there for it would take 42 days for the monkey to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle.

I beg to differ. Taking fatigue into account, sleep time, feed time and toilet time the monkey would actually take 52.3456 days.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Soryy, sorry. We were looking for plaid. The answer is plaid. (do this in your best Alex Trebek voice) lol

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
LOL

But But But, 42 is the answer. The Answer to life the universe and EVERYTHING. So therefor the answer MUST be 42!!!
PFF
System Bot
fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
Thinking is overrated.
Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
Mmmm...........

Guess that means brain dead folks are geniuses!!
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

But what if the monkey's allergic to both eggs and pickles? Ah yes, the Benadryl factor. lol
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Good point, but if the Monkey was on crack, he would finish the pickle and defeather, clean and cook the chickens AND eggs in less than 2 hours.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Now, for extra credit, what time did the train leave Chicago?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
4:20
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, sorry. Because the monkey is on crack and he's responsible for fueling the train, the train never left Chicago. lol That's right. My mind IS a scary place.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-13-2006).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
No no no that is just not fair. You said what time DID the train LEAVE chi-town. Not IF it left. So therefor I stand with my original statement of 4:20. This is only because at that point the monkey sent the train on it's way so he could smoke a big fat spliff.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
But who owns the fish?
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Arthur Dent. It is in his ear.
PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Yes, particularly when quick reaction is required.

Kill or be killed.. ya know, that sort of thing.

Originally posted by fogglethorpe:
Thinking is overrated.

IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

You said what time DID the train LEAVE chi-town.

I thought Chi-town only had metro trains, therefore, a train could never leave. Maybe we're thinking too hard.

[This message has been edited by IEatRice (edited 09-13-2006).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
But because the monkey is on some seriously bad crack, he also neglected his other responsibility of telling people where to find the good acid. We all got ahold of of some bad stuff and it's actually all just a bad psychosematic hallucination. Thanks a lot ya dumb monkey! Beat him with the fish previously mentioned.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-13-2006).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Smart people think less

Originally posted by 84Bill:

Yes, particularly when quick reaction is required.

Kill or be killed.. ya know, that sort of thing.

It's official, 84Bill is the smartest man in the world.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Anybody stay up to watch the special?

Interesting facts..

-for every $100 spent on the "special" kids, 3 cents are spent on the gifted kids.

-20% of high school dropouts are gifted

So question - are we bettering our nation by spending so much on teaching the "special" kids how to use eating utensils vs letting the gifted kids learn at an accelerated rate?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

So question - are we bettering our nation by spending so much on teaching the "special" kids how to use eating utensils vs letting the gifted kids learn at an accelerated rate?

That's a legitimate question, even though I question the relative numbers ... if not the conclusion ... of the statistics you cited without seeing a lot more detail.

I might also ask a parallel question, "Are we bettering our nation by spending so much on teaching our student athletes how to play football and basketball vs. allowing our intellectually gifted kids to learn at an accelerated rate?"

The official answer to your question from educators and the like is usually along the lines of, "The top 20th percentile can take care of themselves and find their own way; the bottom 20 percent cannot." In recent years, by ordering increased funding for "special needs" children, the courts have tended to support this position.

I will agree that life is much more difficult for those with physical and/or emotional disabilities, but that does not justify ignoring those at the other end of the statistical spectrum. We certainly do spend a lot more on those students in the upper 20th percentile with respect to physical ability; both team and individual sports have achieved sacred-cow status in virtually every school district in the country. But those at the upper end of the spectrum in intellectual ability (and their parents) are far more likely than not to be left to make it on their own. End of rant.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-18-2006).]

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

That's a legitimate question, even though I question the relative numbers ... if not the conclusion ... of the statistics you cited without seeing a lot more detail.

I might also ask a parallel question, "Are we bettering our nation by spending so much on teaching our student athletes how to play football and basketball vs. allowing our intellectually gifted kids to learn at an accelerated rate?"

The official answer to your question from educators and the like is usually along the lines of, "The top 20th percentile can take care of themselves and find their own way; the bottom 20 percent cannot." In recent years, by ordering increased funding for "special needs" children, the courts have tended to support this position.

I will agree that life is much more difficult for those with physical and/or emotional disabilities, but that does not justify ignoring those at the other end of the statistical spectrum. We certainly do spend a lot more on those students in the upper 20th percentile with respect to physical ability; both team and individual sports have achieved sacred-cow status in virtually every school district in the country. But those at the upper end of the spectrum in intellectual ability (and their parents) are far more likely than not to be left to make it on their own. End of rant.

You should see some of the stuff they spend money on in the school districts by me. How many times do you need to replace and upgrade computers that are used 1% of the time for nothing more than internet? Have you ever heard of a smart board? It sits in the corner never being used. Elementry, middle, and highschools are all the same philosophy, technology will help the challenged. Heck, most normal people have a hard time operating new technology, I don't see it helping. There is maybe one school in the district that has the idea right, and that is better student teacher ratios. Hire more teachers, don't buy more computers. But I suppose they operate like any other government organisation. I haven't really looked at the private schools here, maybe they are better, maybe they are worse. I donno.

Time to go back to not thinking about what is was doing...
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierofun:
You should see some of the stuff they spend money on in the school districts by me. How many times do you need to replace and upgrade computers that are used 1% of the time for nothing more than internet?

God, the high school I graduated from signed a contract with Apple to buy new computers every 5 years at some discount... The latest "buy" was about 50 Imacs at $2500 each.

Just wasteful... And I'm sure macs will teach them the skills they need for the real world (filled with PCs). At least they have those convenient throwing handles...

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
On the other end of the spectrum, I remember a middle school that a gave a presentation at and then later talked to the kids. The teacher was allowed to use the one computer in the classroom but not the students. They didn't have any computer labs either. At a time when virtually everything is computerized, these kids weren't getting any experience. Bad idea if you ask me. While more computers aren't neccessarily an answer. Some computers might be good.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 09-18-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page