Started on: 09-01-2006 07:56 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Jax184 on 09-05-2006 03:12 AM
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsClick Here to Email Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
Actually it's $429 but then there are $330 in rebates. The ad isn't out yet (Sunday's newspaper) but for someone who doesn't have a computer, and would like one, this might have possibilities--I have no commercial or other interest in this.

http://officedepot.shoplocal.com/officedepot/Default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2279486&rapid=313180&pagenumber=1&prvid=OfficeDepot-060903&promotioncode=OfficeDepot-060903
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BobadooFunk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageClick Here to Email BobadooFunkSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
oo THANK YOU!!! i need one BAD!!!! this might be perfect!!

------------------

See my lame film creations..
See F-I-E-R-O's Fiero store!

Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
It's a complete piece of crap, so you know. 256 megs of RAM isnt enough to really run windows XP, which it doesnt even mention if it comes with. Certainly not Vista. And a Celeron D CPU is a complete heap. The fact that it doesnt specify the speed of the CPU is also pretty frightening.
No DVD burner, not even DVD playback. And a pretty terrible CRT monitor. If you like the idea of owning a computer that cost less than $100 to build, I also have a Yugo you might be interested in.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
You're mad that is doesn't come with Vista?
Jax184

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
I said that 256 megs of RAM isnt enough to really use XP, which means it's definatly not enough to run Vista. When Vista comes out, that machine's most certainly not going to run it.
Also, the ad I saw didnt state the CPU speed, or even mention windows. Makes me wonder if it comes with an OS at all, or if you're expected to buy windows.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageClick Here to Email BobadooFunkSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jax184:

I said that 256 megs of RAM isnt enough to really use XP, which means it's definatly not enough to run Vista. When Vista comes out, that machine's most certainly not going to run it.
Also, the ad I saw didnt state the CPU speed, or even mention windows. Makes me wonder if it comes with an OS at all, or if you're expected to buy windows.

good question..

im betting it is, but am gonna call of course before i buy...

and as far as mem, you can upgrade there... but i will grab some mem off of newegg.com for cheap
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

and as far as mem, you can upgrade there... but i will grab some mem off of newegg.com for cheap

If it's proprietary memory, which any HP I've played with is, it won't be cheap.

Kevin

Jax184

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Modern HPs just use the cheapest off the shelf parts (bought in bulk) that they can find. So they'll use standard RAM in a standard ATX motherboard.
firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroClick Here to Email firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm betting that someone who buys a 100 pc isn't worried that it doesn't run vista and isn't planing on pushing xp to it's limits. If all you want to do is get on the net and surf and maybe download pics from your camera it sounds good. Hell I might buy it for my son. All he does it sit on the net and talk to his girlfriend anyway.
Snowcrash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnowcrashSend a Private Message to SnowcrashDirect Link to This Post
That had a similar deal like this last Christmas. got there early in the morning to find out that you had to order the system and wait for it to be shipped ot you. $100 shipping charge. Not worth it.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsClick Here to Email Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Snowcrash:

That had a similar deal like this last Christmas. got there early in the morning to find out that you had to order the system and wait for it to be shipped ot you. $100 shipping charge. Not worth it.

Yeah, that's what Cnet said. $99 shipping, but I don't know about that. It's still cheap, but for emailing and surfing the net, which is what most people use their PC for, it would be just fine. Certainly not a gamer, DOH! I just report it, I don't review or provide criticism. It certainly would be worth checking out, for kids, students, and grandparents.
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageClick Here to Email FieroRumorSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firstfiero:

I'm betting that someone who buys a 100 pc isn't worried that it doesn't run vista and isn't planing on pushing xp to it's limits. If all you want to do is get on the net and surf and maybe download pics from your camera it sounds good. Hell I might buy it for my son. All he does it sit on the net and talk to his girlfriend anyway.

That's what I figured... 100 bucks isn't bad for a "new" pc for the basic stuff. I'd probably add ram, if the MoBo supported it. I also wouldn't do too many windows updates on it,(They tend to cause slower machines to really grind to a halt) I'd image it when it was "new", and when I used it, I'd save a copy of my files on an external drive. if it ever had any issues, I could just re-image it, and under 20 minutes, be all set up again.

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 308
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I checked on it but decided to pass.. $100 for shipping.. I just paid $30 to ship a new Dell. And you could upgrade both the RAM and the HD for less than $100 so it wasn't a bad deal.

But instead, I went to Fry's Electronics and bought an SATA 400G HD for $99 and 3.5" touchscreen and talking GPS for $199.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerClick Here to Email jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Every time someone posts something about a low end system you jump in and say it's crap.

That's not necessarily so. No, it's far from cutting edge, but for light use, email, web surfing, something like this could be a bargain. Your problem is that you know too much. Many people can get along just fine with what you consider "crap". What's crap to you might be caviar to a starving man.

You also said you could build this same system for "less than $100". I bet you can't, not with all new parts.

Just browsing Newegg, their cheapest bare bones case/mobo is $70.00 That uses an MSI PM8M2-V board with onboard everything in a case.
Now we need 256Megs of memory and a CPU. AMPO 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 is $25 and a CPU is $36. We're already way over $100 and we have no optical drive (not even a CD) and no HDD, nor a keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

A cheap CD Burner is $18. A cheap 80 Gig HDD is $42. Cheap Keyboard and mouse can be had for $10. Monitor with 16" viewable is $98.

Grand total, without shipping, is $299. And you still have to add a cheap printer in there. The F380 HP that's included is at Newegg for $70. Plus shipping.

You're right, it doesn't show that Windows is included, but it's not included in the above price either. I'll wager you that it IS included though, but just to be safe we'll assume that it isn't. The total from Newegg to build the same thing is $369.

Now you show me, with prices and where you're getting them, how YOU can build this same spec system for less than $100 using ALL NEW PARTS WITH A 1 YEAR WARRANTY.

I don't think you can do it.

Not everyone needs a Ferrari. Not everyone needs a Caddy. Everyone doesn't even need a Chevy. Some people get along just fine going to and from work with a Yugo. That's what this is, and for light use, surfing, and email, this would be fine for $100 with a working printer, AS LONG AS YOU RECOGNIZE IT'S LIMITATIONS AND IT WILL MEET YOUR NEEDS.

I don't pretend to think that it will meet YOUR needs. It won't meet mine either. But it will meet the needs of a lot of people out there and IS NOT the terrible value you make it out to be. Heck, to be honest, if you never use anything else, buy one, pull the 80 Gig drive out, use the monitor as a spare, put the keyboard and mouse away, and even for $200 you're not exactly taking a beating.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Jax184:

It's a complete piece of crap, so you know. 256 megs of RAM isnt enough to really run windows XP, which it doesnt even mention if it comes with. Certainly not Vista. And a Celeron D CPU is a complete heap. The fact that it doesnt specify the speed of the CPU is also pretty frightening.
No DVD burner, not even DVD playback. And a pretty terrible CRT monitor. If you like the idea of owning a computer that cost less than $100 to build, I also have a Yugo you might be interested in.

Jax184

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
I didnt say I could build a machine to match for $100. Companies don't come to me offering truckloads of motherboards with known faults preventing one RAM slot from working for a great discount, etc.
I said that it cost them less than $100 to build. Well, unless they just really want to get rid of them.

Buying an entire computer for $100 suggests that it's been built with absolute bottom of the barrel components, which is reflected by the specs. I'm not big on buying something that was built specificly to be as absolutly cheap as possible by a company I already consider as making somewhat shoddy products.

I've had to service a lot of extreme-budget computers. 4200 RPM hard drives made by samsung which become twice the bottle neck because of the lack of RAM causing the OS to swap constantly to the drive. Poor cooling of even poorer components, power supplies that failed QC and were sold off cheap as a result, no room for expansion, etc. We'd swap out a ton of 6 month old generic power supplies, motherboards with blown caps, hard drives that overheated and died, etc. The owners arnt happy when their $100 computer needs $200 of parts.
There's a Reason it's so cheap. Because it's not worth it.

If you wonder, I'm running an Athlon 2200+ right now. A whopping 120 gigs of hard drive space, a geforce 2 video card, etc. I've built it on a budget of nothing.

[This message has been edited by Jax184 (edited 09-05-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock