Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Can someone tell me how certificates of deposit work?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Can someone tell me how certificates of deposit work? by htexans1
Started on: 08-31-2006 07:51 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: htexans1 on 09-01-2006 09:22 AM
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Hi
I was wondering if any Fiero owners here could enlighten me about how the Bank, credit union, etc certificate of deposit(s) work? I looked on the web and no body seems to explain how they work. Thanks for any help!
S.Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
The issuer of the certificate takes you money for a specific length of time then give it back to you with interest. You have to let your money stay for the alloted time.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is a fixed agreement.

You agree to leave the money with them an agreed upon period of time, so they can depend on that.

They agree to give you an agreed upon percentage over that period of time. They can't change the rate.

Usually, the longer period of time you agree to leave it with them, the higher percentage rate return they will reward you for doing that.

You can almost always request your money back before the end of the time period you agreed upon, if you need to do that for some reason (emergency), but then there are pre-defined "penalties" for doing so. The penalties are that you don't make as much rate of return as you would have made.

So it is a GUARANTEED rate of return for you.

You would have to check the current cd rates to see if it is more than the typical money market fund, etc. But cd's are insured. Technically, money market funds are at risk and you could lose some or all of your money. That would be very rare, though, as most mutual fund companies would rather take profit from other funds and make that losing money market fund whole than take the hit to their reputation. But they aren't legally bound to do that. With cd's, you have FDIC security, I think.
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
the good: guaranteed rate of return.

the bad: if the rates suck, you don't make that much money.

they ugly: unless you open it under an IRA you have to pay taxes on the return.

this site has some more info on investing.
http://www.fool.com/savings/shortterm/03.htm?ref=smp

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:
they ugly: unless you open it under an IRA you have to pay taxes on the return.

Yes, but this is true about ALL investments that aren't tax deferred. All interest income is taxable if it's over a certain amount.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks everyone!
S.Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay