Started on: 08-31-2006 05:32 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 09-01-2006 01:06 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2006 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Maybe THIS time, we'll get to see some better in-studio speical effects!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14594789/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Maybe THIS time, we'll get to see some better in-studio speical effects!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14594789/

Dawg, do take it that you think the movie Capricorn 1 was a documentery???

It's good to have an open mind,
just not so open that your brains fall out. Joe
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
As someone that grew up in awe of the Apollo program (my dad was one of the engineers on the LEM)... this is sad. They actually said they want to update the apollo technology... OMFG. They looked at these companies because of their involvement in the Apollo program... EVERYONE is retired from that age, most of the senior guys are dead.

Why on earth would you want to update that old technology... Ok, maybe rocket nozzle design hasn't changed much, but it's like deciding we want a new transcontinental aircraft and so we are going to hire the team that built the Junkers from the last century... just update the props and throw a LCD screen in it and charge a few billion... Should be looking at companies like SpaceX that are using cost effective designs, although it's gaurantee'd they wouldn't go there since the owner has stated one of his goals is to put NASA out of business.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
What happened to NASA? I use to think ,wow NASA, now its more like ,meh what ever. Did everyone lose thier imagination?
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:
Why on earth would you want to update that old technology...

I'll take "Because it works" for $400, Alex.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 08-31-2006).]

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Phranc:
Did everyone lose thier imagination?

They don't have enough "public capital" to stick their neck out any farther than it is right now.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

I'll take "Because it works" for $400, Alex.

They don't even have the people anymore that know how or why it worked, it's all in propietary systems that you can't even get parts for anymore. I had some of those chips... think they are going to go with 1kx4 ram chips again? It was the stone age of the computer world, the design work was mostly done on slide rules... I should know I still have one of them.

I think it's a recipe for failure (well gauranteed weak performance, overpriced, assured delays... that sort of thing and congress will probably pull the plug on it in a few years), should have put out a bid with what they want to accomplish and limited constrains on design and let the companies have at it. Seems like they are just putting out a pork project for an aerospace company with strong pull.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750013238_1975013238.pdf

Technology!!! Check out the PRA tape reader for programming the LEM... 64,000 bit max (not byte... bit). This was an upgrade used in later missions.

Hey, this is neat... want the intro the crews got to the LEM?

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/LM-intro.pdf

Neat that a lot of this stuff got scanned in.

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 08-31-2006).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-01-2006 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Dawg, do take it that you think the movie Capricorn 1 was a documentery???

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................................................

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

They don't even have the people anymore that know how or why it worked, it's all in propietary systems that you can't even get parts for anymore. I had some of those chips... think they are going to go with 1kx4 ram chips again? It was the stone age of the computer world, the design work was mostly done on slide rules... I should know I still have one of them.

I think it's a recipe for failure (well gauranteed weak performance, overpriced, assured delays... that sort of thing and congress will probably pull the plug on it in a few years), should have put out a bid with what they want to accomplish and limited constrains on design and let the companies have at it. Seems like they are just putting out a pork project for an aerospace company with strong pull.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750013238_1975013238.pdf

Technology!!! Check out the PRA tape reader for programming the LEM... 64,000 bit max (not byte... bit). This was an upgrade used in later missions.

Hey, this is neat... want the intro the crews got to the LEM?

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/LM-intro.pdf

Neat that a lot of this stuff got scanned in.

Something tells me you won't see much Apollo era electronics on board. (duh)
But electronics aside, the basic vehicle design is sound and the engine designs were very reliable. Use what works well, and update it with modern tech.

Why do we still use aircraft today? Didn't Orville and Wilbur use a propeller driven craft with wings to fly way back in 1903? Gee, why would you build a new airplane with wings and a propeller? They didn't even HAVE computers back then.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

As someone that grew up in awe of the Apollo program (my dad was one of the engineers on the LEM)... this is sad. They actually said they want to update the apollo technology... OMFG. They looked at these companies because of their involvement in the Apollo program... EVERYONE is retired from that age, most of the senior guys are dead.

Why on earth would you want to update that old technology... Ok, maybe rocket nozzle design hasn't changed much, but it's like deciding we want a new transcontinental aircraft and so we are going to hire the team that built the Junkers from the last century... just update the props and throw a LCD screen in it and charge a few billion... Should be looking at companies like SpaceX that are using cost effective designs, although it's gaurantee'd they wouldn't go there since the owner has stated one of his goals is to put NASA out of business.

"The SpaceX five and nine engine architectures are improved versions of those employed by the Saturn V and Saturn I rockets of the Apollo Program, which had flawless flight records despite losing engines on a number of missions." http://www.spacex.com/

Why aren't you blasting SpaceX for using "that old technology?"
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Why aren't you blasting SpaceX for using "that old technology?"

I'm just glad he is not blasting me for driving mid 80's technology .
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I just wish Boeing would have won it. We can't win crap anymore.

Where is the engineering work being done? I may need to update my resume...

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

LOL. Good point.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-01-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Use what works well, and update it with modern tech.

The C - 130.
Been around for quite a while, still a GREAT plane!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I thought it was early 80's technology, with an engine designed in the mid 70's?

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock