Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  New Engine design may be lighter, more powerful, and run cooler.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

New Engine design may be lighter, more powerful, and run cooler. by Synthesis
Started on: 08-28-2006 02:46 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: AP2k on 08-29-2006 06:31 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Scuderi engine design

The new engine would be lighter, more powerful, run cooler, get twice the gas mileage, and put out only a fraction of the pollutants...

Is this feasible with today's technology?
How will the oil companies take this?

Yay or Nay on your part?
Discuss...

Please do your best to keep this non-political...

And if you like what I contribute, please feel free to rate me.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 08-28-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
It's interesting.
It looks to me like the parasitic losses of the compression cylinder may be a huge drain on the energy produced.
It also looks like the spark plug is firing while the intake valve is still open.
But, apparently, there's a computer model that says it'll work.
I'd like to see a working one.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-28-2006).]

Fiero Brick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero BrickSend a Private Message to Fiero BrickDirect Link to This Post
The description they descripe as the combustion event seems a lot like what we wound normally call 'detonation,' too. Maybe I'm mistaken, though... and I suppose that if they're spending the time to actually build one, they've already thought about this and probably come up with a solution.

I would love to see what kind of efficiency an engine like this would reach when coupled with a system to utilize the waste heat in the exhaust like which that I've heard BMW is developing. Y'know, generating steam from the exhaust heat to turn a turbine or something along those lines.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Brick:

The description they descripe as the combustion event seems a lot like what we wound normally call 'detonation,' too. Maybe I'm mistaken, though...

I believe you're mistaken. One way to reduce "detonation" is to retard the ignition timing. This engine already has the timing set after top-dead center.
larryemory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larryemorySend a Private Message to larryemoryDirect Link to This Post
Yor have the drag from two cylinders and only one is firing? You have a 4 cylinder engine and only 2 is producing power? The spark plug is firing after TDC? The reason the plugs in a conventional engine fire before TDC is the time required to burn the charge. By the time the pressure starts to build, the piston is on the way down. An explosion(detonation) is not desireable. I'd like to see something new, but I think this a a scam. We'll see.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larryemory:
The spark plug is firing after TDC? The reason the plugs in a conventional engine fire before TDC is the time required to burn the charge. By the time the pressure starts to build, the piston is on the way down. An explosion(detonation) is not desireable. I'd like to see something new, but I think this a a scam. We'll see.

Like was mentioned in the film, turbulence will increase the speed of the flame front. I don't think gasoline can detonate, even in an oxygen enriched atmosphere, under pressure. I might be wrong.

I think there's something here if they can keep the thing from blowing apart. But I guess that goes with any super/turbocharged engine...
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

I don't think gasoline can detonate, even in an oxygen enriched atmosphere, under pressure. I might be wrong.

This had to be an incomplete thought... that is one of the biggest problems with a conventional 4 cycle engine, especially high compression or supercharged ones. Even a rotary engine like the RX-7 can be made to detonate when pressurized.

Detonation is a basic operating principle of a diesel engine... without it, they wouldn't run.

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 08-28-2006).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:
This had to be an incomplete thought... that is one of the biggest problems with a conventional 4 cycle engine, especially high compression or supercharged ones.

Is it actual detonation though? Supersonic shock waves? I know it's faster than normal combustion....

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2006 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ryan, read this.

As for the Scuderi engine, I'll believe it when I see it.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-29-2006).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2006 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
its pretty much a 2 cycle motor, but cleaned up.
thats why it "seems" powerful - twice the power strokes. but, once you add in the compression stroke + the dbl set of piston rings, it wont be so strong, but still 2x power strokes tho. now, the compression storage tank - cute. I like that ALOT. store up decelarating compression. excellent idea. tho, I worry about volume. my next problem is timing. being that all combustion has to be after TDC, you are restricted to lower RPMs. much like a diesel. but, being a 2 cycle (basicly), you get alot of power in them short rpms. also, with CVT tranny's, you can use another nice feature of 2 cycle motors - the power sweet spot. 2 cycle motors all have a "sweet" spot where they make STUPID high power. that, with a CVT tranny, and you got a winner.
I think this engine is OK, but I think we would do better to stick with a total 2 cycle motor, and built the boost/compression another way. but, then again, there arn't many other ways to make 100+ PSI.

AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Bleh, CVTs cant really handle lots of torque. They are nice in theory, but they break too easilly to be made for sporting applications. And so what if you have to stick to low RPMs? Better engine life, better fuel efficient, and loads of torque.

Anyone have the video of the F350 owning the hell out of that Mustang at the drag strip?
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock