Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  To The Younger Crowd in Here.... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
To The Younger Crowd in Here.... by rogergarrison
Started on: 08-23-2006 06:38 AM
Replies: 88
Last post by: Formula88 on 08-27-2006 02:35 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I know some of the younger people do strange things for 'fun' or kicks so heres my little word of warning. Dont be stupid about what you do with school getting ready to start. 5 local high school girls thought it would be fun to go into this cemetary and run around in the dark for a scare and ring doorbells at houses in the woods surrounding it for the quick rush. Well one homeowner didnt know of the ' fun ' and ended up shooting one of them hitting her in the shoulder and head.....now in critical condition.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
dumbasses
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Your title should address stupid people, not young people. I take offense, I would never do something so retarded at any age.

I hope she lives, but I don't feel sorry for her.

------------------

More info at: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Stupid, perhaps, but it's often in the enthusiasm of youth that one gets carried away to do stupid things.

I did many stupid things when I was younger, and I'm just glad I lived through them all. Some people aren't as lucky. It's great when one has the presence of mind all the time not to get carried away, but most people don't learn that until they get some life experience, i.e. age.

Experience can be a harsh teacher, but the lessons are seldom forgotten.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Getting shot for ringing door bells? Is this really an individual who should have a gun?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Getting shot for ringing door bells? Is this really an individual who should have a gun?

That's what i was thinking...

People have been ringing doorbells for years. And for those of you who aren't young, some of you probably invented the game. The guy with the gun was the stupid one here. What did he think he was shooting at?
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:
That's what i was thinking...

People have been ringing doorbells for years. And for those of you who aren't young, some of you probably invented the game. The guy with the gun was the stupid one here. What did he think he was shooting at?

Now people are getting shot for doing the "Ding Dong Ditch"

I hope I never break down in that neighborhood after dark... might get shot trying to call a tow truck.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Not saying the shooter didn't over react, but do we know the whole story? Did the girl ring the bell and wait for someone to answer, or was there something else going on? They were doing this as a prank, so I think we're probably missing something that may or may not explain why the homeowner shot. What was the prank?
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Not saying the shooter didn't over react, but do we know the whole story? Did the girl ring the bell and wait for someone to answer, or was there something else going on? They were doing this as a prank, so I think we're probably missing something that may or may not explain why the homeowner shot. What was the prank?

Maybe Roger can fill us in. From what he has said so far, it was just ding dong ditch. Which I probably did dozens of times as a kid. I was shot at a few times for being on a famers property, he was trying to scare us off not kill us, but I was never shot at for ringing a door bell.

I agree this home owner is the one really at fault. A gun is no answer for a door bell prank. The kid maybe should have been brought home in a cop car, but not in an ambulance or body bag. What a jerk.

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 08-23-2006).]

SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigfieroman:

Your title should address stupid people, not young people. I take offense, I would never do something so retarded at any age.

I hope she lives, but I don't feel sorry for her.

Ditto, Young and Stupid are two totally different things. I know many people 30+ years old that are in many ways completely irresponsible and much more of a hazzard to man kind than me.
For example, the guy who shot some girl for RINGING HIS FU*KIN DOOR BELL!!!!!!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Heres the latest story.

These girls went to the cemetary on a dare. His house is located in the woods right behind it. Theres a local ' legend' that the house is haunted and lot of local school kids get dared to go and try to get the ghost to answer when they ring the doorbell or rattle the windows. They do it apparently all the time and do things like paint crosses and pentagrams on his house. They did it and he fired a rifle in the air and scared them back to their car where they went around the block and returned again. He didnt know what was going on so he fired at the car approaching his house, hitting her. His neighbor said he just snapped because this has been going on for so long.

Its not the point whether he was right or wrong shooting on his posted, private property. It dont make any difference since she still has a bullet in her head regardless, due to her own poor judgement.

Im with the guy myself...due to the problems Ive had at my place in the past. Theres no reason for anyone to be inside my property at midnite, and Ill shoot at you too. Everyone I know calls me before they pull in if its late because they know its for their safety, especially if theyre in a car I wouldnt recognize. One big reason around here everyone is jumpy because the latest crime on the increase is Home Invasions....you know the knock on the door and when you see who it is they jump you, beat and rob you or even kill you for your credit cards.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-23-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Its not the point whether he was right or wrong shooting on his posted, private property. It dont make any difference since she still has a bullet in her head regardless, due to her own poor judgement.

Im with the guy myself...due to the problems Ive had at my place in the past. Theres no reason for anyone to be inside my property at midnite, and Ill shoot at you too. Everyone I know calls me before they pull in if its late because they know its for their safety, especially if theyre in a car I wouldnt recognize.

Let me get this straight. You have such little sympathy in your heart that you think the man is justified in shooting a young girl because the man has had to deal with kids pulling harmless pranks on his house over the years? The man shot twice, knowing that his house is pranked by KIDS all the time. He shot BECAUSE of the pranks? So he wasn't actually in fear of his life?

He was frustrated at kids pulling stupid pranks at his house, therefore he critically injures a young girl with a firearm, and YOU think it was justified.
That is some HARSH cold hearted thought process you possess. I wonder, do the hooters girls know you are so cold hearted? Maybe it was one of their little sisters.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yes thats my thought process. You chose to do a crime you suffer the consequences. Hopefully the girls I know have better sense.

heres a link they just put up
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9721499/detail.html
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by connecticutFIERO:

Let me get this straight. You have such little sympathy in your heart that you think the man is justified in shooting a young girl because the man has had to deal with kids pulling harmless pranks on his house over the years? The man shot twice, knowing that his house is pranked by KIDS all the time. He shot BECAUSE of the pranks? So he wasn't actually in fear of his life?

He was frustrated at kids pulling stupid pranks at his house, therefore he critically injures a young girl with a firearm, and YOU think it was justified.
That is some HARSH cold hearted thought process you possess. I wonder, do the hooters girls know you are so cold hearted? Maybe it was one of their little sisters.

Whereas conn here believes one gunshot in the air isn't sufficient warning to leave the premises.

Edit: After reading the article Roger posted - it looks interesting. He's been charged with 5 counts of felonious assault. He fired twice. Must have used those magic bullets they used to kill JFK.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-23-2006).]

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Yes thats my thought process. You chose to do a crime you suffer the consequences. Hopefully the girls I know have better sense.

heres a link they just put up
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9721499/detail.html

Who in their right mind thinks toilet papering a house or ringing a door bell and running deserves a bullet in the head? Only a freakin nutjob, that's who. Better watch out Roger, you might end up blowing the head off a 12 year old kid someday for spraypainting on your outbuilding. Then you'll be in jail with REAL criminals.
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

connecticutFIERO

7696 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Whereas conn here believes one gunshot in the air isn't sufficient warning to leave the premises.

Edit: After reading the article Roger posted - it looks interesting. He's been charged with 5 counts of felonious assault. He fired twice. Must have used those magic bullets they used to kill JFK.

"Barezinsky, 17, was among a group of five girls who allegedly went to a cemetery for a late-night thrill and then ran across the street to what has been described as a haunted house, according to police.

"This house is in a very woodsy area. The kids started going for a thrill hunt. They go down to the cemetery and the other aspect is to sort of run over to the house," said Worthington police Lt. Doug Francis. "They made a couple steps, they got in the yard and one of the girls that stayed behind honked the horn. When that occurred, that startled the girls and the girls ran back to the car."

Detectives said that when the girls ran around the house, a person who lives inside the house, Allen Davis, fired the shots.

Barezinsky was struck in the shoulder and head with rounds fired from a small-caliber handgun, Wayne reported.

The five teens then ran to their car and drove away before they flagged down an officer on High Street."

Maybe you should read the article tough guy. There was no warning shot, and they were RUNNING AWAY because they got scared. The man fired two shots directly at the kids andhit one of the TWICE.

You would kill a 17 year old girl for ringing a door bell and running at 10pm at night.

You know the funny thing, they didn't even get to ring the door bell.

You're sick.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
You don't shoot at cars.
How do you know your hitting the person (driver?) who THREATENED YOUR LIFE?
When someone trys to run down a cop, does the cop target everyone in the car, or just the driver?

In this instance the question remains: Was the shooter's life threatened enough to use deadly force indescrimitly?
Should the kids have expected DEATH for ringing doorbells?
If they knew they could be KILLED for doing it, would they still do it?
Is it right to KILL someone for DISTURBING you?

Becouse the guy downstairs from me plays loud music till all hours of the night................................

Did these kids STEAL anything?

Becouse the guy downstairs from me stole cable from me...............................

Did these kids drive by playing loud bass?

Becouse there's these guys that drive SLOWLY around my hood playing loud bass...............................
And they SURE ain't driving around looking to help someone!
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
I bet none of them come back again...

I wouldn't shoot for the head though, maybe a leg.

Kevin
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They ran away, got in the car and came back again.

I dont care what you think, I protect my property. No I wont shoot you if I can see your throwing a roll of toilet paper, but if your in the pitch dark woods beside my house I dont know who or what your doing and you have no business being there, your getting shot at.

My reason for posting it in the first place was to get some of these teenagers to think out consequences before they do stupid stuff. Im not going to get in a big discussion (AGAIN) about what I think about criminals, vandels or whatever or how I deal with them.

A friend of mine just recently had a home invasion. Three guys knocked on his door, when he answered it, they knocked him down, robbed him of $10, found his gf in bed, she didnt have any money, so they shot her in the back. Luckily, shes going to be ok but with the bullet still in her. Now Im supposed to have sympathy for these dirtbags......nope, I shoot em if I get the first chance. I still havent heard if they caught the guys.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

You chose to do a crime you suffer the consequences.

Is ringing a doorbell a crime?
A death penalty crime?
Was "No Trespassing" posted?
Is trespassing a death penalty crime? (outside of a Military Installation)

He knew damn well it was just kids goofballin'.

You chose to do a crime you suffer the consequences.

So now citizens can determine if someone is commiting a crime worthy of DEATH?
And then they carry out the sentence THEMSELVES?

Hope no one catches you speeding!
I mean, you COULD kill someone.
Best to kill you BEFORE you do harm.

Taking the law into your owns hands is a slippery slope.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

but if your in the pitch dark woods beside my house I dont know who or what your doing and you have no business being there, your getting shot at.

What if I'm lost, hurt, or escaping from some bad guys who took me to the woods and shot me?

My reason for posting it in the first place was to get some of these teenagers to think out consequences before they do stupid stuff.

Teenagers do stupid stuff.
You did, I did.
If we start killing stupid (who judges that?) kids, non of us would be here!
SMART finds away around killing STUPID.
Theres a difference between EVIL and STUPID.
Adults are SUPPOSED to be smarter then kids.
PFF
System Bot
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
What ever happened to "tresspassers will be shot."?

When you get shot durring the comision of a crime its your own fault.
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

They ran away, got in the car and came back again.

They did not come back a second time, and there was NO warning shot. The KIDS were RUNNING AWAY towrads their car because they were scared, and the man shot one girl in the head and shoulder TWICE as they were running. You have your story all wrong. The girl wasn't shot in the car. Read the news story you posted. Heck just read the quote I posted a few posts up.

No I wont shoot you if I can see your throwing a roll of toilet paper, but if your in the pitch dark woods beside my house I dont know who or what your doing and you have no business being there, your getting shot at.

The man had been the victim of harmless pranks before, and he was waiting for them as they came around the house. He knew exactly what he was doing. Tha facts don't back up what you suggest.

A friend of mine just recently had a home invasion. Three guys knocked on his door, when he answered it, they knocked him down, robbed him of $10, found his gf in bed, she didnt have any money, so they shot her in the back. Luckily, shes going to be ok but with the bullet still in her. Now Im supposed to have sympathy for these dirtbags......nope, I shoot em if I get the first chance. I still havent heard if they caught the guys.

Either you live in the worst county in the entire nation, in which case maybe you should move, or you are trumping up this stuff for us here. You constantly post about this bad guy and that criminal. How come I work in Hartford, which has one of the worst murder rates in the country, and yet I don't post about all these terrible things happening to me and all of my friends or coworkers? There is an ocasional mugging out of the thousands of people I work with, but not like your constant stream of bad incidents. Where on earth are you living man? Christ, move.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

What ever happened to "tresspassers will be shot."?

"Trespassers Will Be Shot" has always been a threat, but not nessisarly a guaranteed justification by law.

Originally posted by Phranc:
When you get shot durring the comision of a crime its your own fault.

Who determines the "Commission of a Crime"?
And it's punishment?

Stealing cable?
Speeding?
Riding your bicycle on the sidewalk?

Does anyone get what I'm saying?!
Where does the line start & stop?!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Who determines the "Commission of a Crime"?
And it's punishment?

Stealing cable?
Speeding?
Riding your bicycle on the sidewalk?

Does anyone get what I'm saying?!
Where does the line start & stop?!

P.S. There is no good reason to shoot someone in the back, running away.
The threat is leaving.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

You would kill a 17 year old girl for ringing a door bell and running at 10pm at night.
You're sick.

If you have any proof supporting your libelous statements, this would be a good time to post them.

I did notice; however, that you didn't include any of the homeowner's point of view in your diatribe. An oversight, I'm sure. Here, allow me to help you out....

Stuff conn didn't quote because it might not support his viewpoint:
Davis admitted that he never saw anyone Tuesday night, but that he heard voices outside his home, which is why he said he didn't hesitate to pick up his .22-caliber rifle and fire two shots outside his bedroom window.

"I didn't know what their weaponry was, what their intentions were. In a situation like that you assume the worst-case scenario, if you're going to protect your family from a possible home invasion and murder," he said. "I don't know whether they were simply vandals or delinquents or simple trespassers. It could very well be that they had even more violent plans for my family. It's regretful that juveniles choose to engage in delinquent behavior."

Davis will make an initial court appearance on Thursday. He was charged with five counts of felonious assault.

"Did I mean to hurt anyone? No," he said. "Our family doesn't have a good relationship with Worthington police, so we sought our home defense."

When asked what he would say to the victim and her family, Davis replied, "Why was she engaging in delinquent behavior?"

Burton then asked Davis if he was sorry, to which he said, "No. Not sorry for defending my family."

So, his position is he was defending his property against a possible home invasion. Whether or not that's the truth of it will be up for a jury to decide. Luckily, he gets to go to court, where in your little world he's already been tried and convicted without ever even acknowledging his side of the story.

But don't fret your little head. The only little girl I'd shoot for knocking on my door at 10 P.M. is you.
Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Must be an Ohio thing, because I'm with Roger on this.

Just for another ohio story, not too far from here, a guy shot his 15 year old neighbor dead earlier this year because he was walking across the guys front lawn. This had been going on for a while and one day the guy decided to end it. He shot and killed the kid then called 911 and told the dispatcher that he had just killed his 15 year old neighbor who was laying dead on his lawn. Not that I agree with it, just another story about the way things are in Ohio.

I live in the highest income yuppy suburb of my city. That doesn't mean I don't have guns (one attempted carjacking) and threats (those are fairly common for most people here) in my face. There are still murders, robberies, etc happening often. Yesterday afternoon, I had a women in her 30's get out of her brand new CL500 with temp tags still on it (a $97,000 car) walk back to my car and threaten me about tailgating. My response: Its rush hour, its going to happen. I'll run your a$$ over if you get out of your car again.

On Sunday I had a gentleman telling me about his experience with someone getting out of their car not long ago and begin threatening him and a cop just happened to be behind him. All the cop did was get on the speaker and tell the man to get back in his car as he is holding up traffic.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 08-23-2006).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

In this instance the question remains: Was the shooter's life threatened enough to use deadly force indescrimitly?
Should the kids have expected DEATH for ringing doorbells?
If they knew they could be KILLED for doing it, would they still do it?
Is it right to KILL someone for DISTURBING you?

Good questions. The court will have to decide not only if the homeowner's life was actually threatened, but if he BELIEVED it to be in danger. That is justification to use deadly force in most states.

Should the kids have expected DEATH for ringing doorbells? Of course not. But, they were doing it for a "thrill." You've done stupid crap before - where did the thrill come from? From getting away with something. They knew better. No, they didn't deserve to die, but let's not assume these girls had no concept that they were where they shouldn't be doing something they knew they shouldn't be doing.

If they knew they could get killed, I doubt they'd have gone.
Would they have done it if they had known there was no chance of them getting caught and nobody would mind? Probably not. It would have been boring rather than "thrilling."

Is it right to kill someone for disturbing you? That would depend on the level of disturbance. But in general, no.

Given that he's been charged with 5 counts of the same crime for shooting twice, I have no doubt if he can be convicted of anything he will be.
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

So, his position is he was defending his property against a possible home invasion. Whether or not that's the truth of it will be up for a jury to decide. Luckily, he gets to go to court, where in your little world he's already been tried and convicted without ever even acknowledging his side of the story.

But don't fret your little head. The only little girl I'd shoot for knocking on my door at 10 P.M. is you.

Hey buddy, you are the one supporting Rogers assesment of the situation. Why shouldn't I think you agree with him? That's not libel. It's observation and commentary.

I didn't quote the shooter? So what, he didn't add any useful information. He says he was scared of a home invasion? Puuhhhlease! The man shot a 17 yr old girl who was running away because she was too scared to ring the door bell. He was probably pissed off. Heck that's what his neighbor even said. Why didn't YOU include that?

Don't pretend this is about me condemning before the jury reaches a verdict, I was arguing my point of view why it was unjustified to shoot the girl. I didn't say he should be hung out to dry. I just think the guys a nut for shooting out the window at 5 running girls, when there is a long history of kids think his house is haunted and daring each other to knock on the door.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
There isn't enough meat on the bones of this story for me to judge one way or the other who was in the wrong. But one thing is for sure, If I heard malicious sounding noises outside my house with my 1 year old daughter and 3 year old son and my wife as the potential losses, I would not hesitate one second to grab my gun. What I did after that would depend on how threatened I felt after a rational evaluation of the situtation.

Are any of us here qualified to judge exactly how threatened this man felt given the measly information in this story?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
"I didn't know what their weaponry was, what their intentions were."
Then you don't know enough to use deadly force.

""In a situation like that you assume the worst-case scenario, if you're going to protect your family from a possible home invasion and murder," he said."
Every person in the World could possibly harm you.
But until they show intent..................

""I don't know whether they were simply vandals or delinquents or simple trespassers. It could very well be that they had even more violent plans for my family."
But until they actually engage in "violent plans", you cannot just assume that is their intent.

""Did I mean to hurt anyone? No," he said.
Then why did you shoot AT them, running away?

"Our family doesn't have a good relationship with Worthington police."
I wonder why?

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Hey buddy, you are the one supporting Rogers assesment of the situation. Why shouldn't I think you agree with him? That's not libel. It's observation and commentary.

I didn't quote the shooter? So what, he didn't add any useful information. He says he was scared of a home invasion? Puuhhhlease! The man shot a 17 yr old girl who was running away because she was too scared to ring the door bell. He was probably pissed off. Heck that's what his neighbor even said. Why didn't YOU include that?

Don't pretend this is about me condemning before the jury reaches a verdict, I was arguing my point of view why it was unjustified to shoot the girl. I didn't say he should be hung out to dry. I just think the guys a nut for shooting out the window at 5 running girls, when there is a long history of kids think his house is haunted and daring each other to knock on the door.

Where did I support anybody's position? My post suggested that a single warning shot wasn't enough for you to figure out that you're not welcome. The rest you read into it yourself.

By the way, how's your Fiero running?

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-23-2006).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Why isn't anyone listening to Boondawg? His posts carry more intellegence and good sense than the rest of this threa combined.
Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Why isn't anyone listening to Boondawg? His posts carry more intellegence and good sense than the rest of this threa combined.

I would say because not all of us agree.

A lot of times once chance is all you get. If the other person gets their chance first, you lose yours.

This past weekend at 3am as I was getting out of my car way out in the country I was approached by a man wearing all black who approached me out of the darkness. His face and hands streaked in blood. Had I had a gun on me, it is possible the world would be less one deer-striking drunken motorcyclist trying to avoid the cops. Scared the $hit ouf of me at the time. I didn't sleep that night.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 08-23-2006).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Back in May I was gone for the weekend working a race in Topeka. When I got home my wife told me that she got up to use the bathroom about 1:00 am and noticed a light on over in the shop. Now I left on Friday and this was Saturday night. She thought maybe our hired hand had come over that day and forgot to turn off the lights so she put her housecoat on and started to go over to the shop to shut off the lights. As she left the house she saw a figure or figures moving in the shop window. She then saw a pickup parked in the shadows of the security lights so she went back in the house and called the Sheriff. A few minutes later, they left. The Sheriff never did come out, they called about 45 minutes later wanting to know if there was still an intruder in the yard. She said no and they told her they'd send someone out the next (sunday) morning to see if anything was missing. Which they did. Nothing was missing and nothing was done.

Now this didn't set very well with me. An intruder in my yard. My wife home alone. Middle of the night. They can't even respond to a call of an intruder? It takes 45 minutes for them just to call back? My wife and I go over the use and safety of the 870 Remington loaded with 000 Buck and shoot some practice down in the creek the following weekend.

About 3 weeks after that I notice the hood is ajar on an Oldsmobile parts car I have (with a 3800 that I'm going to pull for a swap someday). I walk over and the alternator is gone. That's curious. I don't know how long it had been gone, but I know it was there the first week of June because I sold a guy a right front fender off of it and drove it into the shop.

The weekend after the 4th of July. This time "I'M" home alone, she's at a Taekwando Tournament in Lincoln, NE, for the weekend. I usually am up late when she's gone, on the computer or watching TV or reading. This time I was watching TV with no other lights on. I get up to get a glass of Iced Tea at about 1:30 am and see the lights on at the shop. I knew I didn't leave them on. I go in the office and strap on the Kimber .45 and go out the back door. I make my way over to the shop in the shadows (not an easy thing to do) and look in the windows. I can't see anyone inside but there is an older Nissan Pickup sitting in the shadows again. I decide to just wait them out since the only two walk in doors in the shop are within 6' of each other and bathed in a security light. I took cover behind their passenger side fender, putting their engine between me and them, and waited for about 15 or 20 minutes when one person comes out. I was about 20' away and as soon as they exited I said "Stop right where you are, put down whatever you're holding, and lock your hands behind your head. I have a .45 pistol trained on you and if you make any sudden moves I WILL shoot you."

The person dropped whatever he was holding, I couldn't tell who it was at that point, put his hands up in the air and yelled "JOHN DON'T SHOOT ME I JUST NEEDED TO USE YOUR PRESS!!!"

It turned out to be a neighbor with a remarkable lack of common sense. He was also the one that was there the night Sandi was alone and he was also the one that "borrowed" the alternator. We went into the office and had a long talk about how stupid he was and how almost dead he'd gotten himself. I'm glad I didn't shoot him, I've known him since he was born, but he had absolutely no business in my shop and on my property in the middle of the night without my permission.

Had I shot him, I'd have felt terrible. I would not have aimed for a leg, I'd have shot for center mass. He would, in all probability, be dead. I'm a good shot with a pistol. I also believe I'd have been well within my rights to have shot him dead, given the history of what had been going on. I chose to warn first and shoot later, but I don't think I have to. I think I SHOULD, as a responsible person, but I don't think I have to.

If there had been 3 or 4 people come out that door, all with armloads of stuff, I honestly don't think I would have warned first, I really don't know. I'll take my chances with me holding a handgun and one, or two intruders. More than that? I don't know if I would have. The odds decline quickly and I am going to ASSUME that anyone that's there to steal from me is also armed, I can't assume anything else.

In the case of the subject of this thread, the way it sounds to me this house is out in the sticks and secluded. Those that are saying the homeowner was so in the wrong are forgetting something and that thing is that the homeowner was very likely scared to death. They don't KNOW what's going on, they only know there are people outside trying to get in. They know they probably have about the same law enforcement response time I do, which means if something DOES go bad it's going to be all over by the time the police get there. I asked our Sheriff one time what should I do if we have an intruder. He told me buy a gun and learn how to use it because anything that was going to happen would be done before they could help. We are literally on our own out here, and I'm sure that homeowner felt the same way.

For those of you that say he shouldn't be allowed to own a gun, I say "bite me". A person has the right to protect themselves. I'm not saying this person was right or wrong, I'm saying I think I understand what he was feeling at the time. He's been charged with a crime. Had I shot my neighbor, I would have been charged with at LEAST manslaughter, no doubt in my mind. When someone gets shot, someone's going to get arrested if they know who did the shooting. That's just the way it is. It's tragic that it happened to the girl but in all honestly, what you guys are calling a "prank" turned deadly. There was no need for them to be trespassing and because they were doing something they shouldn't have been, things turned out deadly tragic.

I hope the girl makes it through OK. I can find a lot of fault with the guy doing the shooting. Shooting at a vehicle leaving his premises is simply uncalled for, regardless if they were trespassing or not. Again, keep in mind he may very well have been scared to death at the time.

Nothing good came out of this "harmless prank", but none of it would have happened if the girls would have respected other people's property. Very sad.

John Stricker
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
jstricker's got a point. I don't know how much you guys trust the people in your area, but if I heard voices outside my house when it's dark outside, I'd be grabbing a weapon. And I live in one of the nicer parts of Houston.

Reminds me of my parent's situation. They live in a farm in a rural area. Their house is rather nice compared to other houses in the area. And they were having the same kinds of troubles. At first, it looked like the work of teenagers: graffiti on the gate. But nowadays, the gate is open every morning and my parents aren't opening it. Real easy for someone to do something worse. So, one day when they spotted a cop, they got him to go to the house to check it out. He said that he would be on the lookout, but no one honestly expects him to do so. I don't remember exactly what he told them, but it involved guns. Mainly, getting a reputation as someone who doesn't hesitate to shoot.

I'm not saying that the guy who shot the girl was doing this. But this is what's happening to them.
buger_57

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buger_57Send a Private Message to buger_57Direct Link to This Post
First of all...i take offense...im young...but i dont go around doing this stuff....second....he shouldnt have shot the girl....stupid....third....the girls shouldnt have been doing it in the first place. just my 2cents
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
(makes mental note to not show up at John's past midnight...)

Dude, your neighbor is a fool, idiot, and thief. I know the safety was off and the hammer was back, and he is lucky he didn't get a 180gr HP in his heart. My bet is Federal Hydra-Shocks, knowing you... or maybe some of the Corbon ++p's.... toast. I would have been shaking and spent for 20 mins of adrenaline rush... why didn't you call the police before you went out? What an idiot. Guy probably has kids. Man I am glad you had the restraint to keep off the trigger, I am not sure I could've trusted myself at that point.

You paint a good (terribly disconcerting, but good) picture with words. I felt like I was there.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
We all agreed he was a fool. He's married with two small daughters. When not target shooting, I have 230gr JHP in the magazine.

Good question on why I didn't call the sheriff. I don't know. To be honest, it never even occured to me at the time. It would have been better all around to have called them to tell them I had an intruder and was going out to find out what was going on. Then, if something would have happened, it would have been on record that I called quite a bit before anything else happened. Chalk that one up to stupidity on my part.

The really strange thing is this guy has gone with me to my target range in the creek and shot with me. He knows I'm armed. He knows I'm going to bring a gun to a situation like this. He also knows he'd have been MORE than welcome to have called anytime, even in the middle of the night, to ask permission. He just (stupidly) didn't want to bother me and, since he'd done it before, thought nobody would even know.....no harm done.

He hasn't been back since, so apparently it was a lesson well learned.

As for you showing up in the middle of the night...........send the wifey first, she'll always get preferential treatment, you know that! (you might even just pick up a phone and give me a call before you come and all will be just fine)

John Stricker

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

(makes mental note to not show up at John's past midnight...)

Dude, your neighbor is a fool, idiot, and thief. I know the safety was off and the hammer was back, and he is lucky he didn't get a 180gr HP in his heart. My bet is Federal Hydra-Shocks, knowing you... or maybe some of the Corbon ++p's.... toast. I would have been shaking and spent for 20 mins of adrenaline rush... why didn't you call the police before you went out? What an idiot. Guy probably has kids. Man I am glad you had the restraint to keep off the trigger, I am not sure I could've trusted myself at that point.

You paint a good (terribly disconcerting, but good) picture with words. I felt like I was there.

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by moleman_in_a_FieroGT:
I live in one of the nicer parts of Houston.

i didn't know there were any

i'm part of the gun tooting crowd.
i have my AMT 45 close to my bed.
my colt 380 is hidden behind very thin sheet rock in a wall
and my two brownings are hidden at different ends of the basement

dont try to come in my house when i am here.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock