Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Any First Gen XBox owners who have modded? (Need some input on Emulators and ROMs)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Any First Gen XBox owners who have modded? (Need some input on Emulators and ROMs) by Synthesis
Started on: 08-19-2006 01:24 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: jmbishop on 08-21-2006 07:56 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Running XBMC on mine, have several n64 ROMs, and the emulators... Looking for input, or even access to ROMs for all platforms for the XBox... Have found several, not sure which are the best...

If you have them, and can chime in, lemme know what you use, why you use it, and what ROMs you play on it the most...

I love my XBox
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I let my XBox Live subscription lapse, and don't plan on renewing it. Now I'm thinking about modding the XBox. Only I'm not looking for emus and ROMs. I'm thinking more of HTPC functionality. So if anyone can help with that stuff, that would be cool too.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-19-2006).]

8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I Mod and sell xboxes for spare cash in my free time. On all my xboxes I include these Emulators, as they work flawlessly on my xbox.
286-386 - DOSXBox
Amstrad CPC - ArnoldX
Arcade - MAMEoX128 Plus!
Atari 2600 - Z26X
Atari 800-5200-130-320-XL-XE - AtariXLBox
Atari Lynx - Mednafenx-lynx
Atari ST - WinstonX
MSX-MSX2-MSX2+ - BlueMSXBox
Neogeo-CPS1-CPS2 - FBAXXX Pro
Nintendo 64 - Surreal 64xxx
Nintendo GB-GBC-GBA - XBoyAdvance
Nintendo NES - Mednafenx-nes
Sega Genesis-32X-CD - NeoGenesis
Sega MS-GG-SG-1000-SC-3000-SF-7000-MK3 - MekaX
SNK NeoGeo Pocket - NeoPopX
Sony Playstation - PCSXBox
Super Nintendo Entertainment System - xSnes9x
Turbo Grafx 16-PCE-SGrafx-CD-SCD - Mednafenx-pce
Wonderswan - WonderSwanX
X68000 - X68000X

Oh yea and Can't forget MameOX for running all those nifty MAME roms too

If you want to download them here is a link to the torrent.... http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/306993/4336113/
As for the Roms, well if you watch the newsgroups at least once a week or so, someone will post every single rom for whatever system.
I have pretty much all of them on mine.

Randy

BlackTree you would need to load and run XBMC XBox Media Center.
It will allow you to view pretty much any movie format on your TV, as well as play pretty well any type of music file. You can either serve the files to it via another PC, or if you have a larger HD in your Xbox, Store them on the Xbox. The newest versions of XBMC will also play shoutcasts and podcasts. Plus you could install LynxBox and surf the web from it as well

Here is a link to a rather descent compile of the latest XBMC ....
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/420191/1445371/

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 08-19-2006).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Sort of off topic to your question,but my fist gen x-box had read problems after the first year (it's been modded).I found out that the Tomson drives (spelling?)are junk,replacement drives are avalable on ebay and don't buy another Tomson there.Whats an XBMC and how maney MB is a ROM?Got any links?The price on used games are cheep enough now,that I don't recomend modding an X-box,but thats probubly not the type of mod your talking about.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 08-19-2006).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
When you mod your XBox, you can run an Emulator...

Right now, my XBox can run Nintendo 64 games, NES, XBox games, Sega games...
I can run them all on it, just needed/wanted some decent ROMs and Emus for it....

I DO recommend modding.
I am running XBox Media Center on mine with the XBox 360 interface. I love it.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Actually there are MANY reasons to mod an Xbox just besides playing copied (or backuped) games. The Xbox imho is utter Junk... that is unless it is modded
I would not own a normal xbox, but I would not give my modded one up.

The Thompson drives do go bad, but then so do ALL the xbox DVD drives. Last week I rebuild a Thompson, and 4 Samsung DVD drives for xboxes. They all have the same problem. The laser goes out. XBMC is a program that allows you to turn your Xbox into a MultiMedia center for your TV. Mine is used to play AVI's Mpegs, DivX etc etc etc, plus I use it to listen to Winamp shoutcasts, and play my MP3's since my TV has the big speakers. The only thing a full blown HTPC can do that my xbox cannot do, is record. Since there is no TV Tuner card for an Xbox you cannot actually stream or record TV shows with it. But if you go out and download say a Kvcd or a VCD or how ever they wish to rip a movie, you can watch it on your TV with no fuss using your xbox.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
www.gameparts.biz sells a cable that turns a controller socket into a usb socket to plug a mouse or keyboard into...

That's where I got my GC case + SD Gecko and they ship from the US unlike most "mod" sites. I have a modded Gamecube.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 08-19-2006).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I think I have a Gamecube coming into the shop this week to mod.
We are listed http://www.divineo.com as a Mod/Repair shop for all makes of consoles.
I get some of my parts from there, but I have several other places I can go to for the hard to
find stuff as well.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

8Ball

10865 posts
Member since Jul 2001
You want roms, here are the Roms. http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/498229/over_3000_roms_and_emulators_on_xbox_disk

As well as all the emulators. I am pretty sure this is the exact same Rom pack I have on my machine. If so it has nearly all the roms
for every one of the emulators I mentioned earlier in this thread... As well as the emulators. It is set up for use as a DVD, but all you have to to
to keep it on your hard drive is extract it to the xbox drive, and then go into each emulator and change the default directories.

Enjoy And for the record, the Jap MSX and MSX2 systems are pretty sweet for their ages.

Opps, it looks like there are currently no seeders, but if you request this on newsgroup alt.binaries.games.xbox I can assure you someone will post it. It is on there regularly.

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 08-19-2006).]

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
Check out eMule/eDonkey. Tons of roms to be had.

For emulators:

http://xport.xbox-scene.com/
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Now that I think about it, Gran Turismo on the Xbox would be kinda cool. Hmm... maybe it's emu time...

BTW, do all the mod chips allow you to upgrade the hard drive (and/or the DVD-ROM drive), or just certain ones?

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-21-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Heretic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HereticSend a Private Message to HereticDirect Link to This Post
What about playing a modded xbox online?

I was looking at xbconnect but it looks like it only supports certain games...
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
xbconnect will work with any game that suports system link and doesn't even require a modded xbox to use.

Edit: Almost forgot all you people with failing dvd drives, most of them just get dirty and are out of adjustment because or it. I have been able to repair 2 out of 2 xbox dvd drives by cleaning them(not the lense but the moving parts atatched to them)

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 08-21-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock