Started on: 08-19-2006 07:41 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: fierofetish on 08-20-2006 09:53 AM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Laptop keeps shutting down for no reason.Had a couple of Blue screen of deaths.Started when I received an email from an 'ex-member' of PFF couple of days ago, with a link.but might be coincidence.Yes. I did click on it, and everything went weird...but has got worse since I installed my Linksys USB adapter.Discovered that system restore won't restore, even though there are a lot of dates available...What can I do?? Get this off before it closes down again...aaaagh!!
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Growing old is harder than growing up.
Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
Which Windows version?
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
XP Home...still here
Nick
Add: Norton didn't pick anything up, and when I try to run Spyware Doctor, it shuts down before it completes..Maybe I have a trojan horse or something??

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 08-19-2006).]

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
Do you have diagnostic software installed? Such as Norton System Works?

Could be a virus, but I am leaning toward a system error associated with the hardware install.

Eliminate that possibilty before proceeding with the virus approach. Problem is, if you picked up a virus newer than the updates in your virus engine the engine would not find the virus anyway.

Do you remember the name of the attached file in the e-mail?

You can restore XP from the OEM disc if you have one (those da*n OEMs don't give discs like they once did ). The process is a little risky though. A good set of instructions are located here:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 08-19-2006).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Can I copy/paste it here safely?
Nick
Didn't get a disc with the laptop, secondhand. Has an identification sticker on the bottom..with the code on it
Seems to be staying up now..What is up with system restore? Just comes back saying no action could be taken, and was left unrestored

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Nick

I would not do that, too many Windows users on the forum. You could e-mail it to me (I run Linux, no worries).

tutnkmn@prodigy.net
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Sent..thanks!!
Nick
Oh, + too!!

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Nick
Didn't get a disc with the laptop, secondhand. Has an identification sticker on the bottom..with the code on it
Seems to be staying up now..What is up with system restore? Just comes back saying no action could be taken, and was left unrestored

System restore can be effected by soooooo many things. I have seen it work great, but a virus or other code error can send restore into a tailspin.
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

tutnkmn

3426 posts
Member since May 2006

Sent..thanks!!
Nick
Oh, + too!!

Waiting. My e-mail system can be slooooow sometimes.

Well. Should have come by now

Try this e-mail: tutnkmn@prospectplace-dresden.com

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I have been really wanting to format my hard drive, and clean it all up...but not having the disc ha made me sceptical as to whether I can do it?
Nick

<<<<<<Aaagh!! is this some kind of badluck milestone approaching here??!!
Done

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

I have been really wanting to format my hard drive, and clean it all up...but not having the disc ha made me sceptical as to whether I can do it?
Nick

M$ is so paranoid about people pirating their software they keep the OEMs from sending restore discs.

I called Compaq for a lady one time who had just buggered her system and pretty much insisted we needed a restoration disc. They said "no way!"

She had SP2 and all I had at the time was a SP1 disc.

PFF
System Bot
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Nick,

Go to your start menu, right click on "My Computer" This will bring up a context menu. Left click on Manage. This will bring up the computer management window.
Then click on the + by Event Viewer And Click on system. This will show you the logs for your system. Scroll down the list and look for the error (Red Flag) that correspondes with the last time you blue screened.

Could you copy and past the contents of that error here. It may give us a clue as to what is wrong.
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
Got the e-mail. gm.asp

Checking...........................

Would not launch from the site (on Linux anyway). Scanning for virus now.................

No obvious problems so far. Going to a Windows machine I could care less to break and check from there by running the file........................

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

tutnkmn

3426 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Nick,

Go to your start menu, right click on "My Computer" This will bring up a context menu. Left click on Manage. This will bring up the computer management window.
Then click on the + by Event Viewer And Click on system. This will show you the logs for your system. Scroll down the list and look for the error (Red Flag) that correspondes with the last time you blue screened.

Could you copy and past the contents of that error here. It may give us a clue as to what is wrong.

Do this too. First step is problem isolation. I'll look at the virus angle and get back soon...........

No problems running the video on the Windows machine. AVG caught nothing bad, virus or spyware. File seems OK.

Doing a complete scan of that machine to make sure there were no illicit file downloads.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hello Randy, and thanks to you too. Can't seem to copy to paste..I have copied the whole log to' my documents'....can I email it to you?
There are a lot of 'warnings', and quite a few errors...mainly tcpip and DCOM..
Nick

Nick,

------------------

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Yes please do. I will happily go over it for you.

Email it to viriiguy@gmail.com
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Hello Randy, and thanks to you too. Can't seem to copy to paste..I have copied the whole log to' my documents'....can I email it to you?
There are a lot of 'warnings', and quite a few errors...mainly tcpip and DCOM..
Nick

DHCP and acpi errors are quite common in XP

Our XP machine is repleat with these as it does not work and play well with our Linux based network

Windows networking......bwahhhahahahaha!

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Yea those two errors are common, it the the ones at the time of your blue screens I am interested in though.
Can you also for referance give me an idea of when the last blue screen was?
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
No viruses discovered, just one ugly woman talking about the middle east!
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tutnkmn!! I didn't think the true person would send me a virus..just thought that maybe it was a fake one!! I have an idea that the problems were caused by a loose connector on my USB Adapter..which I have now binned, and replaced with a Linksys..which I have to say is eons better than the DLink model I was using. I think the problems stemmed from the DLink problem.Seems to be OK now, but I am not confident it won't return
Thanks
Nick
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Yea DLink's are NOT my favorite piece of equipment.

I sent you an email... The logs look normal, but I offered a couple more suggestions in the mail.

Randy
PFF
System Bot
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Yea DLink's are NOT my favorite piece of equipment.

I sent you an email... The logs look normal, but I offered a couple more suggestions in the mail.

Randy

D-link belongs in D-trash!
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm..what a way to celebrate 5000 posts..probably an indication of their quality!!
Randy,
I am pretty sure the errors coincide with my faulty connector to the USB Adapter..seem to remember the dog knocked the arial off the table then Happened quite a few times, and seemed to upset the DLink programme
I just restarted in safe mode a while ago, but did nothing..and now it is working ok..but how can I get the System Restore to work again? God, you must be as sick of computer idiots, as I am of ignorant tourists!!
You have a plus from me from many moons ago..wish I could give you another to go with it ..just checked, and it was neutral!! You have a green vote now !!

Nick

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I never tire of helping folks with their computers. It is the only thing I know how to do, and do well
As for how to get system restore to work again... Well that could be a little tricky. It all depends on what is breaking it.
The frist thing I would do is turn system restore OFF.

Reboot it a couple times... Personally I would leave it off for a week jsut to be safe. (I know Microsoft says that time makes no differance, but it REALLY does)
Then turn it back on, and let it build new restore points.

Randy
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tutnkmn:
D-link belongs in D-trash!

especially if you are trying to use one with Xandros
muert0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for muert0Send a Private Message to muert0Direct Link to This Post
I went to a website that is linked from someone's profile on her and I had to use IE to view the site. It made me download optimizer.exe which was listed as a trojan on AVG.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I don't have time to wade thru this. This is what I do when I get such complaints, which is often.

Check the system fan(s). If they aren't spinning up or are full of crap the laptop will shut down from heat. Dell and some other laptop diags have tests for the fans. The diags are all machine specific so Dell won't run on HP etc.

Cleaning the fan(s) on some machines may require tearing the thing apart. Note the (s) twice now. Some laptop machines have more than one fan. You can't assume the fan is clear. Some fans/coolers can look ok but be totally stuffed with crap.

After that... Find a machine with a CD burner.

Get UBCD and burn it. You don't need the full version.

Boot from the CD and Run Memtest 86+ and IBM/hitachi disk test. (The IBM one runs on all drives.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2006 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre, Randy and tutnkmn..in fact all who replied!! I unplugged the machine (it had been running for 7 days nonstop ).Went to work, and came back a while ago.Turned it on, and it became hot again very quickly.Took the back off, and the fans were full of dust, although it didn't look like it from outside (as pointed out before above Thanks!!) Gently blew all the dust away, and now I can't hear the fan, but I can feel a strong airflow.No problems now for 2 hours, and it is still relatively cool.
I LOVE this place!!
Thanks, thanks and thanks again.
Nick
Oh, and to add..I cannot sing praise loud enough about the Linksys USB adapter..works fulltime, no dropouts, and is EXTREMELY fast compared to the old D Link adapter.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
And here is the culprit..sorry about the pic..my camera don't like taking close-ups, even in macro!!

Nick

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock