stupid trade? by mysticfire6602
Started on: 08-17-2006 09:32 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: mysticfire6602 on 08-18-2006 10:30 AM
mysticfire6602

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
would i be stupid to trade my 87 base coupe with a bad motor mount and that likes to eat batteries for an 87 gt with a spun bearing and twice the miles?

------------------
please check out my online stores for some good deals.

my health store
my health & beauty shop
my beauty zone
order a gift

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
A lot depends on what you want to do with it. Persoanlly I would take a GT every time. If you want to put a reconditioned motor or an upgrade in, it is a perfect time to get that car.
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
i agree. but if i do a trade, then i have no money to fix/put in an engine. and i am not allowed to use the same garage i used to remove the engine on my 87 in. i wonder if there are any members that live near me that would donate a garage.

[This message has been edited by mysticfire6602 (edited 08-17-2006).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If you look up 'stupid trades' in the dictionary, there's a picture of Boondawg

If you can't work on the car, yes it's a stupid trade. What would you do, drive the car with a spun bearing?!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
in your opinion whats worth more. an 87 base with 74000 miles, auto, eats batteries or an 87 gt 5 speed, 114000 miles, spun bearing. if i trade then could i possibly sell it for more than 700? im not too good when it come to judging a cars value
FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mysticfire6602:

in your opinion whats worth more. an 87 base with 74000 miles, auto, eats batteries or an 87 gt 5 speed, 114000 miles, spun bearing. if i trade then could i possibly sell it for more than 700? im not too good when it come to judging a cars value

Can't you just find the source of the battery issue? The motor mount is no biggie to replace.
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
i have no clue how to look for the source of the draining battery. for all i know it might just be because i dont drive it alot.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Check the radio. That is a common battery killer. Especially if you have replaced the radio. And yes, not driving it a lot could do it. Alternator not charging enough. Lots of possibilities. None all that expensive.

I suggest that you keep the coupe and fix it. It is an easy fix. Sounds like you are a little tight on money right now. Enjoy the gas mileage your little Duke is giving you.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it's a stupid trade. You're trading a basically driveable, low mileage car for a currently undriveable higher mileage boat anchor. You could fix the things on your b/c in a weekend (or much less.)

Your base coupe is worth at least $600. A GT with a bad motor ain't worth more than $300, because you need to rebuild/replace a motor. (which you can't do because you have no place to work on it.)
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
well if it isnt because i dont drive it, the only thing i can think of would be the bad headlight motor. there is no radio in it so i dont have to worry about that. the motor mount may not be a tough fix, but how can i fix it without the proper tools? and besides the 2 things i said, it also has a a bad headlight motor, idles high, and clicks (which i think may only be sticky lifters, but i cant tell because the exhaust leak overpowers the engine noise when im driving). i am trying to sell it but no one is interested, but i want to keep it and have no money to fix it, and i want a fastback in the worst way. this blows
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Headlight motors in 87-88 are simple. Cost about $6 for the bushing kit. Instructions are available on the forum and it can be done with a wrench to take out the headlight and a screwdriver.

Motor mount requires a floor jack and a couple of wrenchs. If you don't have them and can't borrow them, check with Auto Zone for loaner tools.

High idle is most likely a vaccum leak. Check your vacuum hoses. Could also be a throttle position sensor. Those are available from forum members cheap.

You nailed it on the click. Could be lifters, but could also be just another part of your exhaust leak. Of course, if your exhaust leak is bad enough and has been going long enough, you could be damaging a valve. Exhaust leak could just be loose bolts or you may need a weld repaired. Either way, shouldn't cost much unless your exhaust system is just rusted out and needing replaced.

My advice is drive this one while you save money for a decent fastback. You already said you don't have funds or a place to change an engine.

PFF
System Bot
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
i know the headlights are an easy fix. i would love to borrow parts from autozone, but i dont have $150 for a new motor mount. i replaced all the vacuum lines, and it brought the idle down. when i got it it was at 2000, now its at around 1500 cold, 1200 warm. it really sounds like sticky lifters, but when i bought the car the last owner said she ran it out of oil and spun a bearing. im not sure i believe it though, since i took off the oil pan and saw no signs of damage. im assuming lifters since i dont hear clicking when under acceleration. and the exhaust leak is actually at the section where the pipe meats the cat, so ill just put on putty when i get paid. i also need tires and a new turn signal stalk

i have some stuff for sale if anyone is interested
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Which motor mount do you need? I'm sure someone here on the forum has one laying around that you could get cheap or free.

What are you selling? Start a new thread with your stuff.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

If you look up 'stupid trades' in the dictionary, there's a picture of Boondawg

Ouch!
I would argue that point, but I just can't.
It's probibly just as well.
What would I base it on, mental illness?
Who'd buy that?!

mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
i need the motor mount for a 2.5 with an auto tranny for an 87, which the fierostore lists at $150. and i did start a sell thread a couple weeks ago, but no one was interested. and i posted a WTB thread for the motor mount a bit ago too and only one person responded, but didnt follow up

[This message has been edited by mysticfire6602 (edited 08-17-2006).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
A buddy of mine here in town pulled a 2.5 out of his coupe to put in an LS1. I am going to his house in a bit and I will see if he has a good motor mount.
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
according to GM it HAS to be an 87 or it wont fit. and it HAS to have an auto tranny. im not sure if that is accurate or not. compare his to the pic on the fierostore.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

FRONT ENGINE MOUNT
The Fiero Store carries replacement rubber mounts that meet or exceed OEM specifications Fits: 86-87 4cyl automatic, 88 V-6
Part # 52901 | $149.95

Is this the one? If so, it fits 86 and 87 4 cylinders and 88 V6s. I might even have one laying around myself.
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2006 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
thats it
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2006 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking about stepping up for a new one myself for my 87 since I'm in the process of putting together a fresh 2/5L. The cost of that mount seems a bit ridiculous... but I think last time I checked on it when I did my clutch, it was about $100 from the dealer... might want to check there.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2006 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Ouch!
I would argue that point, but I just can't.
It's probibly just as well.
What would I base it on, mental illness?
Who'd buy that?!

My father in law sings an Elvis song, for seventeen mental reasons.

[This message has been edited by Kekipi (edited 08-18-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2006 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
That mount is supposed to be some kind of hydraulic type noise canceling mount I bought one without all the fancy internal crap that looks identical, fits the same, etc. for about 15% of the price quoted above. Seems to me it was a Cadillac part. I found the part number here on Pennock's. I'll try to find it; I still have the piece sitting on my shelf somewhere, and take a pic of it.
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
really? i have never seen one that isnt hydraulic for my motor. i even went to A&A, advanced auto, and autozone around here and asked for an 87 2.5 motor mount, and they all have the same part number listed, which was a motor mount for an 86, which looks nothing like this one. it pissed me off so much. i also asked is they has one for an 88 since its the same, but it was still the damn 86 one.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Don't always believe Auto Zone and others. Use the Fiero store as your reference. Obviously the 86-87 4-cyl. is the same and the local stores just have it wrong. I had the same thing happen in Florida once when I ordered a dog bone for an 88 coupe. The next day they handed me a V6 mount and I told them that it was wrong. I even showed them on the car but they argued that this is what was in the book and that the one on my car must have been changed. I found another store across town and ordered the correct one.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-18-2006).]

mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2006 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
i literally went to all the local auto parts dealers, had them order the part i told them, and when i looked at them they wernt remotly close to what it looked like

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock