Started on: 08-12-2006 10:39 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: R_Rose2 on 08-13-2006 05:15 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I keep on hearing more stories on dog maulings and more communities around the country are placing bans against the said breed of dogs.

I know people say it's the owner and not the dog, but why are Rotts, Pitts, and Dolfs singled out all the time and the rest are not?

Should people provide proof of obeidence training, should they have to registar? Should owners be forced to turn in their dogs, even if the dog(s) haven't done anything?

Just curious about this debate.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I know people say it's the owner and not the dog, but why are Rotts, Pitts, and Dolfs singled out all the time and the rest are not?

Don't know. I have a German Hunt Terrier that is FAR more vicious than my Rottweiler! She is half the size of a Rott and almost tore my old Rott to shreds.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'm a firm believer in good owners= good pets.

I have seen Pit Bulls that were taken care of, and trained right thought they were lap dogs, and the opposite when they wern't trained right.

It should be like children, you dont have to get a permit to have or keep them, but if you want to keep em, you'd better take care of them.

Brad
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
"violent tendencies" can be bred into any animal.
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

"violent tendencies" can be bred into any animal.

The German Hunt Terrier was developed over the last 100 years to have VERY aggressive hunting instincts. Some breeds, like Rotts and Pits also have these tendancies I think, but a lot depends on the individual dog

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 08-12-2006).]

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
I've seen good dogs from god homes with good people go on a mauling spree ripping a young girls face apart and killing 3 other dogs. Pitts and rotts are breed to kill. thats it nothing more just like Grey hounds and Whippets are breed to run. You don't expect a greyhound to fight of a bear and you dont expect a breed killing machine to run the 1/4 in 20 seconds. Nor do I expect a Cheasepeak retriver to be good herder and a Shelty to duck hunt well. So why do people think a killer will be a good house pet?
muert0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for muert0Send a Private Message to muert0Direct Link to This Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

The American Temperament Test Society, Inc. (ATTS) breed statistics as of December 2005 show an 83.5% passing rate for the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier and a 84.7% passing rate for the Staffordshire bull terrier, as compared to an 81.2% average pass rate for all dog breeds.

I've owned an American Staffordshire terrier for 3 years and I recently had to give him away due to living arrangements. Seventy pound lapdogs will put your legs to sleep in a jiffy. My daughter is four so they were growing up together. She could hug him, climb on him, and practically rip his ears off his head and he wouldn't bat an eye at her. The only time he ever showed any aggresion towards anyone was when they pretended like they were going to hit my ex.

Now you have people who have never interacted with pittbulls and only stand back and see a select few dogs that are mistreated and there for aggressive and call them out for genocide.
R_Rose2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R_Rose2Send a Private Message to R_Rose2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

I've seen good dogs from god homes with good people go on a mauling spree ripping a young girls face apart and killing 3 other dogs. Pitts and rotts are breed to kill. thats it nothing more just like Grey hounds and Whippets are breed to run. You don't expect a greyhound to fight of a bear and you dont expect a breed killing machine to run the 1/4 in 20 seconds. Nor do I expect a Cheasepeak retriver to be good herder and a Shelty to duck hunt well. So why do people think a killer will be a good house pet?

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers can be nasty dogs too.

I have 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers. In England (where they originated from) they are nicknamed the "Nanny dog" because they are so good with children. They are one of the most popular breeds to have as a pet over there. My dogs are so sweet around everyone! They don't care who you are..they will just lick you to death!

Any dog can bite you. It seems that only those "bull breeds" or Shepherds, Rottweilers, etc make the news when they bite someone. I've been bit by more little fluffy dogs ( I have scars to prove it) than by those breeds that people consider vicious. A friend of mine had her face nearly ripped off by a Golden Retriever. Good dogs come from good owners who properly train their dogs.

I've known dogs to go after little children because they were never properly introduced, raised, or they were teased by children (either the kids that they live with or neighbor kids) ...therefore they do not like them.

Yes, there are some breeds which can have bad temperments. If the owner properly corrects the dog whenever it exhibits bad behavior, than there shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes even "good" owners do not properly correct a dog.

Just so I'm clear (because I've had people attack me on a forum before)...

I AM JUST EXPRESSING MY OPINION ON THE SUBJECT.
------------------
In the Garage: 86 Pontiac Fiero SE
92 Subaru SVX LS-L
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, T-Top

[This message has been edited by R_Rose2 (edited 08-13-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave