Started on: 08-08-2006 04:29 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-08-2006 10:02 AM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

UMMMM, where to begin.....hehe...... Has anyone hacked the ECM and disabled ABS on C5 vette's, and along with length of time in running, is it reliable? Still??

What about the C4 vettes? What years came without the ABS? What years came with ABS, and this is a dumb question, but I gotz to know, what years are the ideal suspensions on C4's... I am guessing that the latest C4 is obviously better than say an 84, but how much better? Anyone know the lug nut pattern, on C4's and 5's....

Lastly, I know that new or salvaged parts from a C5 would cost more than C4 parts, but if you were gonna replace a kitcar's ford suspension with GM, (vette of course, hehe), what year would you pick?? If money were no problem, sure the C5 would be the way to go, if you could bypass the ABS..
It's just that while I don't have any budget plans for this yet, it is a future mod, pending the sale of the car....

I know this topic comes up once and awhile, but let's say you put C5 susp, and brakes on a 1900 pound kitcar, how would the ABS and brakes workout......?? What about C4 ABS on this light of a car?? Yes, I must have pwr brakes, and yes, I really would like ABS.... LOL, with this light of a car, driving in the rain would be a PITA!! Could you imagine.....

NOTE: While I cannot think of anything else to say right now, I would like to reserve the right to ask further questions as they may/not arise....Please...

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Roddy,
I think I'd ask these questions on a Corvette forum, there maybe some folks on here that know but you'd increase response probability by going somewhere with specific expertise on the vehicle you're asking about. If I knew, I'd tell you, just limited experience with Vettes.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
All bolt patterns are same as chevy, 4 3/4 I think. Offsets vary though quite a bit. C4 first ABS was 86, better system came out in 88. 86 could be disabled by pulling a fuse, later have to remove a wheel sensor to disable it. 88 regular brakes have to be running thru ABS module in order to work, even if disabled/ My module went out and brakes would not work properly at all. Module is no longer made and if you find NOS, its almost $2,000. Ask why I know.... I also think that C4 ABS is WAYYY to sensitive as you get lockup/release at far too easy pedal pressure. Ive been unable to stop on a wet floor just coming into garage and bumped wal on occasionl. GM dealers say system is working 100%. I cant help you with C5. Havent owned one or driven one for any length of time.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

All bolt patterns are same as chevy, 4 3/4 I think. Offsets vary though quite a bit. C4 first ABS was 86, better system came out in 88. 86 could be disabled by pulling a fuse, later have to remove a wheel sensor to disable it. 88 regular brakes have to be running thru ABS module in order to work, even if disabled/ My module went out and brakes would not work properly at all. Module is no longer made and if you find NOS, its almost $2,000. Ask why I know.... I also think that C4 ABS is WAYYY to sensitive as you get lockup/release at far too easy pedal pressure. Ive been unable to stop on a wet floor just coming into garage and bumped wal on occasionl. GM dealers say system is working 100%. I cant help you with C5. Havent owned one or driven one for any length of time.

Hi all,

Roger, do you go to any vette forums? Which would be your preferred forum? By preferred I am talking about friendliness, good tech support, those kinda things......

edit: Are you sure that the pattern is 4 3/4's? Wait a sec, do you mean 5 x 4 3/4? Kinda lost on that one... Is the newer than 88 C4 ABS better than the one you have? In case you had driven any....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

[This message has been edited by pavo_roddy (edited 08-08-2006).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im guessing the 88 style stayed until C5. While it is better than the junk in my 86, its not by much. Im in www.corvetteforum.com as 86targa, but not there much. My real vette club is pretty active so that keeps me pretty busy in the vette department. Our website is http://www.crossflags.net

Personally, I dont like any ABS. I was a semi professional racer and know how to drive without it...but thats just me. I really wish manufacturers would make it an option myself. Its one that Id never pick on my option list when buying. Mopar has this thing they call ESP thats a stability program to help you keep control when a wheel slips. It applies brake to the outside wheels when it detects a skid. It has a switch, but it only partially disables it. We did some improptu tests last summer on some backroads. Our slowest times were with the system totally active, with the switch on 'off' we could get it loose and make it thru faster. With the fuse on the system pulled, we picked up a lot of time in corners and came up with far faster times. Now for the normal driver or soccer mom, its probably a good thing since we know about 1/2 of todays drivers dont really know how to drive in the first place, lol. If your considering adding a system, id suggest you find someone with a vette with the system your wanting and trying it out if you can talk them into it. Theres been a lot of threads here on ABS in general if you do a search. Seems theres no middle ground, you either love it or hate it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-08-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock