Started on: 08-07-2006 09:34 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Monkeyman on 09-06-2006 11:21 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
My doctor just switched some of my insulin from Humulin N to Lantus. Now I have 2 unopened bottles of Humulin N that I'll never use. If there are any diabetics that use Humulin N, feel free to come pick them up. Maybe someone knows of a needy family that could use this? I obviously can't ship the insulin.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
My cat uses Humulin N but he gets 3 month out of a bottle and for the $25 is ain't worth the drive
banditbalz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
I use Humiluin L, U, R, N and Humalog. It's quite the cocktail. But, like Phil said, it's so cheap, it's not really worth the drive or price to ship it. Hopefully, somebody close by can take advantage of this...

------------------
got boost? L67 in progress...

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Phil----I'm very sorry for your cat.

banditbalz----That's an awful lot of different insulins. You might suggest to your doctor that he/she just puts you on R and Lantus. Lantus seems to be the new thing going around. Remind me in a few weeks and I'll tell you how well it's working.

to all----I realize that insulin (at least Humulin N) is fairly cheap. I was just hoping I could help someone out.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2006 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman, you already did . To think of others in that way, is heartwarming.Even if to no avail, your kindness deserves comment. Bless you
Nick

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Phil----I'm very sorry for your cat.

banditbalz----That's an awful lot of different insulins. You might suggest to your doctor that he/she just puts you on R and Lantus. Lantus seems to be the new thing going around. Remind me in a few weeks and I'll tell you how well it's working.

to all----I realize that insulin (at least Humulin N) is fairly cheap. I was just hoping I could help someone out.

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
you can ship it, how do you think it got from the mfgr. to you?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
It probably came by truck along with alot of other meds. I know it's technically possible to ship it but it would be cost prohibitive. The insulin is fairly cheap. I'm not even sure the post office would allow it, though. I'm just trying to help somebody out, that's all.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

My doctor just switched some of my insulin from Humulin N to Lantus. Now I have 2 unopened bottles of Humulin N that I'll never use. If there are any diabetics that use Humulin N, feel free to come pick them up. Maybe someone knows of a needy family that could use this? I obviously can't ship the insulin.

Probably your best bet is to check with the local health dept. or the local humane society (I didn't know that cats used it)--the animal shelter might be able to use a supply of insulin. If there's a rescue mission (homeless shelter) they might be able to point you in the right direction for giving it away.

I gave you a plus for thinking of others. . .
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Great idea! I hadn't thought of that. As far as I know, there aren't any homeless shelters around here but there should be an animal pound somewhere. On to the yellow pages.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Anyone need some insulin???

I'll let you know after I choke down this box of Twinkies
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Well, that didn't pan out. I called the local sheriffs dept, the state police, the dog catcher and the local hospital. Apparently, we have no homeless shelters for either pets or real humans and the hospital said that they aren't allowed to take it. I guess I'll try to keep this near the top until the insulin expires. If nobody needs it by then, I'll throw it out.
PFF
System Bot
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Well, that didn't pan out. I called the local sheriffs dept, the state police, the dog catcher and the local hospital. Apparently, we have no homeless shelters for either pets or real humans and the hospital said that they aren't allowed to take it. I guess I'll try to keep this near the top until the insulin expires. If nobody needs it by then, I'll throw it out.

Well, I know there's a limit to how much you want to do. But in the morning, you might try calling a few vet's offices. There's probably a PAWS chapter or some cat rescue group in the area--or a vet might know someone who's having a hard time and has a diabetic cat.

Tell the Vet's office that you're a type 1 and your doc has changed your insulin. I think it's probably against the law to pass it on for human consumption, but shouldn't be a problem for animal use--especially if it's all sealed up.

I know, it isn't that much insulin, but as you say, it would be a shame to toss it if someone can use it.

[This message has been edited by Brian Lamberts (edited 08-08-2006).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow.
gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
Props to you from me too for trying to get the insulin to someone who can use it. I agree that pet shelters would probably appreciate it. I have a similar situation with some Actos. Since going on Lantus 3 1/2 yrs. ago, my blood sugar has been in much better control, but my weight has really gone up from an already 10 over to 30 over and nothing I do affects it. We've tried everything that I know of to date including adding Actos to the mix of Novolog (fast), Lantus (slow), and Glucophage to see if I could lower the amount of insulin required and therefore the weight. Within about 2 wks. my feel swelled to the size of footballs, so we discontinued the Actos and now I have a whole bottle of 100 or more Actos tabs and am looking for someone that can use those. Most of this stuff is expensive (I pay $15-20 at an HMO depending on if it's generic or brand name) and I hate to just flush it. I also have a full, unopened bottle of Symlin in my frig that did not work for me either. I'm going to read up on it some more and see if I missed something and check the user blogs now that it's been out awhile. Was going to write Formula88 since he has reported good luck w/it.

Good luck to you finding a home for your insulin and best of luck with the Lantus.

JC
goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 08-10-2006).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I found someone who's dog is on insulin. I gave her the insulin the other day. Poor dog.
FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
Why do you think you cant ship insulan? My grandma and mom both get it by usps mail every 3 months. Its cheeper for them to get it by mail. Neither one uses that brand though or I'd take it. Maybe try some nursing homes or the department of health and human resorces adult protective services.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
It wasn't that I couldn't ship it, it was just that the insulin is so cheap, shipping would be cost prohibitive. Basically, for little more than the shipping cost, they could probably buy it at their local pharmacy.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock