Started on: 08-06-2006 10:10 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Amethyst on 08-07-2006 04:41 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Me and the spouse are working on starting a family. I have heard about the dangers of cats with pregnant women and infants. Something about a chemical in cat litter and also something about cat saliva.

I have an indoor cat that is a bit touchy feelee type. Likes to slip on us or beside us and is always around and follows us everywhere.

What do I need to do and what should I know?

Many thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Wichita,
For this one I think you really need to ask the people over at "Cat Fancy" magazine, or Purina Pet Foods or Waldons. They would be experts in how to keep the cat and the family happy and safe. As for me, the history I have had with cats and newborns was to keep the kitty at a distance at first, they slowly introduce kitty to the baby and not let the cat "smother" the child. When it comes to "rest time" for the baby, make sure the cat is not in the room, and shut the door. Use a baby monitor to check on the child if they [baby] is in another room. Have ANYONE who cleans the cat pan WASH HANDS GOOD before handling baby. Cat poo is rife with germs that may be harmful to the baby. As for Cat spit, consult the vet. GOOD LUCK!!
S. Williams
Currently Catless.

As for Cat Litter, use the natural type, not the "pretty sented stuff" less chances of harmful chemicals. BUT if hands are washed, chemicals in cat litter should NOT be a factor. You may even consider one of the motorized cat cleaning pans, or wear the medical gloves.
------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 08-06-2006).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
You need to pick the kitty litter box while she is pregnant.

That is because toxoplasmosis. I believe that's the spelling.

As long as it’s an indoor cat, that’s about it.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
"cat scratch fever"
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
A cat will suck the life out of a baby out of jealousy!!

You'd be surprised how many people believe that. Probably the same people who believe a fan left running in a bedroom will make the sleepers freeze to death
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
We have 2 kids and 6 cats, you need to do the boxes

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jax184:

You'd be surprised how many people believe that. Probably the same people who believe a fan left running in a bedroom will make the sleepers freeze to death

That was the first thing I thought of also, I remember hearing that in reality a cat would likely curl up on the baby because the baby was warm and the weight of the cat would suffocate the baby.

Sorry for being morbid.

Good luck on the knocking up part, practice, practice, practice.

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 08-06-2006).]

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
i have a new born and a cat. the babys been sleeping in a bassent (spelling) thats at he end of the dresser the cats food is on top that dresser never once has my cat tried to get in the bassent. i think that crap about the cat suffacting the baby is just an old wise tail.
JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post
It's not that it is exactly a wifes tale, but cats DO NOT suffocate a baby out of jealousy or just to do it.
Some will say that a cat will merely try to lick the milk from the babies lips, then lay down to sleep.....thus suffocating the baby.
Most cats do not sleep where they eat.
Is the suffocation thing possible? Yes.
Probable. No
There have always been cats in our family, and personally, my cats never wanted to be bothered with babies.
They preferred to stay as far away as possible.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
I could see a cat trying to sit on a baby and suffocating it. But not because of jealousy or anything like that, just because the cat is used to sleeping on human's laps. The fact that its a very small human probably doesn't change the cat's mind. I'd keep them separate just to prevent any accidents from happening.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You need to train the baby to use the kittys litter box till its walking..................lol
PFF
System Bot
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jax184:

Laugh... you guys have never seen Catseye with Drew Barrymore?? It's not the cats that are doing that... it's those evil little trolls!!

Well I've had babies (2) and cats (7 inside at the moment) and never had a problem with the cats being in the babies cradle or crib empty or occupied... now if the baby was crying, I've had the cat come and get me and wait impatiently for me to take care of the baby!! Same cat has also walked my daughter to and from school (across the street) the entire time she went to that school... my daughter is now 21, the cat is now 22... bless her, she's been a good cat!

On the topic of cat litter... it is true, pregnant women should not handle cat feces in any way shape or form... but could probably just empty the cat box without touching anything while using gloves... Anybody else should be sure and wash their hands...

It just come down to common sense... whether it's animals, hygiene, exercise or food.... don't do anything that's questionable...

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock