World War One Uniform Question. by Berlin
Started on: 08-02-2006 05:22 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 87GT_97114 on 08-03-2006 08:47 PM
Berlin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlinSend a Private Message to BerlinDirect Link to This Post
Hello all I was hopeing someone on the board knows a little about WW1 uniforms. I just picked one up and was wondering were this patch would go on the uniform.

Also on his ribbon it has a bronze star, what would this signify on a Victory Medal?

Here is a picture for just looking. He is the gent behind the gun.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I know zip about military insignia but here is an interesting web site:

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~worldwarone/WWI/Uniforms/index.html
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
The circle "A" [cloth insignia on right] is a unit insignia. "Its for the 1st Army" They usually go on the left shoulder about a half inch down from the top, centered.
The one on the left [the one that isnt cloth], I havent a clue. so perhaps its a unit insignia worn on civilian clothing at Veterans events.
S.Williams
(In the Army....)

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 08-02-2006).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

htexans1

9110 posts
Member since Sep 2001
The bronze star on the Victory medal is Bronze clasps, 1/8-inch by 1-1/2 inches, with the names of the thirteen campaigns of the US Army during the First World War and one titled "Defensive Sector", worn on the suspension ribbon of the Victory Medal. These are distinguished from Service Clasps by the star at each end of the inscription. A bronze Service Star is worn on the service ribbon of the Victory Medal in lieu of the clasp.
Battle Clasps denote actual participation in or direct support of troops involved in each campaign. The inclusive dates of each campaign period can be found at the entry for... [taken from]
http://www2.powercom.net/~rokats/appurts.html

Either way, if that man is still alive, have him tape his war stories and submit them to the Smithsonian!
Tell him thanks for his service from me, a "modern era" veteran.

------------------

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 08-02-2006).]

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
The "bronze service star" denotes more than one campagn. or a second occurance of the medal the ribbon identifies.

The patch is 3rd Army, The button looks like some type of commemrative. WWI obviously.

[This message has been edited by Wolfhound (edited 08-02-2006).]

Berlin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlinSend a Private Message to BerlinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:
Either way, if that man is still alive, have him tape his war stories and submit them to the Smithsonian!
Tell him thanks for his service from me, a "modern era" veteran.

He died in 1936 actually. Thanks for the help guys. The guys name was Christ Fred Korth he was a Pvt in CO "A" 12th Machine Gun Corps Forth Division, it came with his discharge paper dog tags and a ton of other stuff like that patch and button. Thats what I thought the A was, for Company "A." So the A must just be something he picked up seeing as how its the Third Army patch, or is it possible he served in both the Third Army and the Fourth Division?

Here is a picture of the IV Division patch that is on the uniform.

87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
Cool, I was with the 4th division, 4th engineer battallion, Anh Khe, '70/71. The 4th is the unit that caught 'ol Sadam, that's my boys! The unit patch is a lot more drab nowadays.
If I remember right, your overseas unit patch was on your left arm, your present unit on the right, I may be confused though, it's late. The uniform you have is his stateside uniform if that's the case.

------------------

'87 GT, daily driver
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'84 F250 Xcab, BIG parts runner
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

[This message has been edited by 87GT_97114 (edited 08-03-2006).]

Berlin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlinSend a Private Message to BerlinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT_97114:

Cool, I was with the 4th division, 4th engineer battallion, Anh Khe, '70/71. The 4th is the unit that caught 'ol Sadam, that's my boys! The unit patch is a lot more drab nowadays.
If I remember right, your overseas unit patch was on your left arm, your present unit on the right, I may be confused though, it's late. The uniform you have is his stateside uniform if that's the case.

The 4th Division patch is on the left. I hope to get a uniform from every era with a Fourth Division patch on it.
Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
The 4th Division's 3rd Brigade was based at Tay Nhin 67-68 and became part of the 25th Division through some kind of swap. I think it had something to do with spreading out DEROS dates for the two Divisions.
There was also an internal swap inside the 25th after that. We had several guys who had been in the 4th in A Co. 1/27th Wolfhounds. 1/27th is part of Stryker now. This was Third Corp opperations Northwest of Siagon.
I remember the Ivy patch well.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Your unit of assignment is on the left (the unit you are currently in)
Combat unit patches are worn on the right side (units of assignment while in a combat zone.)
S. Williams

------------------

htexans1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

htexans1

9110 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Berlin:

..., it came with his discharge paper dog tags and a ton of other stuff like that patch and button. Thats what I thought the A was, for Company "A." So the A must just be something he picked up seeing as how its the Third Army patch, or is it possible he served in both the Third Army and the Fourth Division?

Here is a picture of the IV Division patch that is on the uniform.

Third Army is the group he was manuvering in the combat zone with. An "numbered Army" is made up of at least two divisions. Thus he served in the "3rd Army" and assigned to the 4th Division.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Berlin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlinSend a Private Message to BerlinDirect Link to This Post

Third Army is the group he was manuvering in the combat zone with. An "numbered Army" is made up of at least two divisions. Thus he served in the "3rd Army" and assigned to the 4th Division.

Alrighty thanks for this information. +'s for everyone.

[This message has been edited by Berlin (edited 08-03-2006).]

87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post

Your unit of assignment is on the left (the unit you are currently in)
Combat unit patches are worn on the right side (units of assignment while in a combat zone.)
S. Williams

It was 35 years ago. Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock