Started on: 08-02-2006 01:36 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Wolfhound on 08-02-2006 07:12 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I believe Sgt. Wuterich has a good case. Though under investigation, he has not been found guilty and Congressman Murtha's statement is inflamatory and puts pressure any any jurist to go along. I do believe that a court martial board will be fair. I can see where any conviction could be challenged. Sometimes you just gotta keep your mouth shut Congressionman. Opinions don't count in situations like this.

Here's the link for those that want to read it: http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/marine-in-haditha-case-accuses-lawmaker/20060802032309990001

Updated: 12:25 PM EDT
Marine in Haditha Case Accuses Lawmaker of Defamation

WASHINGTON (Aug. 1) - A Marine Corps sergeant under investigation in connection with the deaths of 24 Iraqi civilians in Haditha is accusing Rep. John P. Murtha of defaming him in public comments about the case.
Lawyers for Frank D. Wuterich, 26, argue in a suit to be filed Wednesday in federal court that Murtha falsely accused Wuterich "of cold-blooded murder and war crimes."
The suit maintains that Pentagon officials "who have briefed or leaked information to Mr. Murtha deliberately provided him with inaccurate and false information" and that the congressman subsequently "has made repeated statements .... that are defamatory" to Wuterich and his fellow Marines.
The suit accuses Murtha of spreading "false and malicious lies" about Wuterich and his squad that were "intended to serve his own private purpose and interests" and that Murtha's comments "have been reproduced by countless third parties throughout the world."
It says many of Murtha's remarks were made outside his "scope of employment as a congressman." Murtha, a former Marine, has been a leading proponent of withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq.
The planned court filing was first reported late Tuesday on The Washington Post's Internet site.
Wuterich's lawyers, Neal A. Puckett and Mark S. Zaid, subsequently provided a copy of the suit to The Associated Press early Wednesday and announced plans for a news conference outside the courthouse where they planned to file the suit.
The claim for libel and invasion of privacy seeks damages to be determined, but not less than $75,000.
"This case is not about money; it's about clearing Frank Wuterich's name, and part of that is to identify where these leaks are coming from," Zaid told the Post. "Congressman Murtha has created this atmosphere that has already concluded guilt. He's created this environment that really smells, and he's the only one who has done that."

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
If they were false and malicious then how do you explain this.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/02/haditha.probe.ap/index.html

Source: Evidence suggests Marines deliberately killed civilians

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Evidence collected on the deaths of 24 Iraqis in Haditha supports accusations that U.S. Marines deliberately shot the civilians, including unarmed women and children, a Pentagon official said Wednesday.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/15179611.htm

Soldier says comrades threatened him

TIKRIT, Iraq - A U.S. soldier testified Wednesday that four of his colleagues accused of murdering three Iraqis during a raid threatened to kill him if he told anyone about the shooting deaths.

Pfc. Bradley Mason, speaking at a hearing to determine whether the four must stand trial, also said that their brigade commander, a veteran of the 1993 "Black Hawk Down" battle in Somalia, told troops hunting insurgents to "kill all of them." Mason is not one of the accused.

The alleged killings May 9 near Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad, have dealt another blow to the reputation of U.S. soldiers over their conduct in Iraq and fueled anger against their presence.

U.S. soldiers and Marines have been accused of a string of civilian deaths in Iraq, including the alleged massacre of dozens in Haditha. Another hearing is scheduled later this month over allegations that five U.S. soldiers raped and killed a 14-year-old girl.

Something tells me that soldier will lose this case. Jack Murtha is very tight with the military, there is no way he was misled. It's obvious the military wanted to get things moving on these cases.

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 08-02-2006).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I don't need to explain any thing, what needs explaining is why the Congressman feels he can make public accusations against someone that has yet to be convicted especially when he is so tight with the military. Military justice is always under scrutiny by the press and congress and the people. Though you and I may have opinions on many things, we don't get to vote on military budgets or who makes general, congress does .

I have no real idea as to the Sgt's guilt or innocence, but if I was in the Chain of Command, I'd definately keep my mouth shut. Congress can definately affect many things in the military. The Congressman knows this, I wonder about his motive. This is not a Demoncrat or Republican issue in my mind, but it does carry significant importance.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Murtha never mentioned this guys name, He has no beef.
A crime like this has to be exposed.
Acts like this negates the good work our guys do, and exposes our them to additional danger by justifying attacks against them.
These guy might as well have set up a recruiting booth for the enemy.
One person in the Squad had enough moral character to come forward even though his life had been threatened.
Murtha is right to expose them, no mater how much the right wing thugs attack him.
I have a feeling this suit comes from somewhere other than this Sgt.
I guess the Republicans next step is to break out the swift boat nuts.

[This message has been edited by Wolfhound (edited 08-02-2006).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I can see that political ideaologies are going to get in the way of justice in this.
Should the good Sgt be charged and convicted, I agree he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Though the good Congressman may not have used his name, he most certainly is directly referred to. I'd just like to see a fair investigation and trial for the accused, if they are ever charged and not some politically expedient lynching or freeing of the accused. I'm not suggesting these acts don't put us in a bad light, they damn well should, those soldiers, sailors and marines serving abroad represent us with every action they take. We need to remember that even as civilians when traveling abroad.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 08-02-2006).]

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, Blackrams

These things happen in all wars, but they are especially bad when civilians are involved.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock