Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Hmm, ever wonder why liberals like referencing Wikipedia so much?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Hmm, ever wonder why liberals like referencing Wikipedia so much? by Toddster
Started on: 07-28-2006 01:38 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Toddster on 07-29-2006 12:33 PM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Aren't those mentioned all Democrats?
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Aren't those mentioned all Democrats?

Almost, to be fair, Norm Coleman WAS a Democrat, but switched to the Republican Party. Maybe it was his association with the DNC he was trying to remove from his resume'
NEPTUNE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm. Some people might think I'M a liberal.
I can't recall quoting Wikipedia in a political thread. In fact its pretty rare here.
But who cares. Enjoy your circle jerk.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

I can't recall quoting Wikipedia in a political thread. In fact its pretty rare here.

So if Dems are caught, it's a circle jerk? Or is that what they were doing?
Besides, you'd be surprised how many people here use Wiki as their only information source.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Were you mentioned by name in this thread?

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
I frequently refer to Wikipedia as a starting point. I suspect that it has about as many inaccuracies as most any source. All sources reflect the biases of their authors. And all authors are biased.

And, of course, any citation is open to debate. If someone disagrees with a Wikipedia article, they can always cite an article from some other source to refute it.

Note - I am not saying I am a liberal. Nor am I saying I am a conservative. I am defending Wikipedia as a good resource, not necessarily a great one, nor an unbiased one.

I have no love for politicians of any party. Nothing in the referenced article surprises me.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Wikipedia Celebrates 750 Years of American Independance

Yes, it's the Onion.
Yes, I know it's satire.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cccharlie:

I frequently refer to Wikipedia as a starting point.

Ditto, but I always confirm with other sources before using anything and then I NEVER post a wikipedia link. Credibility, meet window. The bottom line is that with almost zero oversight, it is just a propaganda machine.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Someone referencing potentially wrong or biased sources in political debates? Say it isn't so!

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Ditto, but I always confirm with other sources before using anything and then I NEVER post a wikipedia link. Credibility, meet window. The bottom line is that with almost zero oversight, it is just a propaganda machine.

Republican talking points are so much more credible.... Or maybe it's the lists from forwarded emails, or the 'news' stories pointing out the conspiracy in a story about Katie Coric not mentioning Dan Rather... or the one about how no one is writing about a soldier being found not guilty when the military hadn't decided that yet. Those are soooooo much more credible than editable listings that warn you if they are of a political nature. And how likely is it that a false story from a talking points list is going to get a retraction? Not likely... And I've noticed that the same false stories get dredged up over and over as fact once again once people figure everyone has forgotten. At least on Wikipedia the listing can get corrected and I believe there are ways to lock it down if someone is caught falsifying a listing.

The same goes for some of the wackos on the other side of the aisle, but they are the minority now so it's easier to out them, the republican side isn't about to out one of their own or one of their supporters on the net or cable tv.
PFF
System Bot
under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
To answer the original question...........Liberls like referincing wilkapedia (or anthy thing else handy) for 2 reasons.

#1--they are too stupid to think for themselvelves.

#2-They are embaresed by the concept that they may have actual brain activity, and refuse to accept responsability for thier own thoughts and therefore try to pass on responsability by reference. Somewhere in that putrid mass of jelly they call a brain, it occurs to them if they can provide a reference, they are absolved of all responsability since the original idea was the reference they provided,

On the bright side--liberals are much like fleas on a cat...........annoying, but nothing that cant be gotten rid of.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by under8ted:
On the bright side--liberals are much like fleas on a cat...........annoying, but nothing that cant be gotten rid of.

LOL

One more thing...fleas are more useful.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

LOL

One more thing...fleas are more useful.

They are certainly less irritating!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock