Started on: 07-13-2006 12:17 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Gary W on 07-14-2006 08:21 AM
Tinton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
I started up my laptop today to get that asinine message. Apparently microsoft had some update released yesterday that validates your copy of windows (again), and for some reason it failed the test. The copy of windows that they're talking about not being "genuine" CAME with the computer when I bought it brand-new from Toshiba. My little security key is a sticker pasted on the underside of the laptop. How do I fix this problem? I'm sure as hell not buying another license from microsoft when this one should be good! At their little website they give you to help you fix your problem it seems like their only solution is to buy another license.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My laptop has never come up with that. Its 5 or 6 years old with XP.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
it should have given a phone number, call that, tell them the story, they'll give you numbers to enter, and away you go.
this should be part of the windows activation process. if its anything else, it maybe some form of spyware/virus.
Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Activation process? I had to rebuild the computer about 1 month ago (re-install windows from the CD Toshiba gave me) and it activated fine then. You say a virus might cause it now?
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
One of the recent updates was that "genuine" thing. It's basically a "new" way MS is trying to validate your software...

As P-meister said above, a phonecall should clear it up. Especially if you have your valid serial (which SHOULD be on the bottom of yer laptop, and/or on the Cd label...

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
did you buy an open box? I was working on a laptop for a guy at the university and he told me that when he reinstalled he wanted media center so he went to bestbuy and took a picture of the little windows sitcker to use the key to activate a copy he "borrowed". Someone could be using your copy and may have activated it before you did.

call micro or toshiba. they should be able to fix it with little hassle.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I had a problem like that once a while ago and gave them a call. I was pleasantly suprised that I was able to get through, and that they took care of my problem without a hassle.
cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
You may also check into removing the pilot version of WGA and see if it helps. I don't know if it will, but I removed the pilot version on my puter anyway. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
This is going to sound bad, but.... System Restore will fix it.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
seeing no good from this so called up date
I just refused to let it load
will I now miss anything important??

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I heard MS is going to discontinue the windows genuine crap, in light of the controversy and lawsuits...
PFF
System Bot
Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
I bet this is a hot topic in China.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

seeing no good from this so called up date
I just refused to let it load

Me too.

Our PC notified us that updates were avalible; so I checked out what updates it wanted to download/install. I seen that, and told it not to download/install it. (I NEVER have my PC set up to download updates from Micro$uck without me being able to at least see what they're wanting to install).
Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Well it ummm....disappeared. It was usually constantly annoying me with "Your copy is not genuine!" like a little thing would show up at login screen and a little thing would hang around the taskbar. Did it fix itself?

I know for a fact that my copy is genuine, and it is only my copy. The little sticker is on the bottom of the computer, it was not a boxed version of XP Media center. The only way I could see someone else registering with my key would be if they got it randomly, or else maybe they managed to get my key while this thing was a display model at Comp USA 2 years ago.
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Windows 2000 Forever!
This serial number has been used by literally hundreds of people on hundreds of computers, and it passes the microsoft validation...
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
I'm running a corporate version of XP on a laptop and when I went to microsoft update it said my version was not genuine and would not load.
I found another site that updates XP and it had no problem. Cant recall the site at the moment.
I hear these corp versions are rare.

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
Corporate versions (VLK's) are not rare.

LEGAL VLK's in the hands of individuals are rare. Most of the cracks out there have VLK licence numbers, so they're picked up by the WGA program as a pirate copy. It seems that most of the problems have come up because of people taking their PC in for repair somewhere, and the tech slaps a "bench copy" of Windows on their box. And of course those reputable system vendors at the computer shows and their pre-loaded systems.

Then there are those incredible Ebay deals, etc. Not to mention those that know full well that theirs is a copy.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock