Started on: 07-11-2006 11:11 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: FieroRumor on 07-13-2006 10:37 AM
lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i'm a big fan of cheap software, and regularly scan the $9.99 bargain bin at the Evil Empire (wal-mart) for cheap games that can run on my ancient low-end computer.

naturally, ive had mixed results, and your mileage may vary.

Pool of Radiance, FRPG - you lead a party of the usual demihumans and root out evil with swords and magics. poor. where were the playtesters? careful adherence to AD&D rules results in a nearly unplayable game. up ahead you see orcs! you direct your meat shields (on their turn) to advance and attack, while your rangers and mages hang back. your fighters run right past the bad guys, which fall on your mages and rangers. graphics are good, and the storyline too, but has anyone actually bothered to finish it?

Conflict Desert Storm, FPS - you lead a SpecOps team and root out evil iraqis with m16s and sniper rifles. good. modern weapon tech, drivable vehicles, zoomable 1st/3rd person perspective, superb graphics for my low-end card, very playable, lots of varied scenarios let you play to your strengths.

SWAT, um, 4?, FPS - you lead a swat team and root out evil drug dealers and gun-runners with guns and flashbangs. bad, probably my fault. died dozens of times at first contact, usually didnt even see what got me. i gave up. pretty, but who wants to die prettily again and again and again and....

Dungeon Siege, FRPG - you lead (or go solo) demihumans to root out the evil demon gom with swords and magics. very good. spectacular graphics, very easy interface, good storyline and music. actually tried this one as a multiplayer on the lan, still fun.

Marine Sharpshooter. FPS - lead your spotter and root out evil terrorists with your sniper rifle, duh. meh. requires a scroll mouse to use the scope, got shelved. looked ok, may get back to it.

Black Hawk Down. FPS - lead your squad and root out evil somali militia with 50 caliber machine guns, m16s, satchel charges, AT4s. very good. interface is usable, music good, graphics good, lots of varied scenarios. you cant drive the humvees or choppers but you can shoot the miniguns, and die in them. awesome weapon that it is, i would not want to man a 50 cal from the top of a humvee. i want both feet on the ground, and my squad covering my back. the bad guys shoot at you from behind trees, windows, rooftops, speeding pickups. im getting killed regularly, but something keeps me coming back for more. and i'm learning. move slow, use cover, dont waste ammo, see ahead and live. charge ahead and you die.

what's your cheap thrill?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

what's your cheap thrill?

Soul Reaver. There's just something SO satisfying about impaling some nasty lookin' critter, then suckin' down their soul... and if you die... (doesn't matter much, you're ALREADY DEAD)

Undying. Very "different" FPS. Pretty scary in parts...

"Alice". Nice and trippy.

"Aliens vs Predator I and II" Just fun to go hunting...

any Matrix game - go slow and kick some butt...

Adventure (Atarii 2600) I just LOVE running away (and eventually slaying) that freakin' "duck"...

Rim Chicken (old 957 Blackberry) like frogger, only so much more graphicly challenged. Quite addicting.

Alone in the Dark. Just so much fun.

Another World. Just such a neat game.

Pooyan. Kill the wolves!

Hmmm... not gonna list all the retro stuff I like.. I'd be here while...
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Oooh, Undying - What a helluva game. Others to keep an eye out for are Fallout 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment. These three games are probably three of the best RPG games of all time.

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 07-12-2006).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I call it the Dump Stack. Not only cheap software but there are some good DVD movies in the the dump stack as well.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Here's a list of some of my favorite cheap games for the PC. (Click the link for a review).

These games should work just fine if your PC is slow, or if you're using onboard (integrated) video:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Diablo
Diablo 2

These next games will require a (slightly) faster PC, and a video card is recommended:
Carmageddon 2
Crazy Taxi
Hydro Thunder (Review is for the Dreamcast version, but is avalible for the PC).
Metal Gear Solid

This last set of games will still run on a slower PC, but you'll need a video card to run these:
Farcry
Halo
Once Upon a Knight

And since we're on the subject of cheap PC games, you just can't beat free games that you can download (legally). These are full versions, and not trial versions or shareware.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=txt

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Deabionni (edited 07-13-2006).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

Oooh, Undying - What a helluva game. Others to keep an eye out for are Fallout 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment. These three games are probably three of the best RPG games of all time.

I Loved the "Loooooook"..."Scryeeeeeeeee" whispering stuff. Also, they put in some very neat, subtley-scary creepy scenes in there, like when you are wandering around, through the vally, and those creatures are running on either side of you, you see "hints" of them, evey now and then...

There were a few cenes in "Nocturne" that were like that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock