Anyone from Calgary, Alberta? by rmphoto
Started on: 07-10-2006 09:37 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: timmer on 07-11-2006 11:53 PM
rmphoto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
4 months of school left and jobs seem to be growing on trees. One in particular seems nice, 48k and 4 weeks holiday to start, mon-fri... but its in Calgary, and im in Vancouver.

Not sure I want to leave, but I just wanted to maybe get some input on Calgary from some of you who live there (i know theres a few)

How long do winters last? is there snow? how cold does it get?
How long do summers last? how warm does it get?
Whats there to do there? and hows real estate? is there rentals available with a garage?

hope i can get some info, thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Copbait

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CopbaitClick Here to visit Copbait's HomePageClick Here to Email CopbaitSend a Private Message to CopbaitDirect Link to This Post
Err this post is from Capt not Copbait. Sorry I posted this and fogot to log him off.

Your best place is to start here

http://www.calgaryfieros.com/

There are lots of Fiero owners in Calgary and Edmonton. They have a pretty cool show there every year.

Housing is Cheap compared to Vancouver. It is also a great deal more white. If that matters to you.

I did a computer job out there a few months ago and was amazed at how much different life was there. You don't see farming stuff. You see oil rigs and everyone has a blackberry.

It is really cool. If Lisa and I had a job opportunity out there, I think I would jump at the chance. As for weather all I know is the winters are much colder and the summers are much hotter. Everything else. I have no idea.

------------------
Slam it!,Chrome it!, Boom it!
85 2M6 5spd Dropped, 2 tone paint job. 88 Balanced engine. MSD Ignition,225/50/15 tires.
Custom Fiberglass Sub Enclosure, 800w RMS Amp.
Otherwise known as Crash.

[This message has been edited by Copbait (edited 07-11-2006).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I moved from Vancouver to Calgary and would NOT want move back. I moved here because "that's where the work is" at that time as well.

I moved to Calgary in June 1980 with intentions of "maybe" going back to Vancouver if I had the chance. I went home for an Xmas visit. Wet cloudy gloom for that whole week helped me make up my mind to stay in Calgary permanently. I'm just not a "wet weather" guy and I can put up with sunny and snowy much better, though we get little snow on average and had almost no snow at all this past winter. We only had maybe a dozen days where I had to plug in the block heater (colder than -15)

We are in a "boom cycle" right now, so real estate prices have gone nuts. Property values have gone up 50% this past year, and I hear rentals can be high. I have a 2000 ft house with 2-car garage, 10 minutes from work for $995/month, so there are deals to be found. The links below should have all the information you're looking for.

About the city http://www.discovercalgary.com/
Climate http://www.discovercalgary.com/TravelEssentials/WeatherClimate/
City Hall http://calgary.ca/portal/server.pt?

SpeedDemon has been here a short time from Winnipeg. Shoot him an email and he could give you a "newly arrived" perspective. He's posted a message here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/060322.html

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-11-2006).]

timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
lol i feel exactly opposite to fiero sound . every time i visit cow town(calgary ) its brown and more brown lol i moved to vancouver in 89 and will never move back
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timmer:

lol i feel exactly opposite to fiero sound . every time i visit cow town(calgary ) its brown and more brown lol i moved to vancouver in 89 and will never move back

Looks pretty green to me

http://www.fergie.ca/aboutcal.htm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-11-2006).]

SpeedDemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedDemonSend a Private Message to SpeedDemonDirect Link to This Post
I'm on a work term in Calgary right now. Been here since the start of May, and I'm enjoying it. I can't really comment on the winters yet, although from what I've been told they are fairly dry and mild. The summer has been quite nice, mostly warm and sunny. As for what's to do; outside of Stampede Calgary offers all the standard attractions of a decently sized city, if you want to do something there is probably somewhere to do it. There are also festivals, and of course, you are about an hour away from the mountains and Banff National Park. What types of jobs are you looking for? I can't speak for all disciplines, but the oil companies do treat their employees quite well. It's a big city, but it is definately not another Toronto (interpret that as you like ).

Chris
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
We usually get about 2 or 3 weeks of -30ish weather in the winter but I would say it's usuallyi n the -20 range. We also get Chinooks on a reqular basis and it's not uncommon to have a 25 to 30 degree temperature increase in a matter of a few hours. Summers typically range from +20 to 30 degrees. One thing you will notice is that the air is substantially drier here than BC, some people have skin problems like dryness or chapping when they first arrive.

I was born here and will likely die here, but it's home to me.

Nolan
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageClick Here to Email Capt FieroSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

We usually get about 2 or 3 weeks of -30ish weather in the winter Nolan

I have never in my life in been weather that cold -10 and I think maybe a -15 once for an hour. -30 dang. Scrap the 20/50 oil, 0w30 a block heater and a 110v box heater to put in the car on a cord with a switch to turn it on from the house. Even in a garage, unless it is heated that will be dang cold.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Nolan... you're scaring everyone. Now they think it's always -20 from October to March

Environment Canada weather database, month by month. I have it at Jan 2006, use the previous/next to move to other months.
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=2205&Year=2006&Month=1&Day=1

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Your right, I may have made it sound worse than it is , but we do definately have a couple of weeks with near -30 temperatures. The temperatures do vary quite a bit from 0 to -20 and it's not like Saskatchewan where the low temps arrive and stay for quite a while.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 07-11-2006).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosClick Here to Email thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
mawhahaah...our winters here aint squat....the minus 30's arent that bad...considering there is little to no windchill here or at least not on a regular basis... i moved here 4 years ago from Nova Scotia...if you guys think its cold out here you wouldnt last out East....a mountain breeze dont compare to an ocean breeze....from all the horror stories i heard before i did my first winter on the rigs in Fort Mcmurray i thought my face was gonna freeze and fall off..hahahah... dude its not that bad...like anything else you get use to it...its more of a dry cold...less humidity so its not as biting....same with the summer dry vs sticky.... your skin will probably dry and crack a bit, sometimes your hair is affected too...i know when we go home the wifeys hair goes all crazy from the moisture in the air...funny as hell...so get use to moisturizing till you get use to it...other then that its not a bad place to live if you like making money and dont mind missing the ocean...good luck whatever u decide to do...tim..
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Your right, I may have made it sound worse than it is , but we do definately have a couple of weeks with near -30 temperatures. The temperatures do vary quite a bit from 0 to -20 and it's not like Saskatchewan where the low temps arrive and stay for quite a while.

Nolan

The cold snaps aren't very long, definitely don't last for weeks. From the charts at the above link...

Jan 2006 had 7 days (not all in a row) with temps between -11 and -15, all other days were -10 or warmer. Jan 25 hit 13 degrees
Feb 2006 had 4 days (not all in a row) colder than -25. Those 4 were the coldest days of the past winter.
Feb 25 had a morning temp of -27.8 but warmed up to -12.8 by the afternoon. Feb 7 was 13.8 degrees for a high.
There were also a couple of very cold days at the end of November and the 1st week of December.

The weather would be the least of his problems. Finding a good place to live without paying an arm and leg might be.
rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
The weather would be the least of his problems. Finding a good place to live without paying an arm and leg might be.

Actually im amazed at how cheap your real estate is after some digging around. The area that im in now; you cant find even a small house for less than half a mill. 3 bedroom? try 700k and upwards. Its just rediculous.

Anyways, the company is sending out a rep to Vancouver in september for interviews. Ill take an interview, and can always decline if i decide to take a job here.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Chill Tony, chill.
timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
of course its green now wait three weeks it'll be brown

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock