Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  In your opinion - best car ever? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
In your opinion - best car ever? by stevenrossi
Started on: 07-10-2006 09:04 AM
Replies: 56
Last post by: proff on 07-17-2006 08:55 PM
red84sematt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
my best vechile would have to be my 85 chevy scottsdale i owned for over a year i beat the dam piss out of it. cracked the ujoint on a burn i bashed it itno a retianing wall and and bored like hell everywhere i took it to michigan and back no probs. that dam 350 4barrel i tell ya toughest thing ive ever driven. i miss it.

worst oh god hmm intrepid 1990's somwhere that dam thing was a p.o.s uncomfratable no power ugly idk there are a few out there i dont like to drive.

my dad's ford 350 sucks bad touchy clutch rusty gears grind power is weird for a 300 6 and its just a really odd ball truck.

my favorite of course is my fiero 1984 i need it back on the road soon i miss drivin it.

------------------
my beauty

IP: Logged
red84sematt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post

red84sematt

1413 posts
Member since Mar 2006
bump i own page two yee haw
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red84sematt:
...my dad's ford 350 sucks bad touchy clutch rusty gears grind power is weird for a 300 6 and its just a really odd ball truck.

I used to drive an E250 (or maybe a 350) van with a 300 6 in it. What a total rolling ratpile that thing was.
It was a huge gas hog, and didn't have enough power to even get out of its own way.
sostock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
what no Mustang fans out there?

based on your criteria, reliability, milage, style, bullet proof, an 87-93 fox body is hard to beat. when i parked my 88 she had almost 200K. most expensive repair was a front ball joint going out. car always started. got 16 city, 22 hwy. style? who can't like a fox? plus if ya have a hatch back you can move a small appartment!

ok reason i parked it..paint chips and rust. some of it is bad ford paint. i think a lot of it has to do with going 70 mph down gravel roads.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
Best car: ' 64 Rambler Ambassador, stock 327 (refreshed at 130k), Auto. 250K miles and still going the last I saw it (1970).
2nd best: ' 69 Chrysler Newport. bullet proof.
Worst: ' 71 Ford Pinto
2nd Worst ' 79 Ford Fairmont

I must mention that I had an ' 85 Dodge pu, 225 slant 6, OD stick, that gave zero trouble for 130k.

Dave
stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
I haven't mentioned it...

great car, came as a surprise to me.

1992 Ford E150 Club Wagon 5.0L

Got it used for $700 - needed alternator and throttle body - the both seized since the van had sat for over 2 years. Replaced the two with used parts, put a battery in, and off she went. Been 2 years now, trouble free. Bought it at like 350K now has well over 400K. The body is rusting and the exhaust is in rough shape - but damn - im impressed.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Back to the original question ...

A candidate would have to be the 1937 Cord 812 SC roadster. Only 64 of this specific model were manufactured, perhaps 40 of which survive today.

- Front wheel drive (!)
- Supercharged Lycoming V8 engine (!!)
- 4-speed electro/pneumatic preselector transmission (!!!)
- Pop-up headlights (crank-up, actually)
- Roller camshaft
- Oil level indicator on the dash
- Disappearing top
- "Suicide" doors
- Step-down floor
- Front suspension sub-frame

Now for the personal connection: Back in the late 1960s I knew a man (Jimmy Leake) who had a collection of more that 100 antique and classic cars, most of them fully restored. He would not own a car that he was unwilling to drive on the street, and if a car show were within reasonable driving distance of his home base he wouldn't dream of trailering his cars to the show. That is how, on one fine sunny June day, I got to drive his fully-restored Cord 812 SC roadster back from a show to Muskogee (OK) ... about 40 miles. Life was good!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Best built? IMO it's anything that is good on gas, maintenance free or easily fixed, easy to insure, nation wide tech support, and with 200+ hp with looks--------that equals any Fiero with an engine swap and a few upgrades.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car, make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if I would call it the BEST car, but a mighty fine ride for not a lot of money would be a Ford/lincoln/Mercury "Box".
These full size cars with body on frame construction are roomy, tough, and very dependable. The small block Ford engine is either a 302/5.0 or a 351/5.8. Many were used as Taxis and police cars. They will tow a good sized trailer. The Ford/Mercury twins were the last full size station wagons made, in 1991.
My two station wagons both got around 17 mpg in town and 26.5 on the highway - almost as good as my 2.8 Fiero. And WAY better than a full size SUV or pickup.
Plus I can carry up to 10 people (if 4 of them are children) in comfort. Or sheets of 4X8 plywood inside - even my 16' canoe will ride comfortably in the Mercruiser wagon.
The Box (panther body) Ford products were made from 1979 thru 1991.
There are several websites/ forums devoted to these cars.

AND they can fly!

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 07-19-2006).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
MUSTANGS SUCK!!!
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
yo momma sucks.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2006 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I have been gone, just found this post. Good subject.

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:
I'd stay away from posting worst cars... you will invariably piss a potential customer off that happens to love whatever you pick.

As jstricker noted, good advice. You might also stay away from "Best Car". Some of your customers may not agree and it may affect their opinion of your business. As you can see from the replys, everyone has different criteria.

Originally posted by Formula88:
I don't know about "best" since no car is the best at everything. (

Originally posted by jstricker:
Men, OTOH, generally drive the best car they can afford OR the one they're most in love with......

They think it is the best. What if their "best" does not make your list ? Favorites, or Customer Favorites might be a better term.
My favorites ?
My 1970 Chevrolet SWB Fleetside Pick Up. Best would be the same, 4X4 CST (or even a 72 4X4 Cheyene SWB).
The 69 Mustang fastback I once had. Best would be top of the line. I don't think the Mach I was out till 70.
The 71 Chevrolet Vega GT I once had.
The 57 Chevrolet 210 which was a Belair clone.
My best ?
My 05 Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 07-17-2006).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2006 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
For me, 8Ball got it right: 57 Chevy Bel Air. Just a personal preferrance. IMHO 283 was the best GM ever came up with.

Or maybe a Tucker?

HAGO
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
this is a no-brainer, OBVIOUSLY the gremlin is the best ever made

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
A case could be made for the Volkswagon. The same basic car how many years in a row.
Same for the Jeep.
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2006 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
My best was my 76 old .this is not mine but the same one as I had ..just mine came whit two stripe that did run from the front to the back ..was a 350 Rocket motor

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2006 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
VW air cooled
alot of beetles are still going here in Australia
Un touched
not modified
they just go and go for ever
the bodies rust away b4 the motors stop working
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page