Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Stephen Hawking Posts An Online Question.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Stephen Hawking Posts An Online Question. by Boondawg
Started on: 07-09-2006 02:17 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: NEPTUNE on 07-10-2006 09:30 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Some questions even stump Stephen Hawking.

The famed British astrophysicist and best-selling author has turned to Yahoo Answers, a new feature in which anyone can pose a question for fellow Internet users to try to answer. By Friday afternoon, nearly 17,000 Yahoo Inc. users had responded.

Hawking's question: "In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13781538/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2006 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Hawkings is a moron.

The world is not in chaos politicly, socialy or enviromentaly. Humanity will survive for millenium to come.
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:

Hawkings is a moron.

------------------

What does labor want? We want more schoolhouses and less jails; more books and less arsenals; more learning and less vice; more leisure and less greed; more justice and less revenge; in fact, more of the opportunities to cultivate our better natures, to make manhood more noble, womanhood more beautiful, and childhood more happy and bright.
-Samuel Gompers

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2006 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Hawkings is a moron.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-09-2006).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Hawkings is a moron.

The world is not in chaos politicly, socialy or enviromentaly. Humanity will survive for millenium to come.

Did you really mean that or are you just trolling? If you really meant it... explain how the world is not in chaos politically, or socialy for a start... just pick one an justify yourself.

So what are your qualifications for calling Hawkings a moron? I'm sure it's got to be better than Hawking, he's the Lucasian Professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge and if even dead people like Issac Newton can hold that post, I'm sure you've done better.

You've got to have at least these awards and more right?

* 1975 Eddington Medal
* 1976 Hughes Medal of the Royal Society
* 1979 Albert Einstein Medal
* 1985 Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society
* 1986 Member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences
* 1988 Wolf Prize in Physics
* 1989 Prince of Asturias Awards in Concord
* 1999 [6] Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize of the American Physical Society
* 2003 Michelson Morley Award of Case Western Reserve University
* 2006 Copley Medal of the Royal Society
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

x2

At least I can spell Hawking.

Anyways, it's an interesting question. I subscribe to the theory that while we're down here bickering and ***** slapping each other, some 10 mile asteroid will blindside us.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2006 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:
Did you really mean that or are you just trolling?

It HAD to be a joke!

The funny part is putting those 2 words together, Hawking & Moron!

"That guy dances like Stephen Hawking!"

Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2006 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:
Did you really mean that or are you just trolling? If you really meant it... explain how the world is not in chaos politically, or socialy for a start... just pick one an justify yourself.

So what are your qualifications for calling Hawkings a moron? I'm sure it's got to be better than Hawking, he's the Lucasian Professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge and if even dead people like Issac Newton can hold that post, I'm sure you've done better.

You've got to have at least these awards and more right?

* 1975 Eddington Medal
* 1976 Hughes Medal of the Royal Society
* 1979 Albert Einstein Medal
* 1985 Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society
* 1986 Member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences
* 1988 Wolf Prize in Physics
* 1989 Prince of Asturias Awards in Concord
* 1999 [6] Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize of the American Physical Society
* 2003 Michelson Morley Award of Case Western Reserve University
* 2006 Copley Medal of the Royal Society

I hope you never fall off your high horse the drop is way to far for you to survive. (now thats trolling)
I hope you fall off your high horse and break your neck when you land. (thats a flame)

Calling the worlds smartest man a moron is clearly a joke. You need to relax some.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering.... I've seen some here that would mean it and attempt to back it up with something they heard on the radio
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
i heard on the radio that he can't walk or talk.

he can't be too smart.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the answer is relatively simple. But the solution, and because of humans being who and what they are, is extremely complex and nearly impossible. To add to it, one of the things that needs to be done is to bring back morals. The world seems to be lacking those lately. Because whatever solution is arrived upon, it seems that someone somewhere will find a way to exploit it. Just my opinion though.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 07-09-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Calling the worlds smartest man a moron is clearly a joke. You need to relax some.

My first instinct told me that this was a joke.
However, on FOX "news" they are all laughing at the genius.
I guess ignorance really IS bliss for some people.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/videos/season_2/index.jhtml?playVideo=71006

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 07-09-2006).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Actually, that was Henninger, an editor at the Wall Street Journal and not affiliated with Fox News other than he was a guest offering an opinion. Besides that, the only thing he was really poking fun at was that he didn't want to colonize the moon, hardly something that takes great intellect. (BTW, I think we should already be on the moon with a permanent base). The only thing I really saw that was "laughing" at Hawking was Colbert on Comedy Central.

John Stricker

My first instinct told me that this was a joke.
However, on FOX "news" they are all laughing at the genius.
I guess ignorance really IS bliss for some people.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/videos/season_2/index.j html?playVideo=71006

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
"In a world that is in chaos politically, socially and environmentally, how can the human race sustain another 100 years?"
hawking is a brilliant astrophysicist, but he's no more qualified to speculate about the destiny of humanity than the rest of us.

i just finished re-reading "a canticle for leibowitz". i first read it when i was 12 or 14. it seems to have deeply influenced my view of human nature, progress and history.

political, social and environmental chaos have always been with us. they are part of the human condition. the only thing new about this is that we have the capabilty to utterly destroy ourselves.

are we wise enough to not exercise that capability? time will tell. in the cosmic scheme of things, we are cockroaches, irrelevant but tough and adaptable. i have a certain irrational faith that somehow, come what may, pestilence or thermonuclear war, we will muddle through, perhaps to rebuild and repeat our errors.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 07-09-2006).]

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Apparently you guys use the word moron differently over there.
Doesn't matter how smart you are. You can still be a moron.
Probably a word that equates as equally to being a geek as being an uninformed redneck, or many other things.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 07-09-2006).]

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
One could also take into account that someone may be a genius, does not automatically make them an expert in all areas.

I admire Hawking for his understanding of the physical universe. I don't automatically ascribe him an expert on psychology, and sociology.

Hawking lives a fairly insulated life of an academic, and has health issues. If you spent all your time around universities and fellow academics you might have a different world view of say a politician, covert agent, mill worker, etc.

Hawking has no wants (aside from the physical disability) all that he needs is provided for him. People have spent years working on the technology that allows him to speak and get around this is not the case for 99.9% of the rest of the world’s population again giving different world views.

So to the original question, the question itself is flawed. He's taking his world view as a factual baseline starting point.
The reply is fairly simple, the way we have for the past 4+ thousand years.. By working at it, and dealing with the outcome.
The world is actually more stable than in days of Rome and Greece when they were constantly at war with each other and their neighbors. Slavery and social injustice have all but been eradicated in the forward countries. Environmentally we are in much better shape then where we were just 50-30 yrs ago during the height of the industrial age.

Now before you dog pile on, Im not saying all is rosy, but "chaos" might be a bit on an exaggeration when taken in context of where we as a species have been and where we are now.
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
well said lurker. do you have a link to that book, or story?
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

well said lurker. do you have a link to that book, or story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

One could also take into account that someone may be a genius, does not automatically make them an expert in all areas.
[SNIP]
Now before you dog pile on, Im not saying all is rosy, but "chaos" might be a bit on an exaggeration when taken in context of where we as a species have been and where we are now.

You made some good, well thought out points, Uaana. While I don't agree 100%, much of what you said is true.
I thoght the Fox "news" laughfest was shameful.
Your disagreement, however, showed proper respect to a brilliant man and I thank you for your civility.
I only wish I were able to solve this riddle.

------------------

What does labor want? We want more schoolhouses and less jails; more books and less arsenals; more learning and less vice; more leisure and less greed; more justice and less revenge; in fact, more of the opportunities to cultivate our better natures, to make manhood more noble, womanhood more beautiful, and childhood more happy and bright.
-Samuel Gompers

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

NEPTUNE

10199 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by jstricker:

Actually, that was Henninger, an editor at the Wall Street Journal and not affiliated with Fox News other than he was a guest offering an opinion. Besides that, the only thing he was really poking fun at was that he didn't want to colonize the moon, hardly something that takes great intellect. (BTW, I think we should already be on the moon with a permanent base). The only thing I really saw that was "laughing" at Hawking was Colbert on Comedy Central.

John Stricker

Sorry I couldn't find the original FOX clip, with frequent guest Henninger.
Apparently it is no longer available.
I shouldnt wonder. I always try to hide it when I put my foot in my mouth too.
Not to hijack the thread, but IMO someone should sue FOX 'news" and force Rupert Murdick to take the word "NEWS"off his broadcasts.
They are nothing of the sort.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=FOX_News

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 07-10-2006).]

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Only if they do the same to CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC.

Pick any of the above (and include Fox). Tally up the hours devoted to "NEWS", then tally up the hours devoted to opinion, interviews of opinion, and new (and I use the term loosely) type programs. News at any of them in the old Huntley/Brinkley-Cronkite style is non-existent.

John Stricker

Sorry I couldn't find the original FOX clip, with frequent guest Henninger.
Apparently it is no longer available.
I shouldnt wonder. I always try to hide it when I put my foot in my mouth too.
Not to hijack the thread, but IMO someone should sue FOX 'news" and force Rupert Murdick to take the word "NEWS"off his broadcasts.
They are nothing of the sort.

PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
John, that SOUNDS like a valid argument, but it just isn't.
It's worn out and false. There's no comparison.
Like comparing Soap Opera To legitimate theater.
We could argue that 'till the cows come home, but it's off topic.
And I know you would rather argue than eat.
Best regards and goodnight, sir.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Not really an argument, my friend.

Personally, I'll take the BBC over any US news source for just delivering the facts. My only point was that none of them are worth a hoot.

John Stricker

John, that SOUNDS like a valid argument, but it just isn't.
It's worn out and false. There's no comparison.
Like comparing Soap Opera To legitimate theater.
We could argue that 'till the cows come home, but it's off topic.
And I know you would rather argue than eat.
Best regards and goodnight, sir.

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Living without chaos is unnatural. Self destruction of any society is inevitable. The question is moot.

Next...
MclarenF1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
hehehe

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

Living without chaos is unnatural. Self destruction of any society is inevitable. The question is moot.

Next...

If that answer wasn't so depressing & true, I would be right there with ya'!
But I prefer the illusion of hope, against all hope.
Don't get me wrong.
HOPE.
Not faith.

Faith can be broken.
Hope requires no investment.

99svtgreensnake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 99svtgreensnakeClick Here to visit 99svtgreensnake's HomePageSend a Private Message to 99svtgreensnakeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

hehehe

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
In our attempts to elliminate chaos, we create it.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't we take our problems with us to Mars or wherever we go to escape the problems on earth?
No matter where you go, there YOU are.
We created the chaos here. We can do it again.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 07-10-2006).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it's all just a matter of the balance of the universe. In order to know what order is, we have to have chaos. Bad to know good. Sour to know sweet, etc. Without chaos, we would adjust to label what we now know as normal as chaos. It would become, and is anyway, a situation of things being relative. What we consider chaos in this country is probably considered the norm in others.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Hawkings is a moron.

X3. Boy, I'm still laughing.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-10-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
The only man smarter than Hawkings..................Buckaroo Banzai!! Heck, He traveled dimensions, was a brain surgeon, and played a mean Gi-tar.

John Stricker

No matter where you go, there YOU are.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

The only man smarter than Hawkings..................Buckaroo Banzai!! Heck, He traveled dimensions, was a brain surgeon, and played a mean Gi-tar.

John Stricker

One of my top ten fave movies.
Always glad so see ANYONE mention it.
I'd give you a + but you already have one.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock