Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  wooo first time on a motorcycle in 20 years!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

wooo first time on a motorcycle in 20 years! by LoW_KeY
Started on: 07-04-2006 08:37 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: TK on 07-07-2006 12:16 AM
LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
Rather fun, sure do notice a lot more things. Dad and I went to see my grandma today about a 50 mile drive from his place, but he came and got me so that added another 25-30 miles. Last time I was on one was when I was 5 and I rode on the front and hugged the tank I didn't like riding on the back when I was younger. One day my dad says pull the handle right here, I'm 5 so I'm like ok! I pull it back really hard and we did a pulled a wheelie, I screamed and let off was on a 86 honda nighthawk 650.

I think he had a little fun, he knew I was a bit squeamish at first, he had to do a 100 run on the way back then cut off. It wasn't so bad once I was used to it. 70 degrees you tend to find warm cold spots all over going down the road glad I grabbed a coat like he told me to.

I may look into getting one next year, fun and relaxing!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I absolutely love riding, sold my last one when my son was 6 or 7, now he's 21. I'd love to get another but with insurance and all the other economic factors I'm faced with, it's not likely to happen. The wife told me that if I sold a couple of my 88 Formulas I could go get one. I quickly saw through this ploy. No way! Bikes, specifically big bikes give a feeling of freedom and a thrill that few other things offer. But they also supply a huge amount of risk. If you decide to go get one, please take a motorcycle training course and then ride during none high traffic/rush hour times until you develop the skills and reactions necessary to ride safely. The one thing you always have to remember is that other drivers will not respect you on the bike and they will run your a$$ over given half a chance. Oh, forgot to say, always wear a helmet while riding. I know it's cooler to go without but, when you do need it, if it's at home or any other place besides on your head, well, it won't be pretty. Yeah, I miss having a bike and just maybe someday I'll get another. Some day I'll have to tell you about getting stopped by a county sheriff doing something over 150 mph. That was a rather sticky situation.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

I may look into getting one next year, fun and relaxing!

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I still consider purchasing a motorcycle one of the best things I've done with my life.

As the saying goes, Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
trailboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trailbossSend a Private Message to trailbossDirect Link to This Post
Blackrams had some good advice, you would do well to heed it.

A couple of years ago I heard an insurance spokesman being interviewed on the popularity of motorcycles he said something like this:
"Many of the men getting motorcycles are in their forties and haven't been riding their whole life, at the same time are financially in a position to afford large powerful bikes, unfortunately they do not possess the skills to handle their new bike and they get themselves into trouble."
He went on to say that insurance claims had risen dramatically as a result.
I just saw a guy leaving a Harley dealership the other day and could tell that he was a new rider, (he was in his thirties} the way that he was riding reminded me of a kid learning to ride a bike, I'm not knocking the guy, we all have to begin somewhere...

I would like to get a bike, here in AZ. you can ride almost every day of the year, many of my co-workers do, but I figured that I have already used up eight of my lives, one of them was used up doing motocross when I was fifteen. I went off a cliff on a curve in Texas, came down on one leg , and my shock absorbing capacity of my knee was exceeded, my knee swelled to the size of a small watermelon and required major reconstruction. That's what happens when you are young and think you are invincible.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
I learned from the best person in my case, my dad. He said to always watch yourself then stopped himself, he's like nevermind you'd drive it like your fiero (I'm always aware/cautious) he laughs when he sees people riding in shorts, he said those are the ones that haven't lost a bike due to sand. He said he's lost a few back in his early days of riding on sand wasn't going fast.

Yesterday prime example guy riding a crotch rocket passed on a hill.. I lean over and tell my dad god what a moron! my dad's said to me yeah that's why I didn't pass.

Michigan its a law for helmets so that's a requirement, I've seen how people drive and like I said I do it with my car I'm cautious 24/7 where ever I drive it. I know a bike you get hit once you're probably done. One day I was with my ex and she was right on this dudes butt! I was like would you get off from him!. I wish I would've gotten a license before hand, MI makes you take all these classes. My dad always kept his license even after he sold his bike so he never had to go through with those, but like I said I've learned a bunch from him and I'm sensible unlike my brother thinks if you've got the right away go! my dad called him a moron, told him you're on a bike you have to watch yourself and don't expect others to watch you or give you the right away.

we were just on a cruiser 1100 honda shadow.. my dad suggest a 750 shadow, something smaller. Then he said well not unless you're into speed crotch rockets, but insurance will kill you. I told him no, 70-100 feels damn fast on a bike. I can't picture ever going any faster! way different from a car vs a bike.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 07-05-2006).]

silversurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silversurferSend a Private Message to silversurferDirect Link to This Post
I love bikes as well as cars thats why I own 3.I have a 83 Suzuki GS650,a nearly mint 74 Honda CB360 I just rolled 11,000 original miles on it and a restoring a 74 Indian enduro.The insurance is cheep to boot.My Honda will cost me $60 for a year and the Suzuki $75.The only thing holding me back is now I have to get my motercycle licence.I haven't rode a street bike since I was a teen and since then I have rode only a few dirt bikes.But I hear it's like riding a bike...lol
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
screw going fast on 2 wheels when you can go just as fast on 4. Heck 4 is scary enough.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

screw going fast on 2 wheels when you can go just as fast on 4. Heck 4 is scary enough.

in some ways.. dads friend and his kid picked up 2 haybusa's? (spelling) I've read reports 1/4 mile 9.86@146! I know he told my dad he was riding with a buddy with a 750 ninja or something similar to that number, and the guy on the ninja went on a dead sprint. My dads friend on the haybusa blew by him (he's still breaking in the bike) the guy on the ninja's like hey thought you weren't supposed to nail it, dads friend told him he didn't he shifted out at 5 grand and the bike goes to 12 or 13? he's offered to let my dad take it for a spin. It's rather crazy how fast those bikes are that fast through the quarter and go 200

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 07-05-2006).]

tuner2m6t

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuner2m6tSend a Private Message to tuner2m6tDirect Link to This Post
Bikes can be fun just be caeful. But no matter how careful you are accidents happen. About a week and a half ago I had to lay my bike down because of an accident it front of me. It was either lay the bike down or go over the back of a neon. I got some road rash some swelling and bruising and a dislocated shoulder. Was still able to make it to the Auburn show. Just always remember to wear a helmet. If I didn't have one on I wouldn't be alive today. I slid about 15ft on my head and shoulder.

Oh by the way did you ever clean your car? LOL
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
lol it was! well the motor wasn't I have to clean that up yet even more, to cluttered.

I'm working on the AC removal got the by pass pulley, but this looks like it'll be a sweet heart to get out
JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post
I was filling up when a guy in the SUV asked me why I was wearing aleather jacket in the summer-
told 'em the road was just as hard as in the winter.
I'm in amazement when I see a newbie rider (usually on a Harley) wearing T-shirt & shorts.
Me- I'm not trusting Luck. I've seen Highsides and Birdstrikes. I wear full face helmet, gloves that go over my wrists, and armored leather jacket- I wear the armored pants when I'm on a day trip.
I'm covering all the known problems in hopes that the unpredictable problem might be minimized.
BTW- I'm on a Buell (sportbike chasis with hi-end Sportster engine).
PFF
System Bot
freshfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freshfieroSend a Private Message to freshfieroDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Riding is much much more fun than being strapped into a car, plus being able to hit 130 like that, is a rush! I bought a 2003 kawasaki zzr 600 and prefer its gas milage over anything! plus the girls really like a guy on a bike! -gary-
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Good story LoW_KeY, I enjoyed reading it.

I started with a Honda CB-650 in 1980

I added a vetter fairing & side/tail bags, and added a set of highway gears. Kept it for 3 years, including a vacation trip from Maryland to Arizona & back.

Back then, while married, my wife would fall asleep on the back during long rides.

Then traded up to a GoldWing in 1983

It was my daily driver, drove 120 miles round trip to & from work, rain or shine. (carried rain gear)

I put many trouble free miles on it, including two Maryland to Florida vacations. It was a very comfortable bike. It had an 1100cc engine that purried along at any speed.

I sold it to my best friend in 98, he still owns it today !

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-06-2006).]

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2006 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I started with a Taco 44 and upgraded to a Honda C105 and then Super 90.......

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock