Started on: 07-03-2006 04:07 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: whadeduck on 07-04-2006 05:20 PM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Trying to find a 1972 Honda 450 frame that's titleable. My older brother has one and got a raw deal from NCDOT. The guy who sold it to him was a dealer when he bought the bike. But when he sold it to my brother, he had let his license lapse and was no longer considered a dealer in NC but the guy filled out the paperwork as a dealer. When my brother went to get the bike titled in his name, NCDOT not only said that he couldn't get the title, they took all his paperwork, said that he'll never be able to get a title on the bike, and fined the other guy $5000. I'd like to try and help my brother out and get him a frame that he can transfer everything over to. The bike that he can't title is complete and looks great. He just need something he can get the right paperwork on.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 07-03-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Ebay? Item number: 4626449598 Not sure if they have a title or not.. I used to have a few of those years ago when I had my shop.. I sold all my stock (about 30 bikes) to another dealer.. He went out of business about 2 years ago, but sure who he sold his stock to.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the lead. I sent him an e-mail.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Brian Lamberts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
http://www.independentcycle.com/index.cfm

They used to have lots of old stuff, might be able to find you a titled frame.

Vintage Japanese Motor Cycles (VJMC) Great people, Suzukijoe (Joe Broussard) and others might be able to point you in the right direction.

here are two lists available, VJMC-request which allows you to receive messages as they are posted to the list, or the VJMC-digest which waits until the messages in the list builds to 20k then packages them up and then sends them to you in one lump.

Joining the Mailing List
To join the VJMC-request list send a blank email to:
vjmc-subscribe@hyperreal.org

To join the VJMC-digest list send a blank email to:
vjmc-digest-subscribe@hyperreal.org

The list software will reply and tell you what to do to confirm your request.

Try doing an ebay search for CB450, you want early 70's vintage, later model parts probably won't work.

These guys may be able to get documents generated that can be used to generate a title. It's important to know whether the bike has been titled in your state and whether it's been reported stolen. ITS doesn't work very well if either case applies. I generated paperwork for a title in Washington State--it took the intervention of my county's licensing department manager to get a title issued (small town, she knew me personally, and vouched for me.)

You don't really need a titled frame, btw, just one that's clean with different numbers from the one you have.

http://www.its-titles.com/Al%20Prices.htm

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I suppose I don't need one that actually has a title. Just one that a title can be obtained. My brother's birthday is coming up next month. That'd be so cool if I could hand him a frame for his bike and the title for it too. He's one of those guys that works his butt off and just can't seem to catch a break. He deserves to have something good happen to him once in a while. It'd be a lot of work to transfer the parts, but at least it'd be better than it sitting in the yard with no hope of riding it. Thanks for the info.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Mr. Pat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Just an FYI, thats also a good way to register a stolen bike........I lived in ATL, about half the bikes there are stolen.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Whade have you tried the local cycle salvage yards? Joe
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes you can get a new title issued for a vehicle that has a "Lost title" or no way to track ownership, or you can just go to another state and get a new title issued for a vehicle.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I think the problem is that the VIN number on that bike has now already been put into the system as untitleable. That's why I'm thinking I'll end up getting a different frame. Pretty messed up if you ask me. The guy bought the bike as a dealer and, in the time between when he bought the bike and when he sold it to my brother, let his dealer license lapse. So he filled the paperwork out just as it was on the title. The DMV took it saying the sale was made illegally and that now the bike has been "condemed" so to speak. What they should have allowed him to do is to go back to the guy and have him pretty much sell the bike to himself. Then sell it to my brother as a non-dealer. Or at least something like that instead of completely removing the bike from ever being able to get a title again. Just seems kind of silly.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
You should still be able to get a title for it in another state. I have done that on a vehicle here, and Aceman here in the cities is going to do the same thing on a car he has a bill of sale for. Once you have a title, the state can't say no.
Vonov

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Whade, if I were you, I'd go to the local TV station. Most of the news shows have a show like "4 the Consumer" or "2 on Your Side".

A friend of mine had a ne'er do well brother in law, who took advantage of the fact that he had the same last name as his brother in law, and the same "general" physical description. He surreptitiously obtained my friend's personal information, got a duplicate driver's license in my friend's name, and went to NC and TX and managed to get DUI's in both states...under my friend's name. When he jumped bail in NC, they promptly issued an arrest warrant, and notified the State of Tennessee to revoke his driving privileges, which they did. Of course, NC did not fingerprint the person they arrested. My friend had to gather documentation of his proof of identity, and the fact that he was working for the railroad on the night in question, and travel to NC to prove his innocence. When he got back to Tennessee, the idiots at DMV still would not reinstate his license, and wanted a buttload of money to do so, even though my friend had done absolutely NOTHING to get it revoked in the first place. Six months of letter writing and phone calls accomplished absolutely zero. He called the local TV station and explained his dilemma. The entire situation was resolved in ONE afternoon, without charge, when my friend walked into DMV with a camera crew in tow, and a reporter who LOVED getting into bureaucrats faces.
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

You should still be able to get a title for it in another state. I have done that on a vehicle here, and Aceman here in the cities is going to do the same thing on a car he has a bill of sale for. Once you have a title, the state can't say no.

Only problem with that was, when he went to the DMV to get everything taken care of, they confiscated the title and everything else he had on the bike.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Only problem with that was, when he went to the DMV to get everything taken care of, they confiscated the title and everything else he had on the bike.

But you still have a frame number and whatnot. :P

I bought a motorcycle about 2 years ago. No title. The state issued a new title for it for a fee, along with me giving them photos of it, and signing a waiver that the state was not responsible if the bike ends up being stolen.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
They told him at the NCDMV after they took his paperwork that, if he tried to register the bike or title it, they'd consider it stolen and have him arrested. Isn't that rediculous? Maybe it's NC's warpped way of getting some of the older vehicles off of the road.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock