Call for Help (my civic) by ChaoticMav
Started on: 07-03-2006 10:39 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 07-11-2006 06:41 PM
ChaoticMav

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChaoticMavSend a Private Message to ChaoticMavDirect Link to This Post
(I had engine work done 30 days ago 3,000 miles)

They have a 12k miles/12 month warranty on the engine.

I was driving to work on Friday, normal driving I need the MPG, and all of a sudden BOOM, and a puff of white smoke, I threw a rod, and took it to Honda...

now...

I talked to Honda this morning, and they are NOT going to cover my engine. A rod snapped and forced a hole in the engine. They did alot of work to it earlier June, including rings, pistons, cleaning/shaving heads/pistons/vavles etc, INCLUDING REPLACING THE BEARINGS. So i talked to the services manager and says since they did not replace the rods (just the bearings) that it is not covered under warranty.

I am going to run a short day today (no appointments) and plan on calling Honda of America, any help/suggestions would be great. I know the cost will exceed $3k and the 2.5k I paid will do me NOTHING, and they will not discount any labor/parts even though I just had them to the engine work.

Really pissed about this one, that means I have no car anymore (am forced to return the rental tonight)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Time to call your/a lawyer.
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
you can pick up stock SOHC civic motors for 200-300 bucks all day long... most D-Series engines will last 200+K miles... ive seen a few around here with 310+

get a lawyer now...

try to find some local honda people, like the kid who has the B16 swap in his CRX and see if he can help you swap in another stock motor, i know one guy that can have a stock motor out and another stock on in the car in less than an hour....

www.honda-tech.com will be your best bet for finding people like that. you also may be able to get help w/ the honda dealer thru there...
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
I would probably try Honda first and see if they would be willing to honor the warranty. The dealer should have reccomended a reman. rather than all the work he poured into it.
I can buy a reman. Toyota 4A-FE (long block) from NAPA for around $1750. I would still call Honda Motor and complain that you had the work done in good faith and the dealer should have put new rods in or at least had them magnafluxed. You could try a lawyer, but that will probably take more money and time than it's worth.

One thing about Japenese cars is you need to do your homework and get all the information you can. As an example, an ignition module for the above mentioned 4A-FE lists at NAPA for $290ish. A reman. dist. with a new module is $252!

Honda will probably offer you a compromise (you may not like it), they may also have a mechanism in place so that a 3rd party arbitraitor could hear the case................Good Luck................Paul
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't matter. They recently had the engine open, if there wasn't an apparent flaw with the rods (and they should well have visually inspected them at minimum) you should not have difficulty making the case of how suspicious it is that the engine let go so soon after they built it. Burden of proof is going to be on you, so get a lawyer and have all dealings go through them.

If were me, I would have my lawyers name & number handy. I would contact Honda one last time, when you get no-where with them, as you certainly will, tell them they are not to contact you directly anymore, and all further communications are to be directed to your lawyer and give them the contact info. People dork around trying to get stuff like this resolved on their own way too often. I recently called my lawyer on my landlord for penalties and late fees. Its amazing how attitudes can change when legal counsel is brough in.

This isn't legal adivse, I'm not a lawyer. Take it at that.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 07-03-2006).]

ChaoticMav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChaoticMavSend a Private Message to ChaoticMavDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips guys, contacted Honda of America, should hear something Wed.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
Probably Honda of America can't do much. It was the dealer that fuxxed up your engine. And this bs about "we didn't replace the rods, so it ain't our problem" is just that, BS They did the work, they were responsible for some cursory inspection of the parts.

Look for an independent shop to inspect the engine--the dealer did something wrong--life is too short for coincidences and the fact that it threw a rod after only 30 days smells a lot like rotten fish. Get them to do a written report. Have them install a used engine, too, ASAP and document the cost--it's called mitigation of damages, you need a car to get to and from work (not to mention getting groceries and toilet paper.) Don't go overboard on the engine, you only want it as good as if the engine they "fixed" had been done right--no solid platinum rocker cover, please. Because, old son, you are gonna sue. Sue for the rental car, too. Talk to the local media and picket, too.

Sue them in small claims court, btw. Alternative action is to buy another car and sue for a refund and rental costs after the engine died (probably more reasonable--reasonable counts for a lot in small claims court.)

Don't get mad--get nasty!

When they say in court, "Wha, we woulda fixed it, but he didn't give us a chance." Mention that you did give them a chance and they told you to go pound sand.

I hate this BS. Another reason for never doing business with new car dealer service departments!

Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Brian Lamberts

2691 posts
Member since Feb 2003
BTW, I saw three engines on the first page of this Ebay search (one is Leavenworth)

http://search.ebay.com/honda-civic-engine_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQxpufuZx
ChaoticMav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChaoticMavSend a Private Message to ChaoticMavDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the advice Brian, but the problem is I have neither the resources or the credit to do that...

I did hear back from Honda of America, their response :
"We spoke to the Services manager and it was determined the rod broke due to damage"

Thats all, I tried arguing but she brushed me off, and told me there will be a "represenative" at the dealer Tues/Wed, I have to go Wed as I am packed full of appointments tomorrow.

This is a letter I got from the dealer, after my dad requested information..

"I am writing in regards to your request for information regarding the repairs on your Son's 2001 Honda Civic. After inspecting the vehicle we found the #1 rod had broken which caused the piston skirt to break and the rod went thru the engine block. It is our opinion that the engine was over revved which caused this damage.

The estimate to replace your engine with a used engine assembly would be approx $2600 to $3000 depending on the availability of an engine."

It was suggested that I call the Kansas District Attorney for more help.

Just letting you guys know whats going on so far *sigh* this is just a ****ing nightmare.
ChaoticMav

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChaoticMavSend a Private Message to ChaoticMavDirect Link to This Post

ChaoticMav

401 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Bump for any last minute advice.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
But it’s a Honda, it’s supposed to last forever.

Ya right, it’s a piece of crap. sell it cut your loses and call the DA and a lawyer.

This is common BS that a dealer will do, all dealers foreign and domestic. “We didn’t do anything wrong.”

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock