Glow in the dark Karting by Ferrari_cdn
Started on: 06-27-2006 04:03 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Ferrari_cdn on 06-28-2006 12:15 PM
Ferrari_cdn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
A karting facility here just started the glow in the dark karting. It's pretty mind blowing! Have anyone ever tried it or have something like this at your home?

The video seems dark, but the vests and the fluorescent paints on the barriers are very bright.

http://www.fasttoys.net/glokarting.mpg

These karts go up to 50kph and accelerate pretty fast. Drivers license required.

[This message has been edited by Ferrari_cdn (edited 06-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
They have it near me, haven't gone there...but the place doesn't let ya "bump" each other at all...

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 06-27-2006).]

Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
Bumping is allowed here, but within reason of course. You'll be given demerit points (which translates to higher costs to drive a race) if you ram into a kart and been warned already. However in league races, more aggressive driving are allowed, but of course within limits. Any races where you get in trouble by merely touching another kart wouldn't be fun I guess.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ferrari_cdn:

Bumping is allowed here, but within reason of course. You'll be given demerit points (which translates to higher costs to drive a race) if you ram into a kart and been warned already. However in league races, more aggressive driving are allowed, but of course within limits. Any races where you get in trouble by merely touching another kart wouldn't be fun I guess.

What they need is sensors on the carts, based on the force of the "bump".
If you bump someone, your acceleration is decreased momintarily, in relation to the force of the bump.
Basicly, bumping could make you lose possistion.
And you would have work that much harder at clean racing, for a win.

Or better yet, sensors in the track.
You would be penelized for trying to take a posistion (a space ocupied by another cart) that wasn't fully yours.
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
What if you bump the sensor on the wall?

But the thing you need to do is put sensors in the carts in relation to the distance of each cart, so if bumping into the wall wouldn't penalize you and the sensors only become active when carts are going to touch. If I owned track personally, I'd allow everyman for themself, I mean they're wearing helmets and it's almost impossible to topple over.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtowner:

What if you bump the sensor on the wall?

But the thing you need to do is put sensors in the carts in relation to the distance of each cart, so if bumping into the wall wouldn't penalize you and the sensors only become active when carts are going to touch. If I owned track personally, I'd allow everyman for themself, I mean they're wearing helmets and it's almost impossible to topple over.

Tru 'dat!

My problem is i'm comming in low & tight into a corner, having it all sewed up, when someone slams into the back of me, pushing me sideways out of the corner, which inturn slows them down just enough to take over my spot.
Some bumper sensors could kill his cart for a few seconds, making the move not worth it.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

...I'd allow everyman for themself, I mean they're wearing helmets and it's almost impossible to topple over.

Ooo.... ouch. I have injuries that would suggest otherwise. I've broken a rib, permanently damaged a muscle in my neck, and have had countless bruises & blisters from racing. But I'll never quit

I've been racing in an indoor karting league for quite awhile now. Every Tuesday for nearly 2 years now... We've talked with the staff before about a night race... and they're definitely considering it. I'll be sure to send this their way.

The new thing at our track is "drifting". One of the companies sells a plastic-coated metal ring (looks like poly) that fits over a deflated tire and is held in place by re-inflating the tire. It makes the back REALLY slick - pretty entertaining to see even the best of our league drivers spin the karts! But for the Drift practice & competitions, they only allow 2 or 3 karts out at one time (we run at most 10-12 karts the rest of the time).
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:
What they need is sensors on the carts, based on the force of the "bump".

Ah, but size doesn't matter A pit manuver is a relatively light bump.
Wht&BluGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wht&BluGTSend a Private Message to Wht&BluGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
The new thing at our track is "drifting". One of the companies sells a plastic-coated metal ring (looks like poly) that fits over a deflated tire and is held in place by re-inflating the tire. It makes the back REALLY slick - pretty entertaining to see even the best of our league drivers spin the karts! But for the Drift practice & competitions, they only allow 2 or 3 karts out at one time (we run at most 10-12 karts the rest of the time).

You can buy r/c car kits like that you can drift. I used to race go karts with my neighbors, and one of my neighbors came around a turn one time on two wheels doing about 50 mph , but now they race shifter karts, which will do 120+mph (for the 125 cc) and 170+ mph (250 cc), inches off the ground with no seat belts, i'll pass!
DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
Thats freaking awesome!! I can't wait.. this company http://www.grandprixspeedways.com/ is opening up just down the street from me.. I used to DJ at the country club that was there and its across the highway from where I just worked last (dave&busters) the building used to be a Sams club if that says how big it is! I'm thinking about seeing what it takes to join up in a leauge.. Ive been dying to race! I SOOOOO Cant wait!! the exterior of the building has been heavly revamped so I can only imagine the inside!!

I wonder if they will have anything setup like this.

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!! I like a lil Whine with my meal when I go out to eat Rice
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post

If I owned track personally, I'd allow everyman for themself, I mean they're wearing helmets and it's almost impossible to topple over.

Remember about kart damage. I worked at Speedworld before part time and I'm their on-call staff (I think). I've seen a lot of broken parts from bumping. We do allow bumping, but it all depends on how hard it is and if it was intentional. We have ignition kill switches that will slow down the karts, but its up to the observer working the computer at the tower overlooking the track, as well as one or two staff sitting somewhere on the track. (between barriers, of course ). So if someone's being stupid, the guy at the computer will kill the kart's ignition and that kart won't be able to do more than 5 kph for a few seconds until the guy restores power. (sometimes doing that, flames shoot out of the catalyst convertor exhaust )

For toppling over, it is ALMOST impossible, but it can happen. These karts at Speedworld are pretty fast, and on a good day when the track temperature and humidity is just right, it is possible to corner hard and the two inside tires gets lifted off the track. I've seen it when I was behind that kart. We have polished concrete (they wish they have asphalt, but they lease the building and the ana1 landlord doesn't allow permanent treatment to the surface, yet) but they have done something to the tires to make it grip the track like a h0rny teenager. So it grips pretty good.

Leagues here are a blast. It is a total of 30 minutes, 6 minute qualifying then two 12 minute heats. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I finished my league last December and will start another one soon. This Glow in the dark racing started last week, and I'm thinking my next league will be in the dark

If anyone wonders, there's over 60 black light tubes in there.

[This message has been edited by Ferrari_cdn (edited 06-28-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
BTW - do you have any direct contact for the place with the night racing? The management down here at ProKart might be interested in talking over some of the finer points of the setup...
Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Their website is at www.speedworld.ca. You can get the email through there.

[This message has been edited by Ferrari_cdn (edited 06-28-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock