Virus? by moleman_in_a_FieroGT
Started on: 06-26-2006 06:20 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: FieroRumor on 06-27-2006 12:25 AM
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg.... I can't log into Ebay or Yahoo or Paypal or Duke. I get the "Problem loading page" on Firefox. I think that it was all working fine this morning; it was working well yesterday. Perhaps a coincidence, but could this be a virus?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
perhaps I should elaborate. I can access Yahoo and Ebay, and use the searches and everything; but I get the message when I try to log in. I haven't tested the other two websites. I successfully logged into another site, though (the scambaiter, in case you're wondering)...

Edit: further elaboration: I can't access secure pages- pages whose URL begins with https...

[This message has been edited by moleman_in_a_FieroGT (edited 06-26-2006).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Well it could be several things.
First off Try the sites under Explorer. IF they work there, then it is your browser.
Next if the first did not work (likely won't but DO IT anyway) Do a full spyware scan. When it finishes, boot into safe mode.
Then do a FULL spyware scan, finish, reboot and repeat in regular mode again.
Repeat this process so long as you seem to be getting fewer and fewer found.

If you eventually get a clean scan try again.

Sometimes certain Trojan Loaders that bring spyware programs onto your system can temporarily disable your encryption.
If it still does not work then your cyptographic services in Windows XP are likely broken. Give me a few and I will track down the KB for you.

Randy

*EDIT*
Tell you what, do this....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444/en-us

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 06-26-2006).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Just do a system restore and see how things go...
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Don't do a system restore if you want things to work after...
Those things are evil.
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I did the restore, and it's working fine. Fortunately, my computer did a checkpoint on Saturday, so I keep everything but whatever caused the problem.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I think it was Jax that messed up your pc...! He tried to lead you astray by advising you to not go with the system restore!!!

Nah. Jax is right, if you try to do a system restore after your pc's had a bunch of upgrades, and you installed new stuff, it CAN be a nightmare. I only suggested doing it because you said things were fine YESTERDAY.

Glad it's working, but I'd still scan yer machine ---> lets say something was liying dormant on yer machine for a week or so. Then, it woke up. Did its littrle dance on yer IE area... The system restore may fix the issue, but the sleeping beasty may still be coiled up in your system 32 folder, gettin' ready to wake up again...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock